Portfolio Help

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by laceyk8, Jun 12, 2015.

1. laceyk8

laceyk8 Rookie

Jun 12, 2015

I am in the process of gathering things for a portfolio. I know some schools don't even look at them, but I feel more confident going into an interview with something to reference, rather than empty handed. I would like advice on what I should include. Also, does anyone know where to find a professional binder to use as a portfolio? I've googled some, but nothing is standing out to me. I had to create an electronic portfolio for school, here are the things I had to include. I would love to know what you think I should include in my hard copy portfolio, what I should leave out and what else I should add.

-Personal Biography
    -Resume
    -Philosophy of Teaching
    -Teacher Work Sample
    -Observations/Evaluations that were completed by my host teacher and clinical supervisor during student teaching
    -Letters of recommendation (From Host teacher, co-workers, clinical supervisors, etc.)
    -Letters from students and parents
    -Awards, certifications
    -Samples of student work

3. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 12, 2015

all of that sounds good to me - I have heard many say that principals don't look at them.

If I was making a portfolio I would probably make one that is easily copied & take several copies in with me . Around here interviews tend to be with panels, so then everyone can have a copy.

4. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jun 12, 2015

Something to consider....make a condensed version. I made a double sided brochure that had teaching/discipline philosophy, experience, personal info, special skills etc.

I took both the portfolio and the brochure...brochures were well received an principals paid more attention to that then portfolio. (Some even kept a copy)

5. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jun 13, 2015

:thumb: Great idea....
    On interviews take your iPad or something to pull the online one up to show them...and if nothing else it will spark their interest and might refer them back to review it later

6. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jun 16, 2015

For my portfolio, I just bought a black binder from Target and used simple scrapbook paper on the front, side, and back. I also personalized it by printing out a strip of paper that had my name and "teaching portfolio" underneath it. I added that to the cover.
    In addition to everything you listed, I also include samples of how I communicate with parents (a copy of a newsletter, parent questionnaire, student behavior calendar, my letter of introduction, etc.). I also include a classroom blueprint to show how my room would look. I reference my portfolio while answering questions, which gives principals a chance to see everything I have in it.

7. laceyk8

laceyk8 Rookie

Jun 18, 2015

Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

Justwanttoteach: great idea on the brochure! Do you have a sample you would mind sharing? It doesn't have to be yours, but I would love to see the layout. Did you print it yourself?

Jen: All of those things sound wonderful! How did you create a classroom blueprint? And what is a behavior calendar?

I will definitely make an online version of my portfolio as well. Thanks again everyone!