poor behavior on the first day?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 13, 2012

I'm in shock. Today was the first day of school. Usually kids are on their very best behavior. It isn't until day three they start trying to test me typically. I've been in my school a few years and this is all very different behavior than what we usually encounter. Today I had a kid fall asleep in class. Several completely ignored my instructions or would speak over me when I was giving a direction. And another student was disrespectful.

Please tell me this is not a bad sign. That I shouldn't run screaming...:dizzy: Seriously, I had to call a parent on the very first day! :eek:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

Tighten it up tomorrow. Lay out your expectations. Consequences, consequences, consequences.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 13, 2012

Sometimes a whole group is very difficult simply because of 2-3 or 4 difficult students, and they make the entire class worse. Try to find the 3 worse students and make an example out of them, if you have to. Also as Czacza said, tighten everything up, show them that their behavior won't work.
    By the time the 3rd day rolls around you can have them completely trained :)

just wanted to add: by making an example out of them doesn't mean to embarrass or humiliate them, what I meant was to try to identify them and really come down on them hard. This way they will be put in check, the other students won't follow them anymore, and everyone sees that you mean business.

5. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 13, 2012

I would add, make an effort to really praise the kids who are doing the right thing. This isn't going to help with your real 'hard cases' who aren't interested in anything you have to say... but it should make a difference to those fence-sitters who are going to take the lead from the bad apples otherwise.

6. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 13, 2012

Hardcores. Typical students allow a honeymoon like you say two to three days. Hardcores are a little more astute sizing up the teacher - about ten seconds to a minute. They can tell by the way the teacher greets them at the door (or lack of) whether this is a work class or something else.

Consider backtracking and examining the way the kids entered. Action by the teacher during the first couple minutes signals a lot about the teacher and the class. Action means what the teacher does not what the teacher says. Too much teacher talk and message can be the teacher does most of the work while the kids watch. Putting kids to work with little talk signals the kids do most of the work while the teacher watches.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 14, 2012

This was the case for me last year. The first few days of school were so difficult that I began the SPED referral process for one student who was new to the school (s/he later qualified with an EBD and ADHD diagnosis), and I called home to five parents. All five sets of parents were completely shocked, and so were their 1st grade teachers, because they hadn't "acted up" in school before. These boys were the leaders in my classroom, but I just had to figure out how to help them lead in a positive way. It took me until December to really get them under control. We had many "chats" during recess time.

As others suggested, have them practice procedures until it is annoying. Give an explicit direction, talk about what to do, and what not to do, and model. If someone talks or doesn't follow directions exactly as you modeled, have them do it again (and again, and again!). I do this at the beginning of the year for everything: lining up at the door, getting your backpack at the end of the day, putting a paper in the finished work basket, etc. It is very tiring, but they have to know you mean business, and you're not going to tolerate incorrect behavior.

Good luck-keep us updated!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

What grade do you teach, Pencil? How did this group behave last year?

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

Hope today is better!

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 14, 2012

Hahaha...sorry, but this made me literally LOL. I pictured elementary kids with tattoos and Harleys.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 14, 2012

What grade do you teach? I'm asking because I have had students doze off before, but I teach grade 1 and they are usually exhausted after lunch during September as their little bodies adjust.

Hope you cracked down today and established those expectations. How did things go?

12. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 14, 2012

Of course ... panheads, ape hangers ... what else could it be?

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2012

Today was our first day of classes and I had a similar experience. I am already seeing several boys who are squirrely, and who absolutely won't stop talking. Argh! How was today? Any better?

14. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 18, 2012

It seems to get worse every year! Monday will be our first day and I'm not sure how it will go. Open House was a real eye opener for me! If the behaviors with their parents and/or siblings were any indication this is going to be a very challenging year! I witnessed rudeness, disrespect, not listening/obeying, one even had an out right tantrum (1st grader!)! I have a K/1st combo class, 16 students, no aide at least to begin with. I was promised one if they see budget allows...EEK!
    Hope things get better for you!

15. trulyunic

trulyunic Rookie

Aug 18, 2012

I'm a little concerned about our first day(s) back on Tuesday. They were pretty ok during orientation...but that's prov bc they were wide eyed at being in high school now lol

I will have to remember to have a short leash for them in the beginning

16. time out

time out Comrade

Aug 18, 2012

I had this happen one year at Meet the Teacher and I was pretty nervous. But the students were very different once school began. As we all know, students may act differently in front of their parents.