Positive Behavior Support

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by frogger, Jul 21, 2008.

1. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 21, 2008

The school district I will be teaching in this fall uses PBS - I get the main concept of it and it is to reward and focus on the positive behavior of the children.

Does anyone on here use it?

And what do you do with PBS in place for those students who do something negative or not following the rules? Is there still a consequence? If so what is it? What kind of system does someone use for it that complements PBS?

Thanks! :)

3. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Jul 21, 2008

We have a school-wide positive behavior support system at my school. We have little 'paws' (paw prints copied on to specific colored paper) that they can receive for showing positive behavior. Our system goes by the acronym CATS (Cooperative, Appropriate Attitude, Trustworthy, and Self-Control). We have student-made posters around the school that show what proper CATS means for the Cafeteria, Hallways, Restrooms, in the class, on the bus, and in the auditorium. We do not give the PAWS for academic reasons (they don't earn them based on grades or achievement, just behavior). There is still a system if they choose not to use appropriate behavior (K-2 uses color changes and 3-5 uses names/checks. When I put a name on the board I mark it with a letter (c,a,t,s) to show which type of behavior they were not showing. It's great because at the end of the day when they ask "why did I get a name?" I can look at the board and remind them that they did not show self-control or whatever.
    The paws are saved up at we have a PAWS store at the end of each month that the discipline committee runs. We carry the paws around and can reward kids that aren't ours (if you see a 1st grader waiting quietly for the drinking fountain or you see a 5th grader holding the door for someone, etc).
    I enjoy it because it makes me look for the good and not focus on the negative. When I'm getting in a funk, I make a goal to give out X number of paws that day and it usually really turns my mood around!

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

We have one warning rule this year all teachers at the middle school 5th-8th grade have to do this.. We give one warning not verbally we go to the board place the childs name on the board. If they continue we fill out a yellow form while teaching then we go to the door call the child's name hand them the form and shut the door. We call the office on the intercom and let them know that child is coming to the office. After three write ups the child receives ISS.

5. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

We started using PBS last year (I am actually going to two day workshop for it next week). Some of the basics are --have no more than 3 rules and state them in a positive way (ex. 1. Be a good friend 2. Be a good listener #. Be a good worker). Also we have a campus wide program where students can be "caught" doing good things. If they are "caught" then they get a slip to fill out and place in a box...every Friday they draw 3-6 names out of the box for a T-Shirt.
    You will still have to fill out discipline forms for those who cannot seem to follow the rules, but the hope is that you will not have to do it near as often because they will see that those with good behavior are the ones getting rewarded.

I HOPE THIS HELPS!!! Good Luck with PBS this year. :2up:

6. smannes

smannes Companion

Jul 25, 2008

I don't know much about it because our school attempted it last year but it quickly went away.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2008

My school started implementing it last year. We also use pawprints, but we stuck to one color because it was a lot to implement all at once (also in conjunction with the academic piece of RtI).

We have 4 R Rules at my school: Be Ready, Be Responsible, Be Respectful, and Be Resourceful. It helps that we all have a common language to use when students are or are not showing 4R behavior.

In my classroom, everytime a kid earns a pawprint, he/she gets a class coin. They spend their class coins in my class store. We tally the pawprints up every Friday and I pull 2 names each week to receive a prize from the Office as well.

Thats all I can think of right now...I'm sure I will think of other things to add later:)

8. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Jul 31, 2008

I've been with this program for two years. A lot of people think it is a positive focus on children, but from what I understand it is actually, a change in ADULT thinking. I worked in a middle school. Teachers would SCREAM at students and wonder why the kids responded with cussing or eye rolling. The main mantra is you must change the adult thinking and responses to change the student responses.

Day one we teach all expectations in all settings. There were three school wide rules. On day one we toured the building and the students were taught expected behavior in each setting. We were strongly suggested not to give consequences during the first week. (Not formal detentions). We were to reteach the behavior.

As the year progressed, when misbehavior occured, a consequence was given AS WELL AS teaching the proper behavior. This was a new concept to many people in the school.

The students could earn tickets when they were caught being good. These were used every two weeks in an auction. The school is working on more "free" ways to use the tickets.

If you have other questions, I can answer them. I was on the universal (main) team for two years.