Polka Dot Theme

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsHoot, Jul 19, 2009.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 19, 2009

I am doing a polka dot theme in my classroom. So far I've created bulletin boards with some polka dot fabric and gotten polka dot border from Michaels. I would really like polka dot nameplates, has anyone seen them anywhere?!

Also feel free to post any polka dot ideas. =) I did paint a chair pink and am in the process of painting white polka dots all over it.

3. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2009

Have you looked for poka dot items at The School Box. They also have a website if there isn't one near you. I have paper for my welcome back letters that has a black border with multi-colored pokadots. I had the same design on a record book last year. I'm sure that I've seen name plates with the same design or at least something very similar.

As for names and ideas, I've seen cute thinks like "Look who's been spotted in the ____ grade!" You could also do name tags that are dots cut out on the diecast cutter.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

Do you have a CVS Pharmacy by you? In their ad today for clearance summer stuff they had some cute poka dot containers.

5. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 19, 2009

Ooo thanks for the tips! We do have a cvs here, i'll have to check it out!

6. blissgal

blissgal New Member

Jul 19, 2009

We have Holcombs Know Place here in NE Ohio. I was just at the store today and they have a fun new line with polka dots.

7. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 19, 2009

I just bought circle placemats on clearance at WalMart ($1.50 each). They are woven. I bought red to go with my ladybug classroom, but it would work for dots too!

I'm thinking of using it to spotlight student work, or general decorations.

8. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 19, 2009

My latest School Box ad had tons of polka dot stuff. Decorations, name tags, file folders, b. board trimmer, and plastic book storage bags were all in the ad.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 20, 2009

What a great theme!! Not to over the top, and lots of applications.

10. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

I'm doing polka dots too! So far I've made new curtains, black valances with big white polks dots (I painted the dots) and then solid aqua curtains hangin down. I also got some black & white polka dot wrapping paper at walmart to cover a bulletin board with. And I recovered a lamp shade with black & white dotted fabric and painted a little b. board with dots. I also plan on doing the Who's been spotted in 1st grade b. board in the hallway. I'll take pictures when it's more complete.

11. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 20, 2009

I have never thought of a polka dot theme... but I love that idea! I have polka dots shirts, shoes, purses, pens, everything. I should remember it for my classroom. Half of my wardrobe would probably match your theme. I'd fit right in! I hope you can post pictures when its finished!

12. I<3kiddos

I<3kiddos Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

Polka Dots

I had a polka dot theme last year, and Lakeshore had tons of polka dot name plates.

13. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

What a fun idea! I've walked past those before and never even thought to use them for something... Thanks!

14. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

Another great solution, thanks!

Thanks everyone for all of your input and ideas! A friend texted me today because she was at Holcombs and found the polka dot line. =)

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

I bought that polka dot line (the black with the dots). I bought the letters, boarder, name tags (using it for my job chart), paper, and name plates.

16. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

picture

My room isn't near ready for pictures yet, but here's a little polka dot project I worked on at home this weekend. I had this little shelf painted white, but too many grubby handprints! So I spray painted the outside glossy black and I used bright aqua craft paint for the inside. Then I lined the back with my polka dotted wrapping paper. I think it turned out so cute. There is a shelf that goes in the middle that I also painted black, just forgot to put in for the picture. I'm using these colors throughout my room.
    I've never posted a pic- hope this works!
    [​IMG]

17. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

18. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jul 21, 2009

That is adorable.....wonderful idea that could be used with any theme! Thanks!

19. buggy mom

buggy mom Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

How often do themes in classrooms usually change? Is it a a year round thing? I am not a teacher yet but going to school to become one and am very nervous.

20. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2009

I modify or change my theme every year or so. I think to start things fresh (especially if the year before was a rough one student wise).

21. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Thanks mrsleapfrog!

I have never really had a theme and I'm not going all out with polka dots, but I needed a new hallway b.board and it's been 5 years since I changed curtains so I figured I'd do those dotted and then I'm adding a few more little things like that shelf. Mostly I'm trying to unify my room with the colors black, white, and aqua.

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 21, 2009

A polka-dot theme! I love it! I now know my theme for the year.

23. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2009

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2009

You may even be able to pick up some polka-dot pillows at Ross Dress for Less- there are some REALLY neat pillows right now. :)

25. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2009

I do not change my theme year-round- I just design it very nicely and add to the theme I've had- I would never paint a city sign for JASZTALVILLE and use the sign for only one year. That would be a waste of time and effort. Additionally, if I purchase any travel-related decorations, I want to be able to use them again and again. I just lay out the classroom differently.

26. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

I am on board for the polka dot theme

27. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 22, 2009

Another point about keeping themes for a while: you can spread purchases out over time so that helps your budget.

I am starting year 3 for ladybugs. Each year I try to add something new. Last year I bought red and black accessories (book bins, organization items, etc). Most of my theme is decorative. I had a collection of ladybug items from my camp counselor days, just sitting in a box in the basement. Now I get to spend the whole school year with my memories & the kids get a fun classroom! I'll be keeping it for a very long time.

28. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

I was just at CVS last night. They had some really cute polka dot items in the summer mark down section. Pottery & plastic...might have a use in someone's classroom.

29. jillybean

jillybean Comrade