Poll of type of school applied to or hired by

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by dbs, Aug 19, 2010.

1. dbs

dbs Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

So, I was just wondering...

1. How many people who are still looking for a job have applied to private schools/alternative school settings (ex; parochial schools, day care centers, independent schools, religious schools)

2. How many people have been hired this year or recently to such schools as described above?

If you have been hired by a public school...

3. Were you hired in a district that you had been subbing for or worked as an aide in and then a position opened up soon after (1 year or less) or were you hired in a district that you had never worked for and did not have any internal connections with?

thanks

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 19, 2010

I was offered a job in a district that I had no connections in.

However, I accepted a job in the district I student taught in, at the school I student taught at.

So, it is possible to be hired in a district where you are "unknown", but it certainly helps to be known! It's discouraging, but that is the way it seems to be.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 19, 2010

I worked for two years in a private school which I knew no one and it was a one hour move for me. My second school is also a private school and I sorta had connections (my new headmaster knows the old headmaster who had wonderful things to say about me).

5. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

I was recently hired at a public school, did not have any connections (other than student teaching in the same district - but the district is so large that doesn't mean anything). While searching, I applied to tons of school districts, over a hundred public schools in the district i was hired in, private, parochial, day cares (worked at two different day cares last year).

6. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 20, 2010

My fiance applied to public schools, Catholic schools and charter schools. He got 3 interviews in total - 2 Catholic and 1 charter. He got offered only 1 job and took it... in a Catholic School.

7. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 20, 2010

I applied to only public schools. I have 0 ties anywhere. Had about 15 interviews and was hired in a larger district

8. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Aug 20, 2010

Great questions...I will definitely be checking up on this post to see what the results are. I don't have anything to add yet, but if I do, I will add my info on here!

9. dbs

dbs Rookie

Aug 22, 2010

thanks everyone for replying. It's nice to see what kind of schools
    people are being hired at or applying to and what the circumstances are of how they got hired. Would love to hear from more people if anyone would like to share.

10. teachnew

teachnew Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

I was hired at a public school I had no ties at...in a different state even!

11. OedipaMaas

OedipaMaas Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

As I'm not yet a fully-credentialled teacher, I applied for lots of educational jobs in settings other than conventional public schools (academically-oriented summer camps, after school programs, community centers, private schools, charter schools). I landed in a part-time educator position in a charter school and I could not be happier about being a part of the school and charter organization I work for.

12. springmac

springmac Companion

Aug 23, 2010

I've applied to public and private schools. I've had several interviews in the same public school district, but so far have only landed a LTS job last spring.

I've applied to preschools and private schools. I had an interview at a preschool last week & was offered the position on the spot. However, I turned it down due to the hours (M-Th 8-6). The hours wouldn't work due to my daughters' scheduled. I have an interview today at a private school. Downside is that it's 20 miles away...

13. LostTeacher

LostTeacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

I got hired as a maternity leave for 2nd grade at a small district (2 schools) 45 minutes away from my house. I know absolutely no one in the district, but the sup and the p are from the same state that I grew up in (not NJ).