Portfolio Organization

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by zoey'smom, Dec 23, 2011.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 23, 2011

I am having trouble organizing my Porfolios. What do you put in them? How much? What do you put them in- folders, notebooks, on the computer? How do you decide what to put in? It has been awhile since I taught Preschool and have done Portfolios. I also teach Kindergarten and very little time, so I am looking for an easy way to organize and keep up with my portofolios.
    Thanks

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 23, 2011

I must say that portfolio organization isn't my long suit.....there is a LOT of documentation in preschool. I will be thinking and get back to this thread soon.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2011

I would probably have a section on reading development, with your screeners and tests for reading (alphabet recognition list, sight words)

Then I would have a writing development section with your screeners and test for writing (writing alphabet, writing name)

Maybe a math section for math screeners and tests (patterning, shapes, colors (?)).

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 23, 2011

and a section for social skills and major classroom accomplishments...like block structures that are tied to development milestones. I do these with photos.

6. Gimet

Gimet Rookie

Dec 24, 2011

I also use photos--and try to have examples of each domain-Motor Skills, Personal/Social/Language & Literacy, Math/Science/Social Studies, and Art/Music. I also created "I Can" statements, linked to our standards and exit expectations. I use students' art (stamping, dot art, etc) to display work samples and put the rubrics on the back. It can be a challenge to create a way to display preschool skills on paper. Our portfolios are a work in progress....... but are very effective in documenting students' skills.