Portuguese - Languages Other Than English

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Jbommcal, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Jbommcal

Jbommcal Rookie

Nov 6, 2011

Portuguese - Languages Other Than English
    Exam number 302 - Subtest I (well, it's the only Portuguese CSET test so I'm not sure why they number it subtest)

I have searched high and low for discussions about this test, but it looks like it is not a popular one.

I just took the test on Saturday 11/5, and I feel I did not do horribly.

But there was so little information and prep materials (besides the CSETs actual LOTE guide) that I wasn't sure what to expect.

Did anyone else take this? How do you feel you did? Any thoughts?

Also, in order to get credentialed this was only one of two tests we have to take. The other is a non-CSET language test by the "Commission-approved assessor agency" which for this language is CSU Stanislaus. Has anyone take care of this other test? What can you tell me about it? Or is this so new that no one knows what I'm talking about?!? :help:
    The info about this (which also affects Hebrew and Italian) is in the CTC credential leaflet cl674s.

Thanks so much for your responses :)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 6, 2011

The Portuguese CSET is a little unusual, it's true. It consists solely of written responses in which one demonstrates knowledge of linguistics, discussed points of Portuguese grammar and pragmatics or culture, and explicates some work(s) of literature.

Developing good tests of speaking and listening skills is a challenge, no matter what the language; I'm guessing that CSU Stanislaus must already have had a workable test for Portuguese speaking and listening.

If you've passed advanced oral exams in Portuguese, I doubt this one will throw you much - though you'd probably be smart to review notorious trouble spots in Portuguese syntax and phonology.

When you get your scores, let us know how you did, please.

4. Jbommcal

Jbommcal Rookie

Jan 16, 2012

Thanks for your response, T.G. I got my test results from the CSET Portuguese exam #302, and I passed. Hooray! I still have to satisfy this other language exam in order to get credentialed. I haven't actually taken advanced exams in Portuguese. It's a language where I took a class or two, but most my schooling was traveling, living, interacting with Portuguese speakers. I may need to study more to raise my academic language skills (especially with writing).

Do you know if this is the sort of credential which has a small window of opportunity? I heard that for a few years it was impossible to even get credentialed in this and other LsOTE. Should I just wait until I'm quite confident before taking the test and risk the window being closed, or take it sooner than later.

Thanks for you help!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 16, 2012

Congratulations on passing CSET LOTE Portuguese!

The Web site of the Center for Portuguese Studies at CSU Stanislaus (http://www.csustan.edu/cps/index.html) indicates the director of the center, Elmano Costa, used to be in teacher education; evidently CSUS is also a force in developing K-12 curriculum in Portuguese language. Let me urge you to contact the center to find out more about the test.

6. Jbommcal

Jbommcal Rookie

Jan 16, 2012

Thank you for your suggestions and encouragement. I will do that.

7. Dani C

Dani C New Member

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:08 AM

Hello,
    Have anyone taken the Portuguese Language assessment at CSU Stanislaus?
    What kind of writing do they request in this assessment?
    I did the Cset Portuguese and I passed, now I need to do the Language assessment, and I am wondering if someone could give some tips