Portfolio schmortfolio

Discussion in 'General Education' started by engineerkyle, Dec 3, 2011.

1. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Dec 3, 2011

I am wondering how important it is to have a portfolio. I'm not much of a pack-rat, and pride myself in junking stuff once I am done with it... mistake?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2011

You needn't be a pack rat to create a portfolio. It's simply a binder organized into sections highlighting your certifications, sample lessons, photos, philoophy of Ed, letters of rec...

4. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Dec 3, 2011

I think it is extremely important. It gave substance to my interview answers.....I could PROVE I differentiated or came up with creative lessons. So rather than say "Yes, I differentiate by blah, blah, blah", I could say "Well, for example when I was teaching figurative language...." and flip to that section. I have copies of student work (properly made anonymous) to show how it worked for higher and lower ability students.

Also, it helped ground me. Interviews are stressful and having that as a reference reminded me how I do put certain strategies in to practice and jogged my memory for specifics rather than just parroting some praticed edu-babble.

I know in my school, if an interviewee showed up without a portfolio they wouldn't get another interview.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 3, 2011

Make an online portfolio.

6. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Dec 3, 2011

I just saw your other thread about student teaching. I didn't realize you hadn't graduated yet. So you probably haven't tossed anything you need yet. Most likely your program will require a portfolio towards your final grade. My advice is to get an accordian folder, keep EVERYTHING towards portfolio creation, and THEN junk what you think you won't need after you pass your program :)

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 3, 2011

I relied on my porfolio during interviews. I had sample lesson plans for each subject area and then examples of how I would communicate with parents, behavior management, my philosophy of education and student teaching evaluations. I pulled all of those examples out to answer questions.

The key to a portfolio is not how much "stuff" is in it, but how you use it. Show the samples during your interview, and make the panel look at it!

8. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Dec 3, 2011

Definitely keep a portfolio. You'll need it to show your potential boss evidence to back up what you say in an interview.

9. kab164

kab164 Companion

Dec 3, 2011

Portflio

When I was in college for teaching, the year I was a senior they decided that all the time spent on portfolios wasn't worth it. So we weren't required to do one. I don't know how much time administrators have to look at them to be honest.

BUT, now with the new teacher evaluation/student growth law in place in Michigan, we are going to have to turn in a portfolio at the end of the year. YES, our poor principal has to look through 30+ portfolios. I think it's a bit silly but it's a new requirement. We are supposed to include our professional development log, lesson plans, parent contact log and something else that has slipped my mind right now. The 30 year teachers are rolling their eyes!

10. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2011

If you're worried about accumulating junk, then scan the paper pieces, photograph the larger projects, and make a digital portfolio. If you don't want to commit to a binder, you can still print out some choice selections to show at an interview.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 5, 2011

I'm a thrower. I hardly have anything from college (lesson plans, resource books, articles, etc.). Honestly, I do not miss any of it.

When I was applying for jobs 3 years ago, I did not bring a portfolio to any interviews, and I was offered every job that I interviewed for. It may depend on your state/area, but I did not waste my time putting one together, and I got a job in a very tough job market!

12. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Dec 6, 2011

I may also be in the minority... but I have never had a portfolio when I interviewed and I've been offered 3 of 4 positions I interviewed for.

On a side note, when I sat on the interviews last year, we never paid attention to a portfolio.. because we wanted the teacher candidate to be able to express what they did. It all depends on your region.

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 6, 2011

Ironic that this came up here... I have an interview on Friday, and I have been asked to bring my portfolio... I made a portfolio back in University, and never had it returned to me. Any job I've applied for in the past has not requested a portfolio, and now I'm a little panicked as I'm moving into a new place, getting ready to possibly leave my grade fours to move to this new position (that would go to the end of the year), and also preparing for a wedding at the end of the month (not to mention Christmas!)

I have no idea where to start!

14. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Dec 6, 2011

We had to make portfolios for our final project in college. Aside from our portfolio review before graduation, I've never cracked mine open since. No place I interviewed even asked about a portfolio. It must depend on the area!

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 6, 2011

I never had anyone request to bring it, but I always brought mine to help me answer questions. I only went to one place where they actually took it from me and looked at in depth and asked me questions about it.