Poll: Does your school provide lamination?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Miss W, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 3, 2005

Just wondering? Does your school provide lamination for you, or do you pay for it yourself?

I'm in a school district that each school has a laminator, and teachers have unlimited lamination as long as they don't abuse it.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2005

School buys lamination film- unfortunately only a few people know how to load the film (I learned!!) so the machine gets kinked up sometimes by people using it that really don't know what they are doing.

My son used to go to a school where each teacher had a designated number of feet of film per year. (I don't know how they kept track!!)

Some schools also keep track of how many photocopies you make- I'm not limited on this either.

4. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2005

Yes, we can laminate one day a week (tuesday) and the PTO moms do it for us.

5. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Aug 3, 2005

We have unlimited lamination as long as the laminate holds out. Last year we had a teacher willing to donate money from her basic ed. fund (that she hadn't used) in order to make it to the end of the school year. My para is the one who does all the laminating. She hates it but they tried to do it where everyone does their own laminating and someone left it on over a weekend! Yikes! Could have burned down the school. So we now have to let Rusty do it.

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 3, 2005

Small school in Kansas. We have unlimited lamination and photo copies. Teachers on the floor can smell it when it is left on for an hour or so. Ask how to use it before you try on your own. A laminator is like other things ---it is best to know what you are doing. I don't mind and laminate for others, sometimes they leave small projects and whoever runs a larger project, does some of the extra small projects. Saves heating it up..

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 3, 2005

Our school keeps track, but doesn't really care how many copies we make.
    Our wonderful secretary refills the laminating film when it's needed. It's located in a room behind her office, so she turns it off each day when it's time to lock up.

8. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 3, 2005

We can laminate & copy to our hearts' content. (Although at the beg. of the year you do have to beat everyone to the rush or wait in line!)

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2005

Yes, we have a laminator at our school that we can use as much as we want. They do ask that we not laminate excessively, but no one keeps track. The Board of Ed sends additional laminating film whenever we request it. (We have a large roll type of laminator that requires 2 rolls, one top and one bottom). It's the night custodian's job to turn it off after the last teacher leaves for the day, and the morning one turns it on when he arrives.

As for copying, they DO keep track, and we've gotten to the point where the school has run out of paper, but it's never been approached to us as individual teachers - "Mrs. Dixon, you copied way over your allowed number last week." I don't know why they keep track, but it's done by grade level, not by classroom. This year, at the end, we were really, really low on paper and everything had to be done on colored paper, which we had extra of.
    Kim

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 3, 2005

We have pin numbers for our copier. It shows you how many copies you've made so far. We've never run out of paper. I think they keep track so they know how much money they need to put in the budget for paper next year.

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2005

We can laminate for free, but if it runs out it may be a day or two before the one person who is allowed to change it gets around to it.

12. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 3, 2005

Yes, we can laminate for free.

We also can copy for free, but it is considered abuse if teachers make humongous numbers of copies that should have gone to the "print shop." The District runs the print shop which is intended for very large orders.

But my school doesn't have a die-cut machine. I LOVED my student teaching school, which had one on site with zillions of patterns. Wah. There is one at the District workroom, but supposedly it is not outfitted with as many patterns. :(

13. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 3, 2005

In my school, we have have laminator that has been broken for a least 4 years (basically since I have been there). I go to a Learning Resource Center to laminate (about 80 cents per meter)... We do not get reimburst. They were looking into purchasing a new laminator this year. Hopefully it will come through. I am one to learn how to assemble and fix the copier and laminator. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Unlimited photocopying (but I double-side everything to save paper) ;)

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 3, 2005

We can copy to our hearts content. Laminate sometimes to our hearts content. Depends if the laminator is working or not. The last 1/2 of the year it was broken. The year before we ran out of laminate about 1/2 through the year. We're suppose to be getting a new laminator. We'll see.

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 3, 2005

We have 3 Ellison machines and lots of dies. We are trading in one of the machines to get a discount on a new type of rolling die-cut machine. Our PIA is paying for the rest of it.

16. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Aug 3, 2005

The school will tell teachers that they will laminate anything we went, but they don't!

I buy clear laminate (in the shelf liner section) and "laminate" by hand. :rolleyes:

17. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2005

We have an Ellison, too, but only have the basic alphabet "dies" in two sizes (both upper and lower case). I'd LOVE to have some cool shapes!

By the way, we're a really small school - 1 PK teacher, 2 of all other grades, K-5, so only having one isn't a hardship. There's never a "backup" of people waiting to use it.
    Kim

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 3, 2005

We have 13-2nd grade and 13-3rd grade. Plus we let the west building use them when they need to. Having 3 is nice if you're a school our size.

19. yessc31

yessc31 Companion

Aug 3, 2005

no laminator that the teachers can use..and we have to supply our own paper for the copier(tear).

20. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 3, 2005

The school I subbed and Student taught at has free lamination and free copies, and if you need more than 25 copies you have to use the risograph also free of charge-but it is a poor district that recently got a big grant.

21. MzB

MzB Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

We have unlimited lamination in my county, depending on if there's film. At one school I did practicums at, they had a lady that did all the laminating for everyone on a certain day, or you could do it yourself.

22. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Aug 3, 2005

Our grade level has to buy lamination to use and we are supposed to leave it for the para to do. Some of the older teachers tell us we are allowed to laminate but I know the person who keeps track hates that and tells the newer teachers that they really aren't suposed to. We buy our own paper to use on the copier. We get money at the begining of the year to buy supplies so this comes out of that budget.

23. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2005

the school I volunteer at is really great, when my copier broke at work I just made my copies at the school and no one cared. They also let me laminate stuff for work ( posters, my wall alphabet, flashcards, etc). I've tried not to abuse it though...The teachers can laminate and copy as much as they want, but if they need to take paper from the workroom they have to write down how much they took (but I think that's more just to see how much paper they'll need next year)

24. dee

dee Companion

Aug 3, 2005

We have 2 laminators (1 big,1 small) in the school that we can use on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Since it is the beginning of the year and teachers are getting their rooms ready, they have been on everyday. We also have a pin number for copies on 2 machines. We get 800 a month on one machine and 500 a week on the other machine. We have unlimited amounts of paper. I could not imagine having to buy my own paper to make copies. We also have an Ellison machine in our school.

This makes me think about another question, does your school provide bulletin board paper for you or do you have to buy your own? We are also provided with paper and we usually have about 10-15 colors to choose from.

25. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 3, 2005

In my school, we do not have an ellision machine at all. We asked the PTA for money for the machine but they declined and used it for other things. As for bulletin board paper, we have some but not a lot (about 5-7 colors). It looks a bit old too.

Last year, we ran out of white copy paper and had to use color paper that has been in storage for years. In fact the paper, was curled and would jam in our copier. A daily hassle at the end of the year... Hopefully we won't go through that again... :eek:

26. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Aug 3, 2005

we can laminate and copy to our hearts content.

The copies are kept track of.. but just the number made in the year. I think it's so they know how much paper to get for the next year. Of course I run off lots on color paper I buy myself, so... that might be why we never seem to run out of white paper *Snicker* there are several of us who do this.

27. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 3, 2005

does your school provide lamination

Teachers all donate a portion of their funds at the beginning of the year to cover lamination and 1 of the copiers. So we end up being able to laminate as much as we want too. We have PIN numbers for both copiers. The one we've paid for(we have 1000 copies per month) and the one provided by our PTA(800 copies per month). We must supply our own paper for 1 and the PTA gives each teacher 16 packs of paper a year for the other. I'm at a K-2 school and we have 17 of each grade. We have to have some sort of limit on the copiers with so many people needing to use them.

28. Tex-Teach

Tex-Teach Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

Yes. But we have to turn it in ahead of time for a designated person in the library to do so.

29. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 3, 2005

Yes, we are able to use whatever we need. That is one thing that our principal isn't concerened about. However, only the janitors know how to load the machine so it stinks if you run out while they are busy, absent, or if you're possibly going in to work on Saturday or Sunday.

30. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 4, 2005

We have free use of the laminator. For a couple of years only the librarian could use it because of a certain teacher. (She let it roll back on itself 4 times in a month) Once she was gone, we have free use again. They don't order it often, though, so we all have to be careful about it. In the past if you had things to laminate, but didn't need right away you could leave them in the workroom. If there were aids that had the time, they would laminate whatever was in there. They don't do that anymore though. :(

31. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2005

the 1st time I used the laminator I let it roll back on itself. I was sure I'd ruined it! haha! But the secretary was really nice and fixed it for me, and now I'm reaaaallllly careful ;)

32. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Aug 5, 2005

I have unlimited access to the laminator. The copier is another sad story- we have 400 copies a month- with at least 20 kids in our classes. We get seven packs of paper at the beginning of the year and that's it! If you want to make more copies then you would have to go to the teacher resource center and make them 1 cent if you bring your paper or 3 cents if you use the centers paper. My husband works at a major trucking company and make copies for me there if I run out- I rarely ever do.

33. liz

liz Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

Yes, unlimited lamination. The best thing is that I just drop it off and it gets delivered back to me......what a life!
    This principal also gives us a box of copy paper each marking period and we also have unlimited copying!!!!

34. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

We have two laminators at my school. One in the office, where you just leave your stuff and the secretaries laminate it for you. The only down side is that they don't laminate on a regular basis, only when they have time or there's a lot to laminate. We also have a laminator in our teacher resource room. Our aids used to laminate for us, but they were let go at the end of last school year due to funding issues. We can laminate as much as we want. We don't have a limit on copies either, but we have one secretary that is always complaining about how much paper we use. We only have one copier and we can only make 50 copies of each thing we are copying on it. If we have to make over 50 copies then the secretary does it on this other machine. (I have no idea what it's called.) :)

35. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Aug 6, 2005

yes, our school provides an unlimited amount...(i think). :)