poor student performance in 8:00 am classes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by robinsons, Sep 2, 2009.

1. robinsons

robinsons New Member

Sep 2, 2009

What can I do to motivate my students to perform better in my 8:00 am college economics class? They do not get enough sleep and thus they can't stay focused on the material for very long.

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 2, 2009

Bring food!

4. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 2, 2009

Play some loud, wake-up music for the first minute. It'll be hard to sleep if they just heard some heavy metal or something!!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2009

Caffeine IV's! Sorry...I don't have any better advice for you.

(My son had an 8:30am Econmonics class last semester--I don't know how he did it. He did say that one of the most difficult things was that, while the content was interesting, the professor's personality and presentation was far, far away from being interesting.)

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2009

I teach English at 7:00 a.m.

When you figure it out, let me know!

7. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Sep 2, 2009

Ugh.. I remember those days. I had a 7:35AM Art class two days a week. The professor was extremely boring with a monotone voice.

Be energetic and keep it interesting. Hopefully they have a cup of coffee before class! I know I always did.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 2, 2009

For me, it was eating food before the class.

The professors at my CC tend to give us a break 45-75 minutes into the class depending on how attentive we are being :p

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 2, 2009

By the time they get to college, I would say that they just need to learn to deal with it.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 2, 2009

Give them bonus points if they come in with a caffeine product.

Those early morning classes are rough!

11. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 2, 2009

Maybe I'm in the minority, but why does there have to be anything "extra" for a COLLEGE class? Teach, let them learn or fail based on their performance. Something extra like coffee or pastries might be nice every once in a while, but by and large, they need to be taking responsibility to get adequate sleep. If they can't do it, they may have to pay to take the class again or be happy with a poor grade.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 2, 2009

Also, if you drink coffee, tell the students to bring some of their own, or hook up a coffee pot in your room and brew coffee at the beginning just so the smell permeates to wake them up :p

13. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Sep 2, 2009

I agree with the coffee (or they love red bull). A small donut on Friday wouldn't hurt either. Teenage brains are not awake until after 10:00 so they do have a hard time being alert at 8:00. I take an 8:00 college course on Saturday mornings and I stop by Starbucks every week. It motivates me plenty.

14. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Sep 3, 2009

Perhaps the school needs to offer that class at varying times so those that aren't morning people (as I am/was) could take that class after 10 or Noon. Those that don't handle mornings, tell them to either 1. get over it you are in college now or 2. learn how to schedule classes so you can take the ones you deem monotonus, long, boring during the time you are more awake.

They are college! Come on! If they can't stay awake for a class they paid for, then that's their business. Casually reccommend a boost of caffeine, but surely to goodness these college students should know what their individual bodies need to stay awake. Perhaps a bad grade "wake-me-up" is what new college students may need...sad but true...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 3, 2009

I'm the "Morning Person", tell 'em to just "Rise and Shine!"

16. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 3, 2009

I have to take all of my courses starting either at 8 or 9 am, because I am unable to drive at the moment, so I must be driven.

I usually drink a small amount of soda (not too much, since I am not supposed to have caffeine or high fructose corn syrup) and have a breakfast sandwich (usually bacon egg and cheese on a hard roll)

17. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Sep 3, 2009

I had an English teacher who did this. Except that she let us have some coffee too. Once we brought coffee into the picture, the class was much more lively and the discussions much more interesting. :)

18. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Sep 3, 2009

There are always circumstances, that's why the suggestion that it be offered at varying times.

See, my point, you know what you need to help, albeit maybe minimally, keep you going for those early am classes.

19. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 3, 2009

How about assessing them at the beginning of the class, mid-way, and at the end? Doesn't have to be anything that would make them anxious, but get them up and moving around and talking.

Lecturing them at that time will just make them pass out.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2009

I'm sorry, but they're not in preschool.

At some point, they've got to realize that the world is not going to accomodate them.

They signed up for this class,right??? They KNEW it was a college level class and that there was a chance it might be early in the morning???

Either they pass or they don't. The choice is entirely up to them.

At some point, don't adults have to take some sort of responsibility for their own actions??? I would think that a college class is most certainly that point.

The 14 year olds in my first period Algebra class certainly don't get caffeine or any other aides in helping them get through my class.

Make a big poster of that wonderful saying: "Ya snooze, ya lose."
    Post in in front of the class.

Then teach and let the chips fall where they may.

21. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Sep 3, 2009

I'm with you, Aliceacc. If they had a job, they would be expected to show up wide awake and ready to go. You will help them more in the long run if you treat them like the adults that they are. I believe in personal responsibility.

22. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 4, 2009

I vote for a pop quiz every day at 8:01.

23. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Sep 4, 2009

I agree with Aliceacc too. They are in college and selected their schedule. My high school senior is already pulling late nights with homework because of all the after school activities/clubs. And high schoolers have the same schedule five days a week! This is going to be a LONG year.