Popcorn

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teach2004, Apr 12, 2005.

1. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Apr 12, 2005

I am doing a one week unit on popcorn. It is for a first grade classroom. Does anyone have any cute, fun ideas? I would really appreciate some input. Thanks! :)

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 12, 2005

4. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2005

There is a unit book at the library about popcorn. I forget the publisher, but they have many other themes, like chocolate, Peace, friendship, food, Indians. I bet you've seen these.

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Apr 12, 2005

At the camp I worked at this summer, we had "popcorn cupcakes" one night. They were probably a lot of work, but they were super cute. Basically, they were lemon cupcakes with white frosting. Then, you cut mini marshmallows into fourths, and put them on top of the frosting. Then, sprinkle those super fine yellow sprinkles on top. They really do come out looking like popcorn, especially when you have a whole tray of them sitting next to each other.

6. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Apr 13, 2005

1. I think you can put popcorn kernals in a damp paper towel and, if kept moist, the kernals will sprout.

2. There's an adorable book. I think it's called "The Popcorn Dragon" about a dragon who has to leave town because his breath comes out as fire and burns everything up. He goes to a cornfield to sleep and his fire blows on the corn and makes popcorn for everyone. Then they all love him.

3. Write sight words out, cover with glue and then glue popcorn or popcorn kernals around it to spell out the word. Now you have "popcorn words"!

4. Do a lesson on heat energy. Teach them how there are water molecules inside each popcorn kernal and when the molecules get heated up, they move faster. As they move faster, they eventually "pop" out, creating the popcorn that we eat.

5. Make popcorn several different ways. Use an air popper, stovetop (like Jiffy Pop), microwave, and store bought. Have a popcorn tasting and have each student vote on his/her favorite. Graph the results.

This is all I can think of this early...I have a popcorn unit at school. I'll check it and add more ideas later.

7. gigi

gigi Groupie

Apr 13, 2005

Use a ear of corn pattern and have the kids glue popped popcorn to it. Do the same with the letter P. If you have powdered tempera paint you could color the cooked pop corn yellow.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2005

Pass out a kernel to everyone...as a class or individually make a list using their senses. It's hard, smooth, doesn't smell, etc.

Then pass out a popped kernel make another list to compare to the first, then eat it.

9. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Apr 13, 2005

Thanks for all of the good ideas! I am doing a small bulletin board for the math center using money. I am going to (hopefully) find someone to donate some popcorn bags. I am going to staple them to the bulletin board. I am going to write an amount of money (ex. $0.57) on the outside and have them put that amount of coins in the bags. They have to use quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. I am going to glue the money to paper popcorn pieces. Can anyone think of a catchy title for the bulletin board?

10. Bobbimarie

Bobbimarie Guest

Apr 14, 2005

Popcorn ideas

Hi,
    You might also find some neat ideas at the National Popcorn Board Web site:
    http://www.popcorn.org

It has a section for teachers, kids, popcorn trivia and recipes.

11. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 14, 2005

If you have a popcorn maker, you can make popcorn with your kids and as it is cooking, talk with your students about what they are hearing and smelling. Then when the popcorn is done they can talk about what they are seeing, feeling, and then tasting. It is really cute! Perfect for the five senses.

There is also a book called The Popcorn Book by Tomie DePaula I think.

They can use popcorn for counters, art projects, lots of things. I like the popcorn bulletin board idea integrating money. Cute!