Portfolio question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Misspoe, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Misspoe

Misspoe New Member

Jun 4, 2009

I am currently subbing but getting ready to put together a portfolio and apply for full time teaching jobs. I have never been a full time teacher and therefor have no lesson plans of my own. Do I need to have lesson plans in my portfolio if I have never taught? Also, do I need to have a teaching philosophy page? Do I just put everything in a nice little folder? I've never made a portfolio. Thanks for any advise!!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2009

I have mine in a binder. I've taught two years but both were in lower level elementary so I got some exciting lessons for upper level as well and put those in there to show off. I have a teaching philosophy. I didn't have to do one in school but when everyone started coming out with them, I decided to make one up. It basically just says how I teach and what students will be doing in my room.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

Misspoe, what have been your experiences in a classroom so far apart from subbing?

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2009

I put in lesson plans I had to make for college courses. Had to do zillions of them, just picked a few of the most original, well-rounded ones.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2009

I chose some lessons from my student teaching that fit in the sections that I'm using. If you don't have any lessons I would make some that you can use to support your answers to some of the common interview questions. Mine is in a binder and I have a philosophy, but I've never had interviewer want to see it, it is just more important that you can vocalize it.

7. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jun 4, 2009

I put examples of student work and stuck them under the teaching standard that they fit under. Do you have any examples from student teaching?

8. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jun 5, 2009

I have a portfolio-related question, as well.

When I did my student teaching we were required to do a MASSIVE (seriously, HUUUUGE) portfolio. Now that I'm applying for jobs, I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. I can't exactly send it out to every school that I'm applying to. Do I bring it to interviews and show them? Do I tell them that I have a portfolio if they'd like to see it?

It seems like this great and useful tool...I'm just not sure what to do with it.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2009

Hi Misspoe and welcome!

This isn't about portfolios, but related advice:

If you're hoping to teach full time in the fall, get those applications out yesterday! Administrators are looking to get their hiring done ASAP. With or without a portfolio, get those resumes out today!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2009

Matteo, Several people here have suggested making a brochure. They take the best of what's in the portfolio and send that out with their cover letter and resume.

It might be worth looking into.

11. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Jun 5, 2009

in my classes we were required to do this huge 3"thick binder....stupid! I chose 3 lesson plans and included those along with resume, philosophy, letter of recommendations, certificate. I brought my huge binder to interviews but no one want to look but figure I could look something up if they ask for it.

12. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

At my interview last week, the administrator told me that he doesn't know why colleges are making kids make portfolios (the huge ones) because he doesn't have time to look at something so massive. He did appreciate my small and simple portfolio that I was able to leave with him. He said that the ones he feels bad about are when he has to turn down the huge ones because he doesn't have time to look through it and doesn't want to be responsible for it.

13. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jun 5, 2009

Yeah, it seemed ridiculous at the time. Mine was seriously overkill. We had to have 16 program goals met and we had to have a page written out defining how we met the program goal and what artifact (e.g. lesson plan, student's work, etc.) that proved that we met this goal. This was on top of the CV, Statement of Philosophy, and all sorts of other crap.

It's kind of depressing that no one wants to look at this piece of work I spent so much time on in school.

Can anyone link me to an example brochure that you're talking about?

14. Misspoe

Misspoe New Member

Jun 6, 2009

None. I am a career changer.

15. Misspoe

Misspoe New Member

Jun 6, 2009

Thank you all so much for the replies. I guess I should have clarified. I am coming into this field after working in corporate America for the past 12 years. I did not go to school for teaching so I don't have any example lesson plans from college. I received my certification in an alternative program called ABCTE. They did not require a portfolio or lesson plans.