Poll: How many years have you been looking?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by merigold78, Feb 19, 2007.

1. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Feb 19, 2007

hi everyone! just out of curiosity i decided to start a poll. i would like to know how many years-in a row-you have been looking for a job. if you would like, also tell your area (early, middle, etc.) and what part of the country you live in. the person who's been looking the longest will win a PRIZE! (just kidding!) so i'll go first:

*Looking for past 5 years
    *Early childhood (Pre-K-3)
    *SW Ohio-Cincinnati area (Don't move here if you need a job!!!)

i look forward to everyone's responses! enjoy your week! :) -meri

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2007

took 4 years to land ist job

finished out the year

and now resuming the search..

graduated in 1994

4. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Feb 19, 2007

~Looking since 2005.
    ~English 6-12
    ~graduated in 2002, but dallied through alternative accrediation for a couple years.

I've been since since 2005, with several open-ended long term positions and interviews, but never hired. Always a bridesmaid...

5. princesspatunia

princesspatunia Rookie

Feb 19, 2007

I substituted for one school district and one teacher loved me and told everyone else. I was offered a long term sub job that turned into a contract the following year. I have been teaching ECE for 10 years. I would suggest substituting and really getting your name out there. Make an effort to meet the principal when subbing at a school. Also when on interviews ask for feed back from them. Do you need to work on your interviewing skills? (not trying to be hurtful) Or is it that there are no jobs? Have you tried the private sector? I would look out of state if that is an option for you. I teach in Colorado and we had 8 people at our new employee orientation this year from Iowa alone. I wish you the best of luck in your search and hope you find something soon!!!

6. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Feb 19, 2007

I have been looking for the past 3 years.
    Early Childhood (Pre-K-3)
    SE Pa.- Our area has an abundance of candidates.

7. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Feb 19, 2007

p.p.-thanks for all the good advice :). i'm actually teaching at a charter now, but would LOVE to get on in a nice suburban school. unfortunately so would everyone else here, so the market is pretty tight. i have thought about subbing but am really on the fence about taking a pay cut, losing insurance, etc. but perhaps that's what i need to do to get more "exposure" in some of the schools i'd love to work in. anyhoo, thanks again for the advice/support...enjoy the rest of your week!! -meri

p.s. my husband has recently refused to move out of state, but just said he'd consider colorado. are you hiring??!! (j/k!)

8. skiteach

skiteach Rookie

Feb 19, 2007

Hi-
    I became certified in May 2005 and have been looking since then (so, about 2 years). Seemed to have several more interviews summer of 2005 for some reason, then just 2 last summer (after getting a full year of teaching assistant experience).

I am certified in elementary ed. in MA. and NH.

9. alt edu

alt edu Companion

Feb 20, 2007

~graduated May 2005
    ~Art (K-12) / Math (7-9)
    ~SE Pennsylvania

I did land a job for this current year; however it is in Math at an alternative school and I really want to teach art. Problem is there is usually only one teacher per school or per a few schools. Also... many of them are old and should retire to make room for us youngins:p

10. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 20, 2007

graduated May 2006
    K-8 with LA endoresment
    Central NM

I'm subbing since November. I almost had a teaching job, the principal said I was near the top of the list, but he probally went with someone not fresh out of school. I am praying for a job next year. I'm stressed and feeling depressed. But I talked to someone who graduated in 2003 and she keeps getting short term jobs. She might have a position next year.

11. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Feb 21, 2007

thank you to everyone for sharing!! :) i hope that we all find GREAT jobs soon...we certainly deserve it! have a great rest of the week!

-meri

12. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Feb 21, 2007

Hey, Meri

1)I am an aide now, so I have been looking for a year this time around and am still searching (All told, I have been looking for 8 years with an office job stuck in the middle)
    2)Elementary Ed K-6, but working toward sped
    3)NJ (don't move here either!!) :p

13. alt edu

alt edu Companion

Feb 21, 2007

Kidatheart you have been on NJ Hire right?
    I cannot believe how difficult it is for teachers to find jobs.... :(

14. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Feb 21, 2007

going on 6 years.
    Graduated 1981, re-certified in 2000, and 2005, am considered Highly qualified
    Substituted for 5.5 years. Multiply long terms, no contract since I left special ed.
    Certified Elementary Ed.
    Currently dabbling in the banking world , got to work somewhere!!!
    few if any interviews, unlessit is an impossible classroom.(or so it seems) Hey, I've accepted 4 long terms in these classrooms, and am lucky to have any sanity left!!
    Much rather teach a regular ed, 3-5th grade less than 30 miles from home, but am looking at the possiblity of moving.

15. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 21, 2007

I have to admit I'm glad that most of you do not live in New York! I'm on Long Island and I only graduated last year but I'm already feeling discouraged. In my area the problem is just that there are hardly any positions available, period. My timing in being born was just off I guess! I'm coming into the workforce here at the wrong time. I'm certified to teach general and special ed from birth to grade 6 and there still aren't any opportunities coming my way aside from random sub lists. I spent the last year doing Pre-K, but after paying for master's courses I am still broke! I love my little ones but the bottom line is they can't put food on my table. It helps to know so many of you are still looking also, but I wish it wasn't taking so long! For any of us!

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 21, 2007

*This will be my third spring/summer looking for a job in the public schools (graduated May 2005).
    I do have a job in a private school this year so I consider myself lucky, but the pay is ridiculously low and the situation is far from ideal.
    * I'm licensed in elementary (1-6)
    *I'm in Southeastern MA

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2007

Long Island here too... I feel your pain.

18. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Feb 21, 2007

I graduated in December 2003, so I've been out awhile. I subbed and I also took a job in Florida for a year.
    I'm licensed in Elem Ed (K-9)
    I'm in Illinois and there is a surplus of teachers and very few openings. A school district right in my area has 11 teachers retiring this june, but there not replacing any of them. They are planning on increasing the class sizes because of a lack of funding. I've got my fingers crossed that I will land something for this august. I don't want to move again.

19. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 21, 2007

*graduated in May 2003, BS in Early Childhood (birth-3rd)
    *spent 2 years as a 1:1 TA at a school for autistic kids
    *one year as a PreK special ed teacher in public schools... that one didn't last due to a number of factors
    *currently teaching 3's PreK at a childcare center... pay's low and the hours are lousy, but at least I get benefits, and most of the people are pretty nice

*looking for next year... but I've decided to focus my search a bit more. I learned last year areas I DON'T want to work in, so I'm only applying this year to places I want to work in. I don't need public schools enough to be miserable again.

20. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Feb 21, 2007

Looking since Dec 2004
    Early Childhood Ed (Pk-3)
    NE Ohio (East of Cleveland)

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2007

Are you guys sure that this will make you feel better???

Read a lot of instant-job stories, and you're bound to think "why not me??"

Read a lot of others who have taken a while, and it might seem to feel as though "it's never going to happen to any of us!"

Finding the right job is like finding true love: some people get lucky right away, others take a while. But it's out there for everyone. (My 48 year old sister just got married for the first time.)

I say start a new thread on the strategies you're using to find success this time around!

22. skiteach

skiteach Rookie

Feb 22, 2007

comforting

Does it make me feel better? It makes me feel like I'm not alone in this frustration, so this thread is comforting in ways. People think I'm crazy for not giving up in my job search, I just keep plugging along, and sometimes I question my sanity, as I spend many evenings reviewing my resume, fine tuning cover letters, strategizing!! So it's nice to see other who share my "craziness" and determination.
    However, I have noticed the last few days, I've been "dwelling" here..yikes...as we all gear up for job season, maybe we should dwell on another topic!!

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2007

OK, that makes sense. I hadn't thought of it in those terms.

24. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Feb 22, 2007

I have, but I never see anything on there for me!
    I also use other career websites- no luck there either. I'm considering expanding my search area to include PA since I have my eled cert there too, but I don't think things are any rosier over there, are they???:(

25. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2007

I'm thinking of going back to school.... again Either for ESL or Social Work. I am beyond frustrated... I would love to be settled in my career at this point, instead, I'm still looking.

26. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Feb 22, 2007

Frizz, you said a mouthful!! I am too old to be going thru all this rigamoral!! I want to be settled in. But more and more, even in the "real world", jobs are not guaranteed, and most people are looking for jobs after 10+ years in their industry!

27. alt edu

alt edu Companion

Feb 22, 2007

There are 18 postings on PAREAP.NET now for Elem Ed

28. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Feb 22, 2007

Thanks - heading there now. I guess my alerts aren't working! :p

29. up4achallenge

up4achallenge Rookie

Feb 22, 2007

I have been looking for 3 weeks. Rookie here. :)
    I am looking for a 1st grade position.
    Looking in the Phoenix.
    Had 4 interviews so far. Expecting one offer early next week and heard from another district this evening that a "final" interview was forthcoming next week!