Positive Reinforcement Systems

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Roswenth, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Roswenth

Roswenth Rookie

Oct 5, 2007

I have an assignment to come up with a bunch of different positive reinforcement systems, but my textbooks pretty just refer to them, and don't explain some ways to do them.

I have verbal already (and that's sorta common sense), but what sorts of positive reinforcements have you used in your classrooms that have been effective? I think star charts are pretty common, along with treasure boxes, but most of the research I have been doing has come up with reasons for doing positive reinforcement and not actually ways of putting it into practice.

3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2007

In the Princeton Review, we would give candy -- Hershey's kisses or whatever. Praise, of course, though it could also be nonverbal -- a thumbs-up, applause, or a pat on the back. I saw a book where the reward was little strips of paper.

My son's second grade class is arranged on a baseball theme, with each table scoring "runs" or getting "strikes". It's cute, but I suspect there are some issues. When I went to open house after the first month, the most runs any team had was four. It was four tables, so after 20 days of classes that's about a run every other day. Clearly not enough. Plus that it's a lot harder to reinforce groups.

Keep in mind a lot of things can be positive reinforcers -- even yelling at kids. A positive reinforcer is anything that increases a particular behavior by definition. If it does not increase the behavior, it is not a reinforcer.

When you consider the system, consider how often you'd give reinforcers (you probably want a variable schedule, but implementing this can be a challenge -- it needs to be variable for the subject, not you), what specific behavior you'd give them for (the more specific, the better), how you'll monitor the behavior you're reinforcing and how immediately you'll give the reinforcer (very immediate is better).

4. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Oct 5, 2007

Rick Morris (New Management) has a super website and he gives super seminars.

5. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Oct 5, 2007

go to mspowell.com and check out her systems there are some positive ones (I am trying the behavior beads this year, and seems to work pretty well). Also I am using a class positive reinforcement strategy--I have an ice cream come and they can earn ice cream scoops for each good day they have as a CLASS, once they reach the goal they will receive a class party (movie, eat lunch in the room, ice cream party). I hope this helps!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2007

Consider the videos at
    here, particularly the "Use of Praise" clip.

Give the reinforcer AFTER the behavior you want is shown.

Actually. . . it would be really good if you could get them to reinforce each other for doing what you want them to do. They're far better at monitoring each other than you'll ever be. Of course, you'd somehow have to keep it from being a popularity contest...

7. Roswenth

Roswenth Rookie

Oct 5, 2007

I had forgotten about the bead system. My roommate worked at a summer camp where they used that with necklaces, and she said it worked miracles. Some beads were 'special', too, and represented goals that the children achieved, sorta like Boy Scout badges. Instead of taking back the beads, the kids got to keep them on their necklaces. I thought that was a really interesting system.

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2007

I have individual postive reinforcements. I use the traffic light system and for every day they keep their clips on green, they get a star on a chart. For every 10 stars, they can go to the treasure box.

I have group reinforcements too. I have a jar of popcorn kernels. The class can earn scoops of popcorn. When the jar is full of kernels, they've earned a popcorn/movie party.

I also use lots of verbal praise, thumbs up, pats on the back.

9. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Oct 6, 2007

I have a gift bag with a star on it. When my kinders do something well, I give them a star and they write their name on it. they put the star in the bag and when I need a helper (that is a big deal in kinder) I pull a name from the bag. This system works very well. The kids that are not behaving now know what they should do because I tell the whole class why the child received a star, the child who was behaving is encouraged to keep it up, and I do not need a job chart as I just pull names.
    The kids love it and I love it.

10. polgacri

polgacri Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

My class is organized in 6 rows, each given a color. When the rows get ready quickly, bring a healthy snack or get questions right on an Accelerated Reader test, they earn slips for their row. If someone does something especially nice or brings in boxtops, the class gets a compliment from a special class teacher, or students stays on green all week, white slips are earned. At the end of the week, students count the slips up and we talk about probability, then I pick one slip. The winning row goes to the Treasure Chest. If I pick a white slip, the class can get extra recess or a candy treat. You'd be surprised how badly they want to earn slips or how proud they are when they can add them.

11. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 8, 2007

Team-I give team points. Every 10 points they get, they go to the treasure box.

Class-I give whole class "rings" when the jar gets full the kids get a reward (first jar-free time in classroom, second jar-free recess, thrid jar-party of their choice and then it starts over)

My school also does tickets for our cool kid trait. This month is respect. Any time we see a kid showing respect we give them a ticket which goes in for a drawing for a prize by the admin.

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 8, 2007

What do you mean by "free recess"? does that mean an addition recess during class time?

13. Roswenth

Roswenth Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

I've been writing everything down; these are really helpful!

14. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 9, 2007

Yes, I give 10-15 minutes of extra recess. It takes them 2-3 months to fill a jar. My kids love this!!!! They only get one recess for 15 min. on other days.