[Poll] How many years...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HopelessTeacher, Aug 17, 2012.

1. HopelessTeacher

HopelessTeacher Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

How many years...
    a) did it take you to find your first teaching job?
    b) have you spent looking for a job?

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 17, 2012

Years? < 0.25 years. Though HS math is softer than most markets.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

It's a different market than when I started, but:

First job- 2 months

Left due to move out of state...got next job within a few weeks of moving

Interviewed in last months of second job school year and was hired

Same for current job.

First two jobs were private Catholic schools...first I had subbed in once, second I was told about job while signing up as new parishioner...current job a friend handed my resume to the supe...

Make connections, get yourself out there...sub, tutor, volunteer...good luck to you.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 17, 2012

It took me three years to land this job after moving my (newly earned) teaching certificate to Ohio. I don't plan on going anywhere else.

6. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 17, 2012

Less than 24 hours. I kind of fell into my first job. I applied to about 15 different schools on a Wed afternoon in April for September. I got called on Thursday morning to come in Thursday afternoon because they had an immediate opening. I was hired that afternoon for a leave position and was teaching by Friday. I wasn't even out of school yet, I was still taking one night class. I stayed in that position for the next school year.

It took me about 3 weeks to land my current job.

7. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 17, 2012

1st job: about 3 months
    2nd job: less than 2 weeks

I'm certified in 2 high demand areas though. I think it took me so long for the first job because I was pretty bad at interviewing.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

My first teaching job it took me about 3 months after graduating. It was for a long term sub position that transitioned into a full time teaching job the next year.

The longest I've spent looking for a teaching job is 2.5 years.

9. HopelessTeacher

HopelessTeacher Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

Sounds like I wasn't cut out to be a teacher then! Got my elementary credential and have been looking for 6 years in the Socal area! Got a long term 6 months into subbing. Also got several other LTS positions, but no jobs followed. Either jobs were being cut or they just didn't hire me

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 17, 2012

I didn't apply for my first job. I had applied to be in the sub pool while I was going to work on my master's and a principal noticed me.

I didn't work for six months due to an injury, but got a mid-year position three weeks after I was released to work by my doctor.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

Hope~this doesn't mean that you weren't cut out to be a teacher, just that times have become quite tough to get a teaching job.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

:yeahthat:

13. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 17, 2012

No it doesn't. It can take years. It took my husband 1 year to get a 1 day a week job. It took him 3 years of part time to work his way up to full time.

14. Purposeinteach

Purposeinteach Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

a.) still looking :(

b.) I graduated in 2010 and finished my full year of student teaching in April of 2011 and have been looking ever since, so for about 1 year and 4 months now :eek:

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 17, 2012

How many years...
    a) did it take you to find your first teaching job?
    b) have you spent looking for a job?

I started looking in March and was hired in July my first year. My second year I started looking in February/March and was hired in May.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2012

I was recruited during college...taught while I was in college and found a new job every time we moved after one or two interviews.

Granted, I started teaching many years ago and have never really had to experience the tough job prospects that many recent grads have.

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 17, 2012

a) I started teaching two weeks before I offcially graduated

b) I haven't changed jobs

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 17, 2012

1st 1.5 years from graduation to start date.
    Looked obviously for 1.5 years.

19. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Aug 17, 2012

I got my first teaching job in 2008. It was my first interview and I was hired on the spot.

I started looking for a new job in May after my district announced it would implement furlough days next year. I sent in my resume and heard nothing for a month. Then, I got an interview and was hired. I resigned from my previous job in May after getting the offer with the adjoining county where they would pay me appropriately based on experience.

So, I've had two teacher interviews and gotten them both in a short amount of time.

20. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 17, 2012

I think that I had a job before graduation, but my first job was in a Catholic school - a little easier to come by at that time. I looked for my second job for three months before being hired. My current job - hard to say because I spent many years subbing and didn't really want to work full time. I know that I applied for a couple of jobs before getting this one. However, I will say that times have changed. Back in the 1980s it would have been unheard of for principals in my area to get hundreds of resumes. Now that is commonplace!

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2012

A year and a half. I had to move 750 miles to get it.

22. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Aug 17, 2012

Teacher of Art-Graduated in May 2009. I am still looking. :(

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2012

I graduated in December and there were 2 openings at a school I subbed at the end of the school year. Put in there and got one of the openings.... Majored in elem with the ZA endorsement.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

I'm math, so I strongly suspect my answers won't help much.

I had signed a contract for my first job, and had turned down 4 others, by the time I graduated from college.

25. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

a) I graduated Dec 21, 2011 and got my long term sub job Jan 10, 2012. It was at the school I student taught at. I applied for jobs over the Summer and was hired about 2 months into my job hunt.

b) 2 months, it was my first interview actually. I went in thinking it was going to be practice for other interviews.

I feel very blessed. But I basically have 5 endorsements, speak 2 languages, and am a cheap hire who is trained in Daily 5 and SIOP.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

Your reasoning doesn't make sense.

How can you compare your experience with elementary ed in So Cal in this market with mine in Secondary math in 1980???

Several principals have hired you as an LTS in a market with lots of competition. Apparently they see something that sets you above the competition.

I realize it may be late for this season. But when you get the chance, revamp your cover letter. Make sure that it highlights your strenghts. Right now I simply cannot read another, though Teacher Groupie has been tireless in helping people. But if you wait until the dead of winter, when yours is the only cover letter, I'm sure it will get lots of attention.

Work on your interview skills. It's NOT just about having the right answer, it's about portraying yourself in the right light.

Hang in there, and don't mistake a brutal job market for a statement about your ability to teach. They are NOT the same thing!!

27. SeñoritaM

SeñoritaM Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

2 months to find my first job (last year) and 4 months to find this one. But keep in mind that I teach Spanish, which is pretty specialized and there probably isn't as much competition.

28. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 17, 2012

You have a few factors working against you, but your "cut" isn't one of them. :)

1st it's the credential---elementary is brutal.

2nd is LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. I've heard CA is one of (if not THE) toughest market. Are you willing to relocate to find a job?

29. msvateach

msvateach Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

I got my license in one state in Dec 2009, immediatley got a LTS job for the Spring and hit the pavement with my resume. No luck with a job that summer. Since then I had 4 more long term sub jobs in 2010/2011 and 2011/2012 school years. I moved back to my home state, got certified here and applied in both states. This summer I had 12 interviews and number 12 led to my full time elementary position.

So, 2 certifications, 5 LTS jobs and 2 years 7 months later I got my first teaching job.

Keep your chin up if you are still looking, apply for LTS jobs and make connections. ;)

30. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2012

I got a job my first summer out of college, BUT it was in sped and I moved across the country to get it. I was willing to sacrifice location but I did not want to work with secondary students so it was more important to me to find an elementary position. Had I insisted on staying in my home state, I can almost guarantee I'd still be searching three years later. Of the people I graduated with, all of those willing to relocate have found jobs in states with better markets. All of those that are only staying in my home state are still subbing- every single one of them. I was looking for a new job for this school year and got a regular ed elementary position after only about 6 weeks of looking- BUT that's because I'm still in the state with the better job market, and I work in a low performing urban school.

31. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Aug 17, 2012

Baloney. The person just picked a bad major. The market is NOT like it was when you started out.

It's time for some reality. It may take YEARS to get a job, and once you get it, you are treated like dirt. It is getting worse with wholesale privatization of public education.

32. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Aug 17, 2012

The problem is because of NCLB, districts won't even look at you if you are an out-of-state teacher. That is my situation right now. I don't even have money to take the idiot tests to get certified here. I have to go through all of the garbage to substitute, even substituting classified, to get even a lousy classified position. I am too old to retrain and I am not moving clear across the country to be treated like garbage like my last school district did to me.

It is not realistic to expect teachers to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars getting certified in a state without a job in hand.

The only places in the country hiring are those in the worst areas. Who wants to work in lousy workplace conditions?

33. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 17, 2012

tony, did you forget to eat your Frosted Flakes this morning? Because your attitude is not GRRRRRREEEEEAAATTT!

34. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 17, 2012

Not true. I was hired in an affluent suburb less than two weeks after graduating, and I didn't know a soul. Yes, it was for secondary math, but we hired a total of 40+ teachers this year....mainly elementary in fact.

I am sorry education has not treated you kindly...maybe you should consider a different line of work.

One final point---just because an area is perceived as bad does not necessarily mean the workplace conditions are lousy.

35. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Aug 17, 2012

6 years

36. MrsK1234

MrsK1234 Rookie

Aug 18, 2012

Well...

I graduated in December 2008.

Went back to my old TA job because I had promised I would. Finished out the school year.

(2009-2010) The next year, transferred to another TA job because I hadn't gotten a job yet.

(2010-2011) The next year, I subbed, taking on 2 LTS during the school year

(2011-2012) The next year, I subbed in the beginning and then got offered a interim job that I was told by principal would be permanent.

(2012-2013) I'll be subbing again.

So 4 years and no job.

37. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 18, 2012

I found my first job within a few months of graduating. I had only applied for two positions, though, because there weren't any nearby.

Second time looking, ten years later, I was hired almost immediately after finishing my M.S. It was my first interview out.

Fast forward 13 years later-- looking again after being a SAHM. This is my second year looking. I have just accepted a seven month LTS job.

I attribute several factors to not landing a contract yet: 1) the elementary market in my state is saturated, particularly in my area, and I cannot move. 2) I am older and cost more money 3) there is a bias against SAHMs? I don't know if this is true. I just wonder sometimes...although I have taken courses, volunteered, etc. to keep my skills up, getting interviews is hard. 4) I haven't looked aggressively enough. I didn't start looking this year until June because I wasn't sure I wanted to go back this year. I had a very tough experience last year which culminated in me getting pneumonia. I had two great part time jobs in education and thought I might do that again this year, but changed my mind and decided to start looking, probably too late. 5) finally, I was very nervous interviewing this year up until the last couple of interviews. Might have been for the best, befause I really wasnt thrilled about the first few districts I interviewed in.

These are just guesses on the factors impacting my situation. It could be any combination, but most likely the market is the biggest one. I think it is the toughest I've ever seen it.

I would work on getting experience in education in any way you can, whether tutoring or subbing, etc. and use this board for advice and reviews on your application materials. It's not you!

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2012

OP, before you take these words to heart, do me a favor.

Hit on the poster's name, then on "Find all posts by tonysam."

39. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Aug 18, 2012

I don't know if any of the poster's experiences here accurately reflect how brutal it is out there to land a job. I certainly don't think it's the norm anywhere anymore to land a job right out of college or before you graduate. It can take years to land a job in this economy. I guess that's good in a way because it weeds out those not truly dedicated to the profession, but I guess I can only say that and have this perspective now that I've finally landed a job.

You have to have an extremely thick skin and be able to handle rejection. Over and over. And over and over. That being said, it took me two years to get my position in elementary special ed. As hard as it may seem at times, don't give up if this is what you feel like you were truly meant to do. That's really what kept me going.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2012

I think you bring up a good point that some of us have mentioned: we had great luck finding jobs right away, but not in this economy. Many of us have been teaching since long before the economy crashed.

There are so many parts of the country, like metro NYC, where it has always been brutally hard to find a teaching job. But other parts of the country have just gotten that way in the past few years.

There is not, and never has been in some areas, anything resembling a "teacher shortage"
    since about ther time that teachers were given deferments from the Vietnam War!

That said, something like 127 members of this online community have found jobs this year. They're from all over the US and Canada (I don't recall any from other areas of the world on that list; my apoligies if I'm incorrect) and a variety of grades/subjects. Some of them are recent graduates, some are not.

So, yes, it's a battle. But sometimes we win.

41. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 18, 2012

It took me about 2 months. I had 2 interviews for elementary positions and didn't get selected for either one. Then, I took the certification test for Special Ed. At that time, you could tell by your raw score if you passed or not at the testing center. They've stopped doing that. :(
    Anyhow, within a week of taking the test, I had 3 teacher interviews lined up. I even received a call from a principal wanting me to interview for a para position.
    I got the position from the first SPED interview. That being said, I want to do something else. I've added two more grade-levels to my Gen Ed certificate (EC-6) and the ESL certification, but can't seem to get into another position. I know that it's my interview skills. I just get so, so nervous.

This year, I'm going to the transfer fair for our district and will be a lot more proactive. Jobs started posting in April, but I didn't start applying until June.