Portfolio to interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by b_bo, Aug 12, 2011.

1. b_bo

b_bo Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

I have an interview on Monday ( my first ever for teaching)...and I have this huge portfolio. I have mixed reviews on wether or not I should bring the entire thing and know where the things are that I want to talk about..or if I should just pull the pieces I really want to show and have those in a folder?

Thanks in advance!!

3. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Aug 12, 2011

Get it down into a 1 inch binder at the most and take it with you. Think of your answers to questions and what you can use to answer them. Make sure you know what is in there. Pull it out to show examples if your answers call for it.

They probably won't ask to see it, but offer it up just in case. I've been on two interviews the past couple weeks. One principal in the first interview was all over looking at my examples and was impressed. The second interview I pulled it out and, no lie, the principal had a "Seriously?!" look on her face when I tried to show her something. Needless to say, that second interview didn't go so well. :)

I wish you luck!

4. labar

labar Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

Take it all!!!! I've never been to an interview of where they've actually asked to see what all is in it, but you definitely use it to help answer your questions. If they ask you a question on classroom management...pull out you list/syllabus for classroom management. If they ask you about communicating with parents, pull out maybe a newsletter you've made at some point during your training. If they ask you how you know your meeting state standards, pull out a lesson plan that labels what standards are met. Etc...

Because I know principals never have time to go through everything in a portfolio I always gave the P's a digital copy(on dics) that had my praxis scores, lesson plans, individual growth plans, and other relevant examples pertaining to the position I was interviewing for. The position I got hired for, the principal absolutely loved my portfolio and the fact that I had a digital copy for her to keep. As the other poster said though, some principals may act like they could care less. In these cases I would probably almost assume you were never a top candidate to begin with.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 13, 2011

I've always taken it with, and never had anyone actually ask to see it. when I ca,n I've used it to show what I was talking about... like when they asked for examples of differentiation, I pulled out pictures of a project I'd done that showed that.

I believe one of the things that landed me my current job was the several pages of "work jobs" I had in there... I could have told them what I know, but showing photos made it obvious that I've done this before, which I think helped.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

Would you consider bringing the whole thing, but spending some time this weekend making up a brochure containing the highlights???

I see a read advantage to giving each person doing the interview something they can look at as you speak or after you've left.

7. b_bo

b_bo Rookie

Aug 14, 2011

Thank you for all the advice!

I have thought of the brochure idea, but I really am not sure that would be as effective for me--I have typed myself a table of contents that makes it easy for me to see/know what is in each standard/tab.

My theory is that showing them something to back up what I am saying can only be a good thing right? and my friend that just got hired, at the end when they asked her if she had anything else she was like "yeah, if we have time I would like to show you a few things I didn't get to earlier" and just started pulling things out that she wanted to show them. I have a webquest, labs, classroom mngt plan(s) etc and I just don't know how to narrow it down into a brochure...

I even considered bringing my laptop to show them the technology based lessons, but not sure if I will yet. I figure I could always bring it and if I don't use it then I don't use it....because they are probably not going to want to go to a computer where I can show them...or maybe I could email the principal the URL's to the different things when I get home? I have a lot of past student work where they made Prezi's etc that I want them to see.

8. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Aug 14, 2011

I used a brochure for the first time this year and loved it. Having one to give each panel member really gave me a lot more confidence. I could see in the interview that they were looking at it and it's been mentioned a few times at my new job!

I always brought my portfolio as a security blanket. I don't remember ever actually taking it out but I have been asked by a secretary to bring it on a few occassions.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

Principals dont want to have to go online after the interview is over, so I probably wouldn't suggest that.

If you're just out of college, they can probably assume you're good with technology.

They're probably concerned with classroom management-- that's frequently an issue with new teachers.

Why not start a thread here asking what people put into their brochures? (Or do a search of people who have already posted that info.)

I do think it would make you stand out in just the way you want.

10. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 14, 2011

I take my entire portfolio, but the key for me is going through interview questions beforehand and marking off specific things in my portfolio that show examples or answers to questions. So when a question is asked that related to something I've marked off, I just easily flip right to it (instead of having to dig 5 minutes for it), but I also have the entire binder there in case anything unexpected comes up. I have had principals and interview committees ask to look through the entire things. The last job I was hired for they spent probably 10 minutes flipping through and informally asking me questions about things.

Good luck! I have an interview on Monday too, we can cheer each other on!

11. b_bo

b_bo Rookie

Aug 14, 2011

I am a post-bacc student, so I am just entering the teaching field but I have a lot of experience working in my subject area in diff jobs...

Maybe what I am going to do is pull out the "for sure" things, the key things I want to show them/use to validate what I am saying--and have those together very easy to get to etc..and then, if I need anything else from my portfolio I will have it.

I have a couple of labs, a webquest, some differentiated pieces etc. that I think are key so they could be pulled out and used.

And yes--we can cheer each other on!! go us :)

12. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 14, 2011

Yes! Definitely something that shows differentiation! The way you are planning on doing it sounds great :). I see you're in WI, me too! It's certainly not an easy area to get a job lately (though I don't think there is one haha!). This is off topic, but may I ask where in Wisconsin you are? You don't have to answer.