Pop culture in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Oct 14, 2015.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 14, 2015

I was a little worried about using this when I have a lot of ESL students in my class, but it turns out that even those who are still learning English have a fascination with Judge Judy! This discovery made it a snap to teach them the importance of textual evidence in their explanatory writing. I created a PowerPoint to explain the guidelines for the format as well as the prompt, each one with a picture of Judge Judy's reaction. My students started calling me Judge Fiddle by the end of class, but they worked together to gather evidence as a pre-writing exercise.

How have you used popular culture to teach a class?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 14, 2015

That is a riot. I love Judge Judy. A lot of her plaintiffs could use your class. Far too many of them have zero evidence.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2015

That is funny.
    When I taught first graders during March the PA would play Irish music, so we would all pretend to riverdance. All of them still remember that. Lol

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 14, 2015

Very cool! Would you be able to share that lesson?

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2015

Oh I do it all the time. I read The Martian a few months ago and for about a week my questions revolved around the story line. Now that the movie is out I've had lots of kids come up and tell me they went to see it.

I use lots of music and examples from pop culture. In the past for Hispanic Heritage month I've shown a really great Spanish music video. Tomorrow I'm showing OKGO's music video as an example of a Rube Goldberg machine.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 15, 2015

Yes, it works wonders. I love the Judge Judy idea, and yes, I enjoy the show as well. Good luck with it.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 16, 2015

I can send the PowerPoint to you or anyone else, if you're interested. I cannot send a recording of the actual lesson because student names are visible.

adeeb and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 16, 2015

That is awesome!! LOL

The News2You lessons are current event based. I would love the Judge Judy stuff!!

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 16, 2015

Sure! That would be awesome. You can send it through PM if you want.

11. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Oct 18, 2015

I think that TV and movies can be great in the classroom. A psychology teacher that I know uses the movie, A Beautiful Mind, to teach schizophrenia and other related topics since they are difficult to explain. In that situation, it's easier for students to get a visual than to read about it in a book.

Dead Poets Society
    has depictions of interpreting text and becoming a free thinker. Despicable Me has moments of storytelling and observing facts. The Office, The Big Bang Theory, and Jaws have a few scenes on grammar and literary elements such as foreshadowing (Jaws). There are plenty of teachable moments in popular culture which I think we can use to our advantage.

12. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Oct 18, 2015

Ooh I would like that as well....thank you!

13. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Oct 18, 2015

I have used superheroes plenty of times, although I make sure that I bring in a healthy mix of male an females as well as superheroes of all colors. That's why I use comic books instead of comic book movies; the movies are still behind the comics in the diversity aspect. In all those Avengers-related films, teams are usually a sausage fest (with a lone token female), plus every Avenger is white. Since I am a fan of comics myself, I bring into the classrooms a well-balanced showing of white, black, Hispanic, Asian, and other characters of diverse nationalities, as well as lots of superheroines of all colors. It would be easier to simply use the same ole same ole (Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, and Wonder Woman) but it's important to me that all my students see themselves reflected in the lessons.

MissCeliaB likes this.