Poll: How is the job mrkt in your area?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hipteachergirl, Mar 6, 2008.

1. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Mar 6, 2008

I was just wondering how the job market is in each state. Obviously some states are much more difficult to find jobs in than others.
    Oklahoma's job market is pretty good. We have a low cost of living, but there are ALOT of areas where I would never consider moving.

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2008

I'm in Central New York and the job market is rough in just about all of New York except for New York City. There are just so many teacher colleges and there is a really strong teacher's union here, so the pay is really good compared to the cost of living and the retirement is good. I would love to get a job right around here or most places in the state (except for New York City or Long Island), but if I don't I will move to another state.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 7, 2008

It is hard to find a job in Southern Maine. I sent out in four years probably 500+ application and have gotten two jobs from the search. Due to budget cuts I'll probably be looking again this year.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 7, 2008

I live in central Arkansas and the job market is pretty good. There are always openings here. The pay is decent compared to the cost of living.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2008

There are always openings in Las Vegas. The pay is okay, but the cost of living is high.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2008

The job market here in this area of Texas isn't that bad. Some districts around here pay better than others. The cost of living is pretty low.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 7, 2008

In southwest Indiana the job market is very tight. We typically have more than 100 apps for EVERY available position except for Math, Science and Foreign Language.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2008

In Michigan (where I am from), it is impossible.

I currently live in NC (Charlotte area) and it is very good.

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 7, 2008

You have to "know somebody" if you want a job here in Ohio.

11. Ms. Tas

Ms. Tas Rookie

Mar 7, 2008

hipteachergirl
    I'm in Chicago and the market is good. I'm a SPED teacher so finding a job wasn't difficult however I think its slightly more difficult for general education teachers. But again the market is good. The pay is different in different areas.

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

Mar 7, 2008

Northeast Ohio is a tough market.

13. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Mar 7, 2008

So Cal is very tight unless you are willing to work in the low performing urban schools.

14. nocci01

nocci01 New Member

Mar 7, 2008

I was reading and learned that America is losing about 500,000 (and climbing fast) mid-level jobs every year. The government is raving about job creations but they don't classify the jobs. We're losing mid-level jobs (middle management) that will not be replaced and creating jobs at drive-thru windows, Wal-Mart, and correctional facility officers. Scary thought isn't it? I also heard from one of my mentors about what is happening in Detroit right now. About half of the kids in Detroit aren't graduating high school...the automakers pulled out and left thousands and thousands of people unemployed. If you want to know more about where I got this information, feel free to send me a message.

Thanks,
    Nam
    Motivational Speaker/Educator

15. LangArtsGuy

LangArtsGuy Rookie

Mar 8, 2008

I was looking into Vegas hearing about all of the job openings, but heard some pretty nasty rumors about them putting all of the new people coming in to teach from out of state in horrible schools with ruthless administrators (with a weak non-functioning union)...could you give more info on the district?

16. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 8, 2008

I'm in PA and the market is very tight.

17. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Mar 8, 2008

i live in sw ohio (around cincinnati) and the job market here is ridiculously tight. i agree wholeheartedly with the person who commented that you basically "have to know someone."

LANG. ARTS GUY-your comment about las vegas really struck a chord with me. many teachers here, including myself, have to take crappy jobs b/c they can't get on anywhere else. they end up working extended days, under administrators who have no clue....and yet we wonder why so many people leave the profession. i am just thankful that I KNOW this is what i'm supposed to be doing.

good luck to everyone still looking - especially those living in the wonderful buckeye state like me! :) have a wonderful weekend!

-meri

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2008

I don't think that's accurate. There are a few things to consider:

1. Vegas is a huge city, and CCSD is a huge district. There are lots of schools, some of which are great and some of which are less than great.

2. The quality of the administration varies from school to school, and it doesn't seem to match up to whether it's a "good" school or a "bad" school.

3. Transfers happen all the time within the schools here, and admins (particularly the lower level admins like APs and deans) rarely have an assignment lasting more than a couple of years. All that turnover probably impacts how well the admin team fuctions, because they might still be getting to know each other when they have another change in personnel.

4. Teachers already in the district get first pick at openings at other schools. Yes, most of those in-district transfer teachers are likely to choose positions at "better" schools. This means that often the open positions are at tougher schools, and that's where they're going to put the new hires.

5. A new teacher will probably have to stay at his first assigned school for two years before requesting a transfer. After that, he can go wherever he likes as long as there's an open position.

6. What you've heard about the "union" being weak is pretty much right. The only things I can say about that are a) hopefully you won't need the union to intervene, and b) you'll be fine as long as you get post-probationary status (which usually happens after two years, but sometimes after only one).

7. Based on what I've seen and my own experience, I think that they treat all new hires the same, regardless of where they came from or how much teaching experience they have.

Hope this helps! :)

19. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

Its not good out here. I teach in Ohio, and while its very easy to find a Catholic school/private school job, public jobs are hard to come by. I work in the Catholic school and really enjoy my job (most of the time) but the pay is not so great. On the plus side, cost of living is super low out here :D There are decent houses on the market for under 100K.

20. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 9, 2008

SoCal job market is horrible...nobody is hiring and they're laying off. :(

21. LangArtsGuy

LangArtsGuy Rookie

Mar 10, 2008

I really appreciate all of the info Cassie, thanks

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

What's horrible is that I plan to move back down to the central coast, which is really bad. I am mentally planning on being a sub again. I really feel that I'll just have to suck it up and deal with the adventure of being a sub. Sigh.....

23. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

Mar 11, 2008

Hey Guys,
    Just a quick question regarding jobs in general. When I leave university I will have a bachelors degree that will qualify me to teach both elementary and middle school. How is the general job market for Middle school Maths and Science teachers? Are those jobs hard to come by in the US or are there openings? Or, does it vary from state to state?

Cheers,
    Poisontipped

24. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Mar 15, 2008

Middle School Math and Science is much better than other subject areas but not as good as high school level.

25. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

Mar 16, 2008

Thanks for your help smartcookie :) so the chances of landing a job in Maths and Science (middle) in the US is good?

Thanks again

26. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Mar 16, 2008

my area, south Texas, positions are opening up all over the place. I teach high school math in my home district. 3 out of 4 districts I looking to transfer to have positions listed on their website, primarily because of growth but some of them look like retirees. just waiting for them to bite on my application and resume.

27. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Mar 16, 2008

Me too...the budget cuts in NJ are awful. Especially for the ABBOTT districts. Does anyone know of any districts in central/norther NJ that will be hiring???

28. I.D. Clair

I.D. Clair Companion

Mar 18, 2008

Central Ohio & Surrounding Areas

The market is saturated with new grads & applicants.
    Yet, colleges are encouraging people with bachelors in other areas to become teachers......I don't get it.

It is not what you do, but who you know, that will help you get a job.

Some school districts are reducing staff.

29. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Mar 18, 2008

Good in my area. My district in particular is opening schools every year! Next year we will open a new elementary, and 2 middle schools. Over the past 2 years there have been 2 new elementaries and 1 new high school....Incredible growth around here!

30. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Mar 18, 2008

I actually have a job this year (this is my first year teaching), but I know what it was like to look for a job last year in NJ. (And not much has changed in the past 7 months).

It's DISGUSTING. It is VERY difficult to get a teaching job in the following areas (in Jersey):
    - Elementary School
    - High School/MS Social Studies
    - High Schools/MS English

It is easier to find jobs in Special Ed, and High School/MS Math and Science.

The college I went to is historically a teacher's college, so teaching is what it's best known for. So, my school is pumping out new teachers every year, and there simply isn't enough teaching jobs. Of course, I can't speak for all areas of NJ... especially rural areas, but around where I live (central NJ), it's extremely difficult. I think I'm one of the VERY few people in my class of 2007 with a teaching job. (I'm so thankful!!!):)

31. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Mar 18, 2008

It's like that everywhere in NJ. I just finished graduate school so I'm starting the job search process. There are too many applicants and not enough positions. The sad thing is that most jobs are snatched up by employees within the district so outsiders don't have a chance. I'm a building substitute and have a lot of connections so hopefully that will help. Only time will tell!

32. I.D. Clair

I.D. Clair Companion

Mar 19, 2008

Could you share what cities, districts you are talking about?
    I am not familiar at all with Texas. All I know is that it is near the Gulf, and has turbulent weather?? South, "cowboys"????:whistle:

33. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Mar 19, 2008

In my area of Texas, there are many possibilities, especially in Special Education and secondary Math and Science. Part of this is due to the population growth and part is due to the low pay compared to the rest of the country. But then the cost of living in Texas is lower, too.

34. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Mar 29, 2008

I know exactly what you mean. The politics are ridiculous. The town I work in is actually very political. I am one of the few teachers who do not live in town (or ever lived in town). I student taught last year in one of the schools, and the principal really seemed to like me for a 3rd grade position that would open. Unfortunately, the superintendent didn't even want to meet up with me... he already had "the daughter of a friend, of somebody that is somebody" lined up for it. I was devastated, and disappointed that I had not been given a chance, even though the principal liked me, I had student taught AND substitute taught within district! Just when I had given up all hope, a week and a half before the school year started, the principal called me again. He had been transferred to a different school within district, and wanted me to interview for it. I was doubtful, but I went anyway... and this time the superintendent actually met with me!!! I couldn't believe it!

So, moral of my story-- it is rough out there. But continue to do a good job, get your name out there by subbing, and meeting with principals, and the right job will come along! (Hey, I had no connections, and it happened to me!!!)

Good luck with your search! :)

35. LangArtsGuy

LangArtsGuy Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

tell me about it...the only jobs i'm seeing are up in Norcal. I'm starting to feel like I should just resign to being a sub for quite some time, or relocating :mad:

36. LangArtsGuy

LangArtsGuy Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

I was kind of looking at jobs around there. The pay seems horrendous, even worse than socal. One high school I looked at starts teachers with a BA+45 at around 37k a year, with the median housing price being 1 million dollars for the area. :eek:
    I didn't get into this education thing for the money, but geez...i'd like to be able to spend some money on myself after the expenses are all paid.

37. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 30, 2008

It's not too good on the west coast of FL. Our population growth is slowed to an almost halt. Even though I've been reapointed there is no job for me at my current school. I'm starting the transfer process. They cancelled our district's job fair year this year because even though there are some new schools opening we will actually not need to hire any outside applicants. It's pretty scary!!

38. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Mar 30, 2008

Is anyone familiar with the job market for teaching out in Denver/CO Springs area/

39. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Mar 30, 2008

There are always openings in New York City,the problem is you have to know someone to get into a good school,or you need combat training in the schools that always have openings.Some areas,math,science,ELL,Special education,always have openings,while in Social Studies And English it is much more difficult.

40. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

where in socal are you misswull? i'm feeling discouraged.

41. MaddieMommy

MaddieMommy Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

Florida is going through a major economic change. It used to be that they were Begging for teachers and would recruit all over the country. Times have changed. Lee County has announced that they will not participate in any job fairs or outside recruiting this year. Collier County can't decide what type of schedule they want for the secondary schools. Both school districts are facing million dollar shortages for the next few years. Special Ed, Math, and Science seem to be okay. The pay is $38-$40K for first year teachers for these school districts but the cost of living is very high.