Poll: Remain a classroom teacher or become an administrator?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Caesar753, Jul 19, 2007.

?

What are your long-term career goals?

1. I plan to remain/become a classroom teacher.

71.6%
  2. I plan to remain/become an administrator.

26.6%
  3. I plan to leave the education field.

0.9%
  4. I plan to remain/become a para/assistant/aide.

0.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I plan on going back and getting my admin credential in a few years. In fact, DH is encouraging me to do so. I hope to stay in the classroom for a while, but I want it for when I am ready to make the jump. My district is one that uses teachers on-call so it will come in handy then.

2. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 7, 2007

I am starting my second year as a Social Studies Department Chair and thought I would hate it,, but I love working my new role of helping other teachers. I was offered the AP jon this year, but refused I really have no desire to deal with dicspline or parents. I love my new job now becuase it allows me both to work with teachers and students.

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2007

I've always wanted to get my masters in administration, but now I don't know if it would be a good idea. My husband is in the military and he keeps going back and forth on whether he's going to get out in 5 years, or stay in 20 years. If he stays in 20 years, I think it would be useless to get my masters in administration. Who would hire me when I might have to leave at any moment? I wouldn't be able to use it for another 20 years, so I'm not sure what I'll do. I guess right now I need to concentrate on getting through my first year of teaching!

4. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

The pay various per district. As some quoted here as little as 500 bucks and I've seen as much as 6 k or so.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2007

I can't say the M.A. degree itself is useless, but perhaps in a different area, such as curriculum and instruction, special education, or reading instruction. Those areas are always in demand. Also, in our state, professional development and continuing your education is expected, and required for renewing your certificate.

As far as you being on the move, well..that is just part of your life. Schools have to deal with teachers with all types of changes, so I would cross that bridge when it comes. The thing is, as long as you have the higher degree, it makes you more marketable, puts you in a higher bracket, but...depending on the district, and union...may make it more difficult..according to some of our Job Seekers..out there. A school may be more inclined to hire a new grad at the lower rate with a B.S, than bring you in at the higher rate with your M.A./M.S. That is totally unfair, but it may come down to budgets.

don't let it discourage you...each move is an adventure...you don't really know what the new area has to offer til you get there...

6. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I love my little darllings too much to want to leave the classroom. Also, I'm too much of a softie to be able to do the unpleasant parts of being an administrator - like telling a friend she's being surplused, or reproving someone who is not performing up to expectations. I have enough trouble being sufficiently stern with 5-year-olds.

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2007

How about retire as a long term goal

8. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I used to always say that there was no way I would go into administration, but, that definitely changed 2 years ago. One of my best friends and I start our first administration class on the 20th. Since we both already have a Masters in Elem. Ed, we can add-on the administrative degree and not go through the whole program. We have 4 classes to take this year, 1 year of internship, then we're done. I still have 7 years left on National Boards, so I want to receive that money as long as possible- when you leave the classroom, the state doesn't pay you for NB anymore. So.....never say never!:blush:

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2007

Yeah, I miss being chairman.

10. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

I love teaching kids. I need to be around them. I can't imagine telling teachers what to do. I feel like I'm a big kid. I love seeing them learn new things and get excited about the smallest things. You miss all that when you become a principal. Plus the best thing about being a teacher is ... June, July, and August!!!!!

11. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Aug 9, 2007

My original plan was to 1. get a job 2 get masters in admin 3. Be an elem principal. The reason for my plan was... I live in Michigan so I figured I would end up in a "bad" district (seems to be the only way to get a job here) and use that to get my experience and apply to the "better" & local districts for admin. I have a management background so being the boss is ok for me. And for money reasons it is hard to start over in a new district as a teacher. Here is the issue its a good issue I just need to change my plans. I got hired at one of the best district in the state at the position and grade I wanted (earth science, 8th grade) As long as I stay in the position and district I am in now there is NO WAY I will go admin. I love my job right now. What I need to do now is figure out what to get my masters in now.

12. hbdb

hbdb Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I would always rather be a teacher. Its those great moments and funny remarks that children make that make it all worth while

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2007

special ed..
    curriculm and instruction
    supervision and administration

all of the above would work for you...

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2007

I'm in the same position as some of you were, but you've made your decision. I have an application form for administration training in my e-mail inbox given to me by our principal, and I haven't opened it yet. It's like, if I ignore it, the decision won't have to be made. I'm just not sure what to do.

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

I finally opened it. Didn't help. Are there any administrators out there who regret leaving the classroom? Or vice versa--regret not going for an admin. position?

16. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 12, 2007

If I were younger, I'd definitely give some thought to administration. Sad, but true... I enjoy paperwork and organization. :eek:

But, I'm over the hill :eek:hmy: and since I won't be teaching for many more years (once the kids are finished university, that's probably it for me), there's really no time to invest into becoming an administrator, so for the remainder of my career, I 'm going to be the best darn teacher I know how to be. :D

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2007

Remember when you are over the hill it is down hill the rest of the way you gain speed!​

18. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 13, 2007

I plan on staying in the classroom, until I retire in 30+ years! I have no desire to do anything else, I love my job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.