portable?? VENT

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissT34, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Aug 8, 2011

I haven't signed my contract yet, but my school has asked me to go and start fixing my room, attending new teacher orientations and all that good stuff. Today was the first orientation at the campus. I showed up at 8:30 and the second teacher that was hired was already there.

When I spoke to the P about the position, she said that I was the first person she was interviewing and recommending so I would be placed in class#ABC and the 2nd teacher would likely get a portable. This morning, when the teachers asked me what room I was in, I said "I think #ABC" and they said "Oh, i thought Ms. 2ndNewTeacher was staying here". Ummm, WHAT?? The P is at a meeting until later this afternoon so she'll be meeting with all of us for a brief grade level meeting. I hope she rememebers what she had told me. It's not that I dont want to be in a portable, but it's my first year, and all the other 3rd grade teachers are all in the same hallway. I'm going to feel like the oddball stuck outside with no one to ask for help. What can I say to voice my concerns without sounding like im whining or unappreciative? I feel like this other new teacher thinks she gets the room because she has experience there, but they just barely called her on Friday, she hadnt even applied at that district! Vent Over! :unsure::mad::blush::yawn::dizzy::(

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

I wouldn't say anything.

You've landed a job in an impossible market.

And it's not the teacher's call as to who teaches where, it's the principal's. So hang tight and take the room you're assigned.

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

I really enjoyed my year in a portable. It was harder for anyone to just pop in and observe. I didn't have to worry about the noise level.
    The only problem I ever had was when I had some...um...digestive problems and I had to use the bathroom immediately. I had to call the office to see if someone could come cover my class. :blush:

5. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I wouldn't say anything, either. Just smile and be grateful to getting a job in the tough Texas teaching market. You can make yourself known, by being a great teacher and getting involved with extra curricular activities.

At the end of the year, make mention that you'd love to move to another classroom, should something become available. At that point, you will have "shined" and your principal will most likely honor your request.

It's true, that other teacher might be "popped" in on quite a bit more! Sometimes, it's nice to have room to breathe!

Remember, there might be hundreds of teachers that would love to be in your shoes!

Have a great school year! :)

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

I've subbed in portables and never minded them. They were spacious and had all the same equipment. The kids got an extra 2 minutes to get there so there was a tiny bit of extra prep time.

True, you aren't as close to your hall mates, but how often do you talk to them during class anyway? You can still see them during common planning times if you have those, or lunch, etc, plus you can call them between classes.

I wouldn't worry about it! I think there are pros and cons to it, just like with any other classroom arrangement.

7. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Aug 8, 2011

I needed to hear everyones advice. Thank you. I am beyond grateful to have a job in this economy. I guess I'm just starting to freak out because school is starting very very soon. I know I;ll make the best of it. It's going to be a blank canvas so I can decorate it to my specific taste. I'll let veryone know how it goes. Thanks once again

8. Good Doobie

Good Doobie Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

Sorry I can not encourage you, but I have never done well in a portable. And speaking of venting, I hope it is well ventilated. I once had a portable right at the edge of the parking lot. Sometimes the cars would bump into my portable. Cars would often back right up to the swamp cooler and sit there with their motors running. The swamp cooler pushed the CO gas from the exhaust into the portable. I asked the P to either move the parking lot or the portable, but they just said to turn off the air-conditioner when cars were out there. Sometimes you didn't realize there was a car sitting there running until you could smell the exhaust. So I didn't really get much help from anyone.
    Oh, yeah and the discipline was whacked out there - worst I have ever had. Once while my mentor teacher was right there in my room (the only room in that portable and I had 32 students), a kid started a fire! I was just working the room positioning myself best I could to keep as many students visible while working with a group. I didn't see the kid start the fire and neither did the mentor. But I was ultimately held responsible and was put on paid leave.
    Anyway, maybe you can find a reason like my parking lot problem to use for getting a different room.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

Last year we had 3 teachers in portables and none of them wanted to come back into the main building this year! They liked the privacy, the quiet (no noisy students in the halls) and the ability to just 'head outside' for a few minutes when the kids needed a movement break.

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 8, 2011

Smile and bear the portable classroom. It is so hard to get a teaching position. Maybe the reason you were chosen to go out to the portable is because they felt like you were the stronger teacher and could handle the solitude a little better. Think positive. And IF the P tells you that you are inside after all then, that just brings a little extra joy into your life. Now, breathe and say to yourself, "I can handle anything. I have been waiting and praying for the moment when I could change the lives of some great kids and now is my opportunity." GOOD LUCK!

11. 12Souza

12Souza Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

To OP:

I'll trade you. My unemployment for your portable. Straight up. NO TRICKS! Pinky Swear.

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 8, 2011

I am going to be doing a LTS in a portable this year and I am kind of looking forward to it. It is air-conditioned, right next to the playground, and I can park my car almost at my classroom door! Other teachers have mentioned the other benefits--not having to deal with so much noise, not having people popping in as often (admin or otherwise), so fewer interruptions, and also wall-to-wall carpeting!

There is really no way you can ask about this as a new hire and not sound whiney or greedy. Just smile and carry on, and eventually you will get moved. At my school, they rotate the grades through the portables every few years, so everyone gets a break.

13. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

HAHA!!!! I second that!

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 8, 2011

I loved the year I spent in my portable!

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

I'm in a portable and I really like it. It's air conditioned and I can control my own air. It's also bigger than the regular classrooms.

16. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

I'm not employed right now either, but I don't think its very helpful to make someone who is employed feel bad for venting. Maybe some vents will seem frivolous or <insert adjective of your choice>, but teaching is a stressful, tough profession, and there is a lot of anxiety and fear, especially for new teachers.

I think it is possible to be grateful for employment yet still vent and mull things over. I think it gets to be a slippery slope to start thinking that one should be so grateful for a job that one should suck up anything and everything and that saying anything otherwise is disrespectful to unemployed people. True, to varying degrees, we all have to suck stuff up to keep or get jobs, but maybe we can keep all that separate?

:2cents:

(am I the only one who sometimes vents or focuses about the small stuff in order to channel anxiety away from bigger issues so I can deal with them more effectively?)

17. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Aug 8, 2011

Well said!

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 8, 2011

I have to totally agree. I did some venting about my new job on here. Yes, I was thankful to have the job, but I was still mourning the loss of my previous school and those relationships. BTW, I love my job, just not those first couple of days.

19. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I did not mean to imply the vent was frivolous. By all means I would be disappointed if I thought I was getting one thing only to find out it was something else. I only meant to say I wish I had a job to be frustrated with. My sincere apologies if I made anyone feel otherwise. We all have something to vent about, but need to also look at the bright side. Yes, being told I was going to be in a regular room then to be put in a portable would be very frustrating, and it is a very valid point to vent about in the boards.

I get accused of venting about many things I cannot change. Venting lets out the frustration so that I may focus on the things I can change. We all have things to be grateful about, and things to vent about, and sometimes those things are the same.

I also think that pointing out that someone should be grateful in no way diminishes the need to vent. Vent all you want, but don't make others who are a little more optimistic about situations feel they are being rude. I try to look on the bright side, but sometimes that is tough. If you read some of my posts you will see that.

I cannot be all sunshine and light all the time either. My apologies for making anyone feel belittled or that they were being frivolous.

Good luck to all.

20. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

mommyre--I wasn't directing that to any one person, or even only this thread. I've just seen a fair number of posts along the lines of "I wish I had that problem because I don't have a job" pop up in a lot of threads.

I get that unemployment is frustrating (I'm there too!), but we have threads to vent about that too.

Anyway, just my two cents. I wasn't trying to call people out for being belittling.

21. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I didn't think it was totally directed at me, but I was one of the people who did comment that I wish I had that problem. And I am sorry if I unloaded a bit on you, but I have noticed that MANY people here seem to have an attitude that they are better than others.

I spent many months away from the website because of some of the attitude I got from commenting on other people's posts. I was blasted more than once by certain people. I don't mean to imply that you are responsible for this, it just struck me at the wrong moment, and you unfortunately got the brunt of my frustration.

22. 12Souza

12Souza Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

lol mollydoll.. it was just a joke mostly. Though ill admit i dont personally relate to the room vs portable thing.

23. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

It can be a fine line between giving one's own opinion and sounding judgmental, even where judgement isn't intended.

24. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

I understand we all have a time and place to vent. However, I think it is helpful advice to remind OP that he/she is lucky right now to be employed and not quibble about being in a portable. We don't own those rooms. Just be thankful you have a job. The original post came off as kinda grouchy and how dare they put me in a portable....good enough for another teacher, but not you????. Not a good first impression. Suck it up and make the best of it!

I don't see that as judgemental.....it is sound advice.

25. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2011

I like portables. You can open up the door for a breath of fresh air. Depending on the school, they can be larger than a regular classroom. You can control your own air unit. Sometimes, they have their own bathroom in them. And - if your school has some "complainers" - you don't have to see them very often!

The only downside - OP, you're in Texas? When the sun starts beating down on it in the afternoon, it'll be warm no matter where the A/C is set.

26. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Aug 9, 2011

I was venting about the fact that they had already guaranteed me that classroom and it was suddenly given to a teacher that they hired ONE day before we started working. That's what I didn't think was fair. I won't be the only one in the portables and luckily, the other teachers that will be there are all people that I get along with very well. I was just upset about the situation and the fact that I felt it would be harder for me to ask for any assistance or advice as a first year teacher when the rest of my grade level is in the main building.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

MissT..you'll be fine. Go rock out on creating a welcoming classroom space for your students...make them feel special to be in the portable...:love:
    The admin will appreciate your good attitude about this...a productive and well managed classroom functions whether you are in a portable, a regular classroom, taking your kids on a field trip, or whether you are simply taking your kids down the hallway to lunch. There is no reason to believe that you will have problems simply because you are in a portable...make it your own, make it work! You'll be great!:love::thumb:

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

And, on the upside: you're in Texas.

That means no snowstorms (well, hopefully none) between your kids and the bathroom :)

29. ChelZ

ChelZ Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

Well said:)

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Just have to worry about the heat!!

It's funny that we had a week of snow in Feb and are on about day 35 of 100 degree weather in the same year!

31. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 9, 2011

I am SO tired of the unrelenting heat!

32. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2011

I understand and I still think we have to go with the flow. I arrived at work today and discovered the custodians had moved my entire classroom out in the hallway (after I spent 1 1/2 getting things just right - my room was ready for school to start - and they moved the whole thing out):eek::eek::eek:

I was horrified. But I had to take a deep breath and get over it. They were very nice and helped me get it back together. The rooms really don't belong to us (although it feels like it). I use to work for a P that moved teachers around every year, so.... Hope things are coming together for ya!::)

33. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2011

day 38 in DFW:(:(:(

34. smalltowngal

Aug 9, 2011

Oh, ok, skittle...I wasn't sure of the exact date. I'm only 30 minutes away from DFW.

35. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2011

yeah, sometimes I think I must have moved to HE**:p I'm ready for it to E-N-D!!
    Funny how we were slipping and sliding earlier this year!

36. smalltowngal

Aug 9, 2011

I don't think we're so far from it!

37. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Aug 10, 2011

Oh I know!! Everytime I get into my car it says anywhere from 104-110! It's crazy!

38. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

It's terrible! :(

39. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 10, 2011

Today it was only 108 on the way home! WOW! A cool day finally! ha ha! Last night (and YES I am serious) it was only 92 and I went outside to enjoy the cool weather. Now, that is somewhat SICK! But it really did feel cool compared to recent temps and I do love the outdoors!

40. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

yep - I've been waking my kids up early in the morning (to help me go work on my classroom). They go outside and are wrapped up in blankets like mummies complaining about how cold it is (Our lows are mid to high 80's).

The other night it was nearly midnight before we fell below 100 :eek:

41. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Aug 10, 2011

In Utah most schools don't have A/C. A portable does, and if you get one it means the P really, really, likes you:) Teachers use length of service as an argument to get a portable. Here in Mississippi all the schools have A/C. We've been having heat too! I mean it's hot and humid! Still glad I'm here...as a matter of fact I love it. Hope if you get a portable it works for you. Good luck on that job!!!