Positive feedback

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 13, 2013

Some people say I don't post enough positive things about what happens in my classroom. Last week, I was observed by two coaches (one being my VP) on the same day. Their feedback was as such:

Coach 1: "I have never seen such quiet control of middle schoolers before! Overall I think your management was top-notch!"

Coach 2 (VP): "You are a truly gifted teacher. When I walked in every student was engaged in your lesson so that they didn't even notice me enter." (It's not a gift, I've actually struggled and worked VERY hard for the past two years to get to this point, but I appreciate her sentiment.)

I think we can all share some positive feedback we've received whether it's from parents, administrators, students, other teachers, etc. so it can help us remember that we're good teachers even when we're having bad days. So what good feedback have you received lately?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2013

Awesome news!!

4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Oct 13, 2013

This is my 2nd year teaching and I always feel like I'm just not doing enough. My para was out 2 days last week, and 2 different subs commented that my class was the most organized and well behaved preschool classroom they has been in. It might not have come from admin, but it still meant a lot to hear :)

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 13, 2013

Awesome! Always great to hear good feedback from a sub. :)

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 13, 2013

One of my parents went to my principal to ask how I could be nominated for Teacher of the Year.

7. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 13, 2013

My sped director told me that she enjoys coming in my room because of the relationships I have with my students. She also told me she hopes I never leave our school! Wow, it sure sounds like bragging which is so not like me to talk about myself!

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 13, 2013

-We had a meeting with a parent last week and she told the team how happy her child is since starting in our school. She says he's always smiling when he gets on and off the bus and wants to know what we do that makes him so happy? (I really don't know LOL).
    -I'm still getting compliments on my classroom when people come in and see the "difficult" student working nicely at his desk (he was the one who had the other teacher who said she couldn't handle him anymore). He's just a little boy. I don't "handle" him. I teach him and treat him the right way :dizzy:

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 13, 2013

When I was first hired, staff told me my ideas wouldn't fly. There was no way it was happening. The program participants (adults with developmental disabilities) would not be motivated to work (vocational program) because they tried. They would not have time to implement what I planned because they are already spread too thin. They completely rebelled. When the manager left and I took over, in two weeks I made a believer out of them. Not only are the participants actually staying engaged and working, the staff is fitting so much more into the program than they ever thought possible. I've had compliments from them as well as outside agencies on the complete turn around in a short period.

One staff said we had 2 bosses before you but somehow you managed what they didn't and in just two weeks!

Another staff told me she wasn't sure what the point of what I was expecting but after seeing the participants following our first major accomplishment, she totally got it.

Then just the second week I managed to secure not one but 5 new paying jobs and have two more potential contacts! Now THAT was a morale booster. We just finished our first week adding those jobs and it was a bit too much to handle all at once but they were pouring in and I didn't want to decline.

Our CEO asked one staff how I was doing. He said, "She stays on my a** but I'm learning a lot!"

I had a participant who was cursing me out in the beginning and telling staff to make me stop (expecting her to stop playing puzzles and work). Now she tells everyone how much she likes staying busy and likes her new jobs. She's now hugging me and thanking me.

There is so much left to do and so much improvement to make but for now, I think I will celebrate the positives.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2013

:wow: Congrats on that one - that is quite impressive! :wow:

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2013

Last week I was working with a couple of students at my table at the front of the room. I always keep one ear on the rest of the class, although they don't seem to realize that I can hear them. Three girls in the back of the room were working on a translation together and one of the girls said, "Caesar is a really great teacher. I've learned a lot this year." It melted my heart to hear that, especially since she didn't say it to me directly so I know she wasn't fishing for an A or anything like that. :lol: :wub:

12. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Oct 13, 2013

Another teacher in my department stopped me in the hall to tell me what one of her former students, who I have this year) told her about my class. She said that she finally feels like she understands language and how to write, and she actually feels excited about English class now instead of dreading it. Really warmed my heart.

13. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Oct 13, 2013

Positive!

This is not exactly positive, but coming from this particular woman, it was high praise. After hearing that I'd applied for another teaching job and that my principal had written a reference letter, the AP said, "I hope you don't get it."

Once a student's father wrote me a note thanking me for helping his daughter find herself. I didn't know exactly what he meant, but I appreciated him taking the time to tell me.

My favorite one was when my mom ran into a parent of a student in my school and the woman told her that her friends who had children in my class, including some who tended to complain about teachers, raved about me and said that I understand their children. :eek: It was my first year in a new school district and I was concerned about how I would be perceived, so that meant a lot.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2013

I have been teaching for quite a few years. I had a young lady once who spent her entire 2nd grade year under the desk and unable to participate in class. We worked with her for years to get her to learn to read and overcome academic and personal roadblocks. She was considered (at one time) "unteachable".

She will be graduating from High School this year with a regular diploma and I have been invited to the graduation. I don't live in that town anymore and she called me personally to tell me that I am the only one of her former teachers that she wants to invite.

Sometimes the good things don't happen immediately.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2013

These stories are great!

I'm in a new position this year for the first time, and my director told me that another diagnostician had told her that I really knew what I was doing and was going to make a great diagnostician for the dept.