poop.

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by bethechange, Oct 8, 2008.

1. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Oct 8, 2008

I'm sure there have been a million threads on toilet training, and I've done my share of it, but this year I am encountering a unique problem. I have a kid (5 years old, has moderate autism) who can't/won't poop in the toilet. When the year began, he used to "streak" his pants, like he needed to go, but was holding it. Now he just flat out poops his pants. Twice. Daily.

Background info: he has made some progress with the whole bathroom routine in that he now tolerates sitting on the toilet. We take him 4 times during the school day (the bathroom is an unfortunate hike away). He shows consciousness of when he is pooping (will verbalize what he is doing/that he needs to change). He is a VERY large child for his age (wears size 14 boys pants) and really hates pulling his clothes up and down, though he is doing better at tolerating trying more/harder.

Things I have done: provide stool for his feet, books he likes that he can ONLY look at in the bathroom, provided sensory items for him to transition to/from the bathroom (stressful transition), provide visual sequence w/ photo pictures for both, made a flip visual for the door to show whether he has to just pee or pee and try poop, make a social story about him pooping in the toilet, given him choices as much as possible (i.e. do you want to use this wipe or this one) and stack his schedule with first: toilet/then: highly preferred activity.

Oh, and I also took a picture of poop in his underwear and posted it in the classroom and bathroom stall with a universal no sign over the top of it.

Oh, AND I keep data of when he poops - to see if I can figure out if its related to an activity or transition yet. So far no pattern that I can figure out, except that he tends to go at least once in the morning and once in the afternoon - though the times vary. Often we'll spend 20 minutes in the bathroom trying, then come back only to have him poop his pants 2 minutes later.

Its really hard because it usually takes at least 30 minutes to get him through the bathroom and cleaned up - he really makes a mess. You have to have him take all his clothes off, clean his legs, butt, back, etc. He's highly resistant to most of this. I try to make him do as much of the dressing/undressing as possible, and that has gotten better, but is very slow. Then the kids in my classroom aren't able to follow their schedules because myself or my para are out of the room dealing with poop.

Any ideas???!

3. Miz Liz

Miz Liz Rookie

Oct 8, 2008

Would a sticker chart help? I worked for awhile in a preschool where one of the girls had a very similar problem. We told her that if she pooped in the potty she got a sticker, if she got 3 stickers we'd give her a prize (one of the teachers bought a little princess book/toy from the dollar store). It worked for a little while with this girl, but her parents weren't 100% behind us because she manipulated them.

Does the boy have these problems at home too or is it a school problem? Again, the girl that I worked with hadn't been potty-trained to poop in the toilet so at home she just wore pull-ups when she said she had to go and her parents would change her right away when she was done. So our first challenge was getting mom and dad on board, realizing that their "baby" was 3 years and totally capable of going in the toilet.

HTH Good luck!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 8, 2008

I wish that I had an answer for you. I have a 2nd grader who will not even sit on the toilet (I have had him in my class since last Feb.) and his gas makes me want to pass out! Luckily he doesn't have accidents and his mother says that she doesn't have a problem with him not having BMs at school.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2008

Although this child isn't in preschool, you may have some luck posting there as well.

6. riggit

riggit Rookie

Oct 8, 2008

I just read somewhere that kids with autism have a hard time generalizing from one place to the next. They were specifically talking about toilet training and how the toilet at home looked different from the one at school - something about the color. So they used colored duck tape to disguise the one at school and gradually removed the tape.

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2008

I love the picture of the poop in the underwear with the No sign over it, haha. I laughed out loud for that.

We had a similar situation last year. We ended up trying a DVD player in the bathroom with a highly preferred DVD in it. We would start the DVD, the kid would get into it, be excited for it, etc. Then we would press pause, and say, we can finish as soon as we use the bathroom! I can't wait to see what happens!

(This was successful after we figured out a schedule - the child would soil his pants around the same time each day... so I guess in your situation you might want to wait until a little bit on the later side -but not too late- so that he is ready...)

This seemed to be successful for the most part. We would also do a lot of praise and have a poop party after he would go. It started out real slow (one time out of five times it would work, then two, etc.) But all of the adults in the classroom would cheer when we got back, we'd talk about how we could play with all the big kid toys because we had a big kid now, etc.

I agree with the previous poster regarding mom and dad being on board. If the child has issues at home too, it's always 10x harder to achieve success at school. If he doesn't have problems at home, that means the kid is definitely capable of it all....

I would also check with mom and dad to see if there is ANYTHING that the kid TRULY loves and completely withold that item/food EXCEPT for pooping in the potty (something that the kid can't go a day without, some kids Doritos, oreos, push pops, gummy bears, skittles, etc.)

Make some sort of visual that shows poop in the toilet (apparently you may have a library of photos to choose from??) and then put the equals sign = SKITTLES (picture of skittles) or whatever you choose. This could be sitting in the kid's lap while he's on the potty.

Just go for it! Try everything! Keep up the good work in being creative!

Good luck.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 8, 2008

This sounds like some of the kids I've had before, although they were older (jr high age) with the exact same issues... and for one of those kids in particular, it was completely a control issue. This kid could let it go whenever he felt like it... which usually turned out to be when he wanted to get out of whatever he was doing at the time. And, unfortunately, it worked, because you can't just let a kid sit in a soiled diaper until it's an appropriate time to take a potty break.

I don't have any advice for you, unfortunately, although I think you've gotten a TON from previous posters... keep being persistent :)

9. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

I wish you all the best, I teach HS and I have an AU student that goes potty in the toilet but goes home and poops in a pull up for his mom, but hey he does not do it here,I am wondering if you can't get him to go if you can at least train his bowels to go at home, maybe looking at when eh eats to see if that correlates to when he goes and feed him later.You might also look at what he eats, we have one kid that when his mom sends him certain foods we know he will go before he leaves school around 3.

Wish I could be more help

10. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

Thanks for all your help and ideas.

He poops his pants at home too - his mom is frustrated as well.

Today he locked me out of the bathroom stall (I had to quickly grab some more gloves from the shelf outside, as the ones in the stall were gone) and then proceeded to smear his poop everywhere while I jimmied the lock.

I think I might try the DVD thing. We never watch movies at all in my classroom, so this would be novel to him and I know he LOVES anything with cars and trucks. Also, I will try the visual for poop = reinforcer. I'm a little hesitant to do the sticker chart, because he tends to get really fixated on the stickers themselves and get very upset if he doesn't get one - losing focus of WHY he is getting/not getting the sticker, even if there is a visual component. Then the rest of the routine (pull up pants, flush, wash hands, etc.) is lost in a fury of screaming and we've made so much progress in that arena.

Today I just kind of followed him around with the no poop in the underwear visual and placed it where he could see it. I didn't say anything, just placed the visual as a reminder. And, to be fair, he didn't poop in his underwear, just on the floor after he locked me out of the bathroom....

11. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

Hey you gotta give the kid Kudos for that. I do not envy you at all I have a hard time with poop in general and count myself lucky that I very rarely have to deal with it, especially since I work with 16-22 year olds :)

GOod luck and keep us posted if you have a break thru!