Portfolio Storage?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Aug 8, 2008.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 8, 2008

Here's where my inexperience shows. My P. told us today that we had to keep a portfolio on each of our students. I have no problem with that, but I also have no experience with it either. Should I get a binder for each of my lovelies, or just use file folders? Would file folders be big enough? Any and all definitions and assistance will be greatly appreciated!

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 8, 2008

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 8, 2008

I'd use a folder file for each student. The pizza box is a good thought (I've seen it used before) but it takes up a huge amount of space, and it is a bit unruly to deal with.

KISS -- Keep it simple, sweetie! Folder files in a tub work for me. I can take them home if needed, and I can pull just one out for the counselor or VP when they need it for an IEP eligibility meeting.

5. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 8, 2008

I use file folder/hanging folders placed in a crate. I can easily take the crate with me as well as lock it up if needed. :)

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

Happy Birthday! I keep my HS kids' portfolios in hanging folders in a file cabinet (because I have over 150 of them.)

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

What does he mean by portfolio? Is that just a random collection of work by the kids or an organized reflection on their growth?

I'm going to have a hanging file for each student this year, and they'll put their work and 'memories' in it as the year progresses. We're going to do student-reflections on the work, but that might be a bit much for your kids. Maybe you would just do that, or do conferences with them to get them done.

Then, each month, I'm going to sit down and compile them into a notebook for the kids. It will be kind of a scrapbook/portfolio/memory book. They'll get it at the end of the year.

You could also get a box of those file folders that have the prongs on the top and put the papers in there-then they wouldn't fall out everywhere when you grab the folder. They have folders that have 'pages' inside-heavy cardboard like the outside-and each page has a prong on it, so you could have a math 'page', a science 'page', ect.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 8, 2008

I've used those "pronged" folders before, when I was an office manager for a construction company, lol. They are wonderful, but also very pricey! I've spent $1000, and I haven't even gotten paid yet! I think for the time being, I'll stick to a file folder (in a hanging pocket). I like the reflections part, so I'll probably try to do that, too.

9. cajunteacher1

cajunteacher1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

u might want to check what you have to keep and for how long?

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2008

One school at which I subbed required that the teacher keep the papers for one year after the children moved on. The teacher I knew kept them stacked by grading periods in a cabinet (closed door) under her classroom fridge.

At our grade-level meeting Thursday, I asked how long we needed to keep the stuff, and was told that I had to keep it over the summer, but once school began the next year, I could "get rid of it," unless there was some pending action.

I'm only required to have 2 grades per week per subject, so I think that's really all I have to save, although I think that I will be adding some other (more authentic) assessments as well.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2008

I put a variety of things in mine. DRA assessments, writing samples, math assessments etc.

This year I'm going to use a seperate folder to put any notes I write about a child in. Any documentation that I do.

This way I have 2 folders, 1 for every day use, the other for work samples. When I have a conference or child study meeting about a child I can just grab their folders & everything is altogether.

Check to see what you need to put in the file and how often.