Portable scanner

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs.Giggles, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Aug 30, 2013

I have a Promethean Board in my classroom. I love it, but I hate that I don't have a scanner. I would love to model how to complete activities with my students, and this would be easier if I had the worksheet enlarged on the board.

I have been looking at scanners, and I found this portable one. It looks perfect for what I need, but I wanted to know if any of you had any experience with a scanner similar to this one.

Thank you!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vupoint...p?id=1218410803410&skuId=3512117#tab=overview

3. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 30, 2013

Mrs. Giggles, I do have the scanner and used it once or twice. I have heard many good things, but I didn't have much luck (may be user error?)

I ended up with a ScanSnap S1300i scanner and couldn't be happier. I even got my students' families to purchase one for me for the classroom. Very easy to use and I liked that I could feed more than one sheet in. I didn't have to move the wand over the paper and hope I did it straight or study. Also, it has software where you can have your documents feed automatically into folders, Evernote, etc. :)

However, it IS more expensive than the Vupoint (just so you know).

Hope this helped somewhat. :)

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 31, 2013

What about a document camera? They have fairly inexpensive models now, and you could use it for more than just pieces of paper. I *LOVE* having one.

5. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Aug 31, 2013

Thank you! Ted, I did look into that scanner, but I'm looking to stay under $100 for budget reasons. Also, I just needed something that I could use to scan pages from a book that wasn't so big and bulky. However, I will keep the other scanner in mind.

Yellodaisies, I would LOVE to have a document camera. I'm actually thinking of starting a Donor's Choose project for one as it would be so incredibly beneficial for my students. I just can't spend $300+ on one right now. :-(

6. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 31, 2013

There are document cameras on Amazon for under $50. I don't know how they are as far as quality, but you definitely don't need to spend $300 for one as long as you can have it hooked up to an existing projector. I'd bet there are some threads here about the different options if you do a forum search.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2013

A cheap-ish webcam or a lightweight videocam can make fine document cameras, when connected to a computer that can connect to a projector. It helps to have the camera on an arm that can be raised and lowered, but those are pretty easy to fake - there used to be an assortment of YouTube videos that explained how.

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 1, 2013

Yes, doc cam.

And if you go on you tube you can actually make your own for about forty bucks these days.:D

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

I was also going to suggest going with a cheap document camera. Much more useful than a scanner, especially if all you want to do is project.

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 1, 2013

11. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Sep 1, 2013

Hmmm.... I may just put that on my wishlist and purchase it with my next pay check. I ended up purchasing the scanner yesterday afternoon as well.

12. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 1, 2013

Oh! Okay, good. I hope it works out well for you. :) Definitely user-friendly!

I believe I've heard that for things that are a bit wrinkled, you can always use a transparency to flatten it out and run the scanner over the transparency.

Also, what's nice about the scanner you purchased: you can scan fabric patterns, etc. :)