Positive behavior system for ED students

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by sej001, Sep 2, 2009.

1. sej001

sej001 Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

Hello!! I am a second year teacher of special ed. grades 2-4. I had a rough first year with a few very tricky students. I am looking to find a new individual behavior system to use with 2 of my emotionally disturbed students this year. Last year I used individual sticker charts with them that had specific criteria they had to earn throughout each class period (i.e., sticker for being in seat, sticker for staying calm). The students had a goal for the day and if they reached the goal they earned a prize or got free time at the end of the day. The system worked at first, but one of my students was almost always out of the classroom towards the end of the year for discipline reasons, so earning stickers throughout the day became an issue. It wasn't very rewarding for him since he was rarely actually in the classroom. I would like to try something new with them this year. Any ideas for a behavior system for emotionally disturbed students that focuses on the positive? (These students do not like having things taken away, so it MUST be positive) I appreciate any and all ideas!! Thanks so much!

3. sej001

sej001 Rookie

Sep 6, 2009

bump

4. SnoopyTeacher

SnoopyTeacher Companion

Sep 9, 2009

We use a daily point sheet. I am in the K-2 classroom and we change their levels daily. However in 2-12th grades, they earn a new level each week. They have to have a certain number of points per week to advance to the next level. The levels are based on their privileges for the week and/or anything special that might pop up during the week.

5. teacher366

teacher366 New Member

Sep 25, 2009

It is also important to set attainable goals for students with ED. If that means the first few days, they work for 1-2 stickers, so be it. They will only become upset if they miss their goal. Set them up for success.