Positions being filled ...?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lionsmane, May 4, 2013.

1. lionsmane

lionsmane Rookie

May 4, 2013

Hi all .. I've been applying to many positions on the NC DPI website and usually send a cover letter/letter of introduction to the principal when applying.

I have gotten a few replies saying that my application will be considered, which is appreciated since I haven't normally heard back from anyone when applying for jobs. This week I received two emails from principals saying positions had been filled, yet the jobs had been posted for maybe a week or less. Is the position truly filled, or are they just not interested in interviewing me?:(

Also ... is there anyone out there who has found success using the NCDPI website? Is emailing the listed principal the way to go?

Thank you!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 4, 2013

If the principal says that a position has been filled, it has probably been filled. Remember, this is an employer's market. Even when jobs are posted for a week or less, an employer might still be receiving hundreds of applications or more. It's also always a possibility that an internal candidate received a position that was advertised publicly. Sometimes this happens when there are legal requirements about posting all open jobs. It could also be that an internal candidate saw a posting, decided to apply, and was fast-tracked into the position because the principal knows what that candidate is capable of. My advice is to move on and search for new positions.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 4, 2013

Most hiring in NC comes from a principal directly. You need to look on each district's website for openings instead of relying on DPI.

5. teach42

teach42 Comrade

May 4, 2013

ditto. i always normally apply directly unless they specifically say you have to go through a different channel.

6. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 4, 2013

In my state the jobs have to be posted even if a candidate has already been selected. Usually these jobs are only posted for like 3-4 days.

7. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 5, 2013

For a position to be filled in a week or so tells me the obvious. They probably have interns or long-terms subs that they already had decided to put into that position once the vacancy was announced. They still have to post a vacancy on DPI for 10 days even if the position has been filled. Hope this helps.

Just out of curiousity, what part of the state are you applying in? (west of Charlotte, Charlotte area, Triad area, Triangle area, other Piedmont, coast, etc). Cities with major universities: Charlotte, Greensboro, Wilmington, Greenville, Raleigh, etc. are going to have a lot of interns in place already, just FYI. Make sure you are applying to rural areas around you too.

*personal experience*

8. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

May 7, 2013

I went to college in NC, and applied and interviewed at a couple NC school districts. I had my application on the NCDPI, but I did not use that as my only way of applying. Generally, I would go on each district's website and they would have directions on how to apply and the most current openings. Most of the districts I applied at would ask for you to have an application on file with the NCDPI, but also would ask for you to apply formally through HR or directly with the principal. I would generally just follow whatever instructions were on each district's website.

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 7, 2013

In my district open positions are posted in the building for a week, across the district for a week, and then publicly. If other districts follow a similar procedure it is possible that the job will be posted publicly before internal candidates are even interviewed.

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 7, 2013

Agreed--check the district's website--most of them will direct you DPI. I am a new graduate and pretty much all of the districts here on the coast require application through NCDPI, nothing through the actual district anymore. Then I recommend emailing the principal to get them to see how serious you are about the position, since it is the principals who do the hiring. The two exceptions I can think of are the county I live in (which still does paper applications) and Onslow. Usually the coast is the LEAST progressive part of the state, so I imagine Forsyth, Guilford, Charlotte-Mecklenburg, Wake, Durham, etc. counties pioneered this & they and their surrounding counties are pretty much strictly the apply on NCDPI and then contact the principal method.