Portable Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by pateacher, Aug 3, 2005.

1. pateacher

pateacher Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

Hi all! I am going to be teaching third grade this year in a "portable" classroom. It has no closets and no shelving. I need help with ideas for storing all of my supplies and books. Any ideas?

3. 3rdgrdteach

3rdgrdteach Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

RE: Portable

Our portable classrooms are also without closets and shelving. However, we were fortunate to recieve two large "wardrobes" (portable closets) and an art cart (a mobile carts with 5 long and skinny shelves). I also store plastic tubs filled with my materials under my writing center and mailbox table (I even place table clothes on the tables so you can't see under them:)). Maybe you can ask your adminstraters or collegues what pieces of furniture are available that would help to alleviate your storage issues. Best of luck!!

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 3, 2005

Yep, find out what the school will put in there first. If it's not enough, go around and see if any other teachers are getting rid of stuff.
    Mine was given: 1 portable wardrobe, 1 metal shelve (5 shelves), 2 book racks (shelves), 5 sets of cubbies (5 compartments per cubby), 2 rectangle shape tables, 1 student computer desk, 1 teacher desk, 1 kidney shape table, 1 file cabinet, 25 student desks, and 25 student chairs. I used the kidney shape table as my student computer table. It saves some room and the students are more spread out (3 computers). Two of my book shelves are put together in the corner to form a V. My carpet and word wall is located here. I put two sets of cubbies against the wall as you enter the room, and three more on the adjacent wall in a U shape. The backs of the 2 cubbies that are showing became bulletin board space for me. I have a little room on top of my wardrobe that I have put plastic bins on top for storage. I also use the extra cubbies (that are not being used by students) as storage space. I bought a 3 drawer plastic container at Wal-Mart for $12 that is on rollers. It fits great under my teachers desk, or put it by the filing cabinet. The great thing about my portable building is that you can staple stuff to the wall.

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 3, 2005

the dorm-room products on sale right now may be an economical solution. They usually have crates and small shelves in the ads I've seen.

what about the gutter shelves that I've heard about (to display/store books) not sure if you could attach them easily to the walls in the portable.

good luck!

Alicia :)

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 4, 2005

You've got to be careful what you attatch to the walls of a portable. Ours don't hold things well. To get my pencil sharpener and overhead screen up, my janitor had to make a wood base for them. Always ask about putting things up like that too. If your school is leasing the building, there may be certain regulations you have to go by. You don't want to get into trouble for putting something up.

7. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 5, 2005

This is my first year in a portable, too. Luckily it won't be for the whole year. Our school is currently being constructed and we are in portables until it is completed and we can move in. We have nothing in our portables as far as storage furniture is concerned. We only have tables enough for the kids and a computer table and that is all!! I bought a couple of free standing shelves from Target. It is going to be difficult but we are doing the best we can. Not only do we not have storage but since we are moving in a couple of months, most of us are "living out of boxes" so we don't need to unpack only to repack again later on. Oh... the things we go through in the name of teaching. (gotta love it)

8. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 6, 2005

milk crates

I just moved out of one of those portables! I used the milk crate type boxes (they had prettier and cheaper ones at Linen's N Things) for the books that the students could browse. I just lined them up along a wall or along the back of a bookcase/cubby when I had it. I also used extra student desks along the wall to put things under, in and on!

If you don't have one, you can make a hook rack that the kids can hang their backpacks on..and as others have said..beg and borrow from others...get to know your custodians...they can be a big help in finding furniture!

Pam

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 8, 2005

I don't know if you'll get them, but the cubbies I have take up a lot of room. You can put bins on top of them (small bins), or display books. It's tough to decide what kind of storage space you'll need until you know what you'll have.

10. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Aug 8, 2005

I use the long tables in my room to put bboxes under. Last year I blocked off a corner with a long table and my teacher's desk and used that area for storage. I have no closet or real storage space either.

11. Poolbear2

Poolbear2 Rookie

Aug 9, 2005

I am about to begin my second experience in a portable. I've used from kmart the wire eggcrate type shelves that you put together for both organizers and a library area. I also have used my book cases to corner areas in the classroom but besure to put fabric stapled to the back to prevent injury of any nails or things sticking out. I also had our PTA buy me a big carpet to help with the echoing sound, yes I find that the worst thing about a portable but its easy to deal with. Also take into consideration when setting up your classroom where the AC blows too. when I taught 4th in a portable I always had to think about that bc I had some students who would freeze if they were under the blowers. Also If you have an IKEA or Price Club type stores they have lots of things for cheap, furnature, supplies to help with storage. Feel free to get in touch with me privately if you want ot know more I will be working on setting mine up this week, a bit early because you can never be too ready! Oh yea, so against the rules but I staple everything to the walls because tape doesnt hold anything up!

12. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 9, 2005

I also am in a portable this year. Poolbear was right, tape doesn't hold anything and neither will hotglue (I tried hotgluing my lunch chart onto the door, it fell down 3 times so I stapled it to the wall where I was going to put something else). My trailer had the following when I went in - 1 small (and I do mean small) double door cabinet, one small book case, one 15 unit cubbie, 2 small fold up tables for small groups and a coat rack, 23 student desks, 23 students chairs, one computer table and my desk (didn't even have a chair luckily I had a desk chair I could take). I provided the shelves for my reading corner and also the shelving for my centers. The biggest adjustment for my second graders is the restroom issue (last year I was right across from the restroom so it was wonderful). We have to travel across the drive to the main building and sometimes the traffic is an issue (buses coming back to park or parents coming for some reason).