Popular Culture Unit

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by RainbowsEnd, Apr 3, 2008.

1. RainbowsEnd

RainbowsEnd Rookie

Apr 3, 2008

I'm trying to come up with a unit to end the year that the kids will be into. They've already begun checking out, so I thought that I would do something with pop culture (movies, music, tv, magazines, etc).

Any suggestions on WHAT exactly I might look at with them in a Language Arts class for 8th graders?

3. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Apr 3, 2008

In my school, the 8th graders just finished a "Call to Action" project in Language Arts. This was essentially a nonfiction unit where students had to find an issue they were passionate about and do something to help out.

Students had writing assignments to go with the project like summarizing why this is an important issue, researching current organizations who are helping the causes, and drafting their "Call" plan for the principal's approval.

Examples of the projects: a bake sale to raise money to save the pandas, making no smoking signs and hanging them all around the school, making bracelets for equal rights, and making t-shirts to protest bullying. Some groups raised money, others raised awareness.

They were very excited about this project and felt empowered. It was nice to see 8th graders interested in school this time of year. :lol:

4. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Apr 3, 2008

KatieC, that is a great idea.

If you want something that won't take as much time, teach them how to write a review - as in book review, movie review, etc. They can choose one book, movie, album, TV show, etc. that came out this year and write a review. They may even want to cover major news stories like the presidential election, etc. You could bind all of their reviews together to make a "2007-2008 Year in Review"

This is something that I would do maybe the very last week of school.