Poll: Please help me decide where my word wall should go!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by knitchic, Aug 13, 2010.

1. knitchic

knitchic Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

I am having second thoughts about where to put the word wall in my kindergarten classroom. I currently have it set up on a bulletin board at the front of my room, but the shape of the board means that half the alphabet is quite high (at my eye-level, but above the heads of my kiddos).

I would love to have all of the words be more accessible to my students, and I have a long low bulletin board that I am considering as my word wall for this year. I am looking for your opinions! Another teacher was at my school setting up today, and said she would keep it on the standard board, but I am conflicted! Please help!

Should my word wall stay here:
    [​IMG]

Or move to this lower board?
    [​IMG]

If you want to get a sense of my whole room, my classroom photo album is at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/franceschisholm/sets/72157624699182132/

Thanks for your help!!

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2010

I've never taught K, but my opinion is that they would have to kind of squat to see the words on the lower bc of that ledge above it, So I would probably leave it.

PS. I lOVE the cloud painting on the wall

4. knitchic

knitchic Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Thanks! I actually went and finished another wall of clouds today:)

5. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Aug 14, 2010

I used to be worried that my word wall was too high (it was on the chalkboard at the front of the room) but for years I have had it there and loved it. Yes, the kids cannot technically remove words from the wall, but no matter where you are in the room you can easily see the words. I think yours is in a great place and I would leave it!

6. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

I would leave it because I think you will become limited on space if you move it.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2010

I like the black/greenboard a little bit better. I feel like (with only knowing your room from those two pictures) the kids will be more able to access it since you have your tables closer to it and it is a bit lower.

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2010

I take that back. I just looked at your whole room pics and I think your word wall is great where it is!

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 14, 2010

After looking at the pictures of your room, I too think it is fine where you have it. And you have the word rings so they can go take one of those if they need help writing a word. I might put the word ring down lower so they can reach them.

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2010

I like it better where it is. If it's below that chalk board I feel that kids may not be able to see it during class due to other kids, tables, etc. blocking the view.

11. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 15, 2010

Do you put the word wall up before the kiddos arrive or as the year goes? I like it where it's at too, but having the kids put the word where it goes on the word wall kind of helps with word-letter association too (right?). But, having it where you have it does keep the space open under the whiteboard for other words, student work, and maybe even math stuff too.

12. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 15, 2010

Ps...LOVE your gift of painting the clouds too! Evious that you have that freedom to create a calming and peaceful space :)