Positive Behavior Support

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catsos2, Jan 6, 2009.

1. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Jan 6, 2009

My school is beginning to implement Positive Behavior Support (PBS) school wide. I guess it's a state wide initiative in Florida?? That's what they're telling us, anyway.

The plan is to basically reward kids like crazy for their positive behaviors to increase motivation. These rewards are usually tangible rewards- tickets to turn in for prizes, little toys, "healthy" snacks (although I think most teachers use candy), and other rewards.

It also involves ignoring minor misbehavior in hopes that the students will be motivated to change these behaviors when the other students in the class are being rewarded.
    For instance, the trainer said that if you want one kid to stop acting up and the rest of the people around him are doing well, you should give a ticket to the kids on either side of him. This is supposed to motivate the misbehaving kid to act as the other children are acting.

I was wondering what other teachers thought about this?[/I]

I feel like praise and pats-on-the-back should be enough reward for most good behavior. I don't feel like I need to give the kids tangible incentives to, say, stay in their seats and listen quietly. Good behavior is expected.

One thing I used to love was giving out "Positive Office Visits." This is where you send the kid to the office with a note after they had an OUTSTANDING achievement or moment. I did like this a lot until, because of this new PBS system, the administration started giving out prizes. I think a hug from the P or Asst. P and your name on the morning announcements should be prize enough. Now the kid gets a free lunch the next day, a pencil, a certificate, a handshake, their names on the announcements, and sometimes a gift certificate to Chuck E. Cheese. That seems like a lot to me...

We have been bombarded with PBS propaganda - stats and anecdotal evidence from schools around us and nationwide. They say that PBS is working in K-12. That it is keeping high schoolers in school, getting minor behavior issues under control, and making it easier for teachers in the classroom. It seems to be working, but is a reward system based completely on tangible rewards something that will be good long-term? Is rewarding kids every time they are doing what is expected a good thing?

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2009

My old school was involved in PBS. All we did was had three main rules for the school that everyone must adhere to. Be responsible, Be respectful, be safe. You could put all kind of things under each main rule. If a student did just about anything their name was announced at announcement time and they got a Bee Pin or Bee Zipper pull. Then your name was put on a card and put up in the cafeteria. Your teacher or anyone at the school could nominate you for a "bee" Every child in the school was nominated only once during a year. I kind of objected to only being nominated once because if you got it at the beginning of the year you really had nothing to work for. We also did a King and Queen of each grade level every six weeks. We had themes for during a six weeks that corressponded with whatever the couselor topic was for the grading period. The teachers would nominate and then pick their own every six weeks and it was the grade levels decision to decide how they nominated the kids.
    I think for those kids who are easily motivated by cheap toys and trinkets then it works. I know several kids who could have cared less if they ever got a "bee" or not. I think for some kids the hugs would have meant more to them.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 6, 2009

Sounds like a money-making proposal for PBS, I'm a lot more skeptical these days about new stuff in education. There's usually a hefty price tag attached.

So... these kids are stroked for every little thing and they grow up and feel unappreciated for doing the right thing... no bells and whistles for doing the best at your job??

I think it teaches kids to be unappreciative & unrealistic adults

5. LoriVincent

LoriVincent Rookie

Jan 6, 2009

PBS is in "full swing" at my school. I serve on the PBS committee. For the most part, our surveys show that our faculty believes that PBS has lowered the number of office referrals and discipline incidents this school year. However, a small % of teachers believe that the new PBS system has been a burden because of additional responsibilites and paperwork/documentation. We use other local schools as models, and we plan to make changes as needed.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 6, 2009

I'm a big fan of PBS... I would strongly suggest you go to www.pbis.org to get a better idea of what it is. It is a system that has been proven to work when done properly. It is more of a philosophy than a prescriptive practice. A lot of what PBS (or PBIS - Positive Behavior Interventions and Support) stands for is behaviour management techniques and expanding those to a school-wide approach. While I have limited knowledge of RTI (it's not as big in Canada as it is in the US) it seems to follow the same model.

I would say before you go throwing it away, take a look at the website to see what PBIS really is, because it's not what you've described to me... though it can involve positive reinforcement, it doesn't rely solely on that... it's working at finding a way to come to a solution on problem behaviours.

7. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jan 6, 2009

I started using Positive Behavior Supports in my classroom this year. I think there alot more strategies than what you mentioned. If you go to the CSEFEL website, there is a ton of information you could look at, including training modules and things you can print off and use (such as pre-made social stories). In general, things have gone alot better in my classroom this year, with all the supports in place. My kids tattle less, argue less, etc. I have lots of strategies to use when conflicts do arise, and eventually I hope the kids will be able to solve their problems by themselves using the techniques we practice. It sure is a nice change from the tattling, etc. that I had in my class for the past few years. The website is:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/csefel/ or you could just google csefel.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 6, 2009

I can see how this might work for younger grades, but how exactly does it work on the secondary level? Specifically in a high school? High school kids don't exactly want to be acknoweldged in front of their peers. So how does it work in a high school? Last year at the middle school we started giving out prizes to kids who had zero missing work. I am assuming that it might be like the PBS thing. Some of the prizes included extended lunch, a bmx bike demonstration, and the kids who had missing work just could not participate. We had started it the second half of the school year, and I don't know if they are still doing it (I was a tutor then) or how it ended up working (or not).

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 7, 2009

The main problem here is that people are confusing positive reinforcement (an effective tool that is used in PBS in many situations, but not all) with PBS, which is a behaviour "toolbox". Much like the goal in RTI is to make sure every child achieves, PBS is set up to make sure that every child behaves. It's a simplistic way of looking at it, but that's it in a nutshell.

10. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Jan 7, 2009

Thank you for all of your information. I am basically being fed info about PBS and I guess it is not all that accurate.

For instance: (dfleming, you might get a kick of of this because this is obviously not the way your school does it...) our trainer told us that with PBS our referrals will dramatically drop. At the next meeting we were told by administration that we would no longer be writing office referrals because we are now using PBS. We will instead send children to a time-out area and an administrator will review our notes about the incident and decide if disciplinary action is necessary. With this method OF COURSE referrals will go down. We were told only to use a referral if there is a fist fight!!!

I have a lot of research to do now, so thanks for the website info. Our trainer was there for only one session and all of our other training will be done "in house" by our administration. I wouldn't be surprised if they were only using the parts of the model that will get us immediate results (hence the onslaught of rewards).

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 7, 2009

PBS is only as good as the teachers/staff using it. If it is only about monetary rewards, then no it will not work. Like others have said, it is a toolbox. We still have to TEACH them how to behave, be consistent, run good classroom management, etc. Sometimes people misunderstand and assume that this is the magic bullet and it is all they have to do.

I'm not completely for or against an incentive program. I have mixed feelings as well. At the end of the day, whatever you decide, you have to carefully consider what you are doing and why you are doing it. Just make sure it doesn't become something that keeps you from seeing the other pieces in the puzzle.

12. MJH

MJH Companion

Jan 7, 2009

Just Starting

My school is in the first year of PBS and we just had a big Kick Off Rally yesterday to fully implement the 3 expectations. The rest of the week the committee is teaching the lessons to the whole school the lesson plans that were developed for each area of the school.

I too am leary about giving rewards for behavior but my rewards are not material rewards. The students get free reading time, no homework pass, free computer time, eating lunch with me, reading to the principal and missing one assignment. The tickets work for the kids who normally behavior and most of the time for those that are board line.

You will still have those kids that it will not work for, it's normal. Those are the hard to reach kids. It is because of those kids that I voted to implement PBS for the school. There is a third level to the behavior and those kids that are at that level do a check in/check out each day. They are assigned to someone and each morning they stop by to chat with that person about what their behavior for the day. Check out then is at the end of the day and is a review of the day. This is what I'm waiting to be implemented.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2009

CutNglure: I share those same mixed feelings as you.

14. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 8, 2009

My P. wants to implement this..and you have written my sentiments exactly. All this is teaching them is 1. the P. is a push over, she is too positive in her approach when faced with discipline,2. that they can act good for one second, get a prize, and act stupid the next second.
    I am so disappointed that our district buys into every gimmick out there. It puts so much pressure on us.