Polka Dot Theme

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by EiffelTower, Jun 17, 2010.

1. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 17, 2010

I am changing from a Hollywood theme to a polka dot theme this upcoming year. I have polka dot borders, but that's as far as I've gotten. Does anyone have any suggestions as to ways I can incorporate this theme into my classroom? Thank you!

3. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jun 17, 2010

Found all these on Yahoo.com:

This is a website to order stuff from, but it could give you some ideas. http://www.teachersclubhouse.com/polkadots.htm

Bulletin Board Ideas:
    -"Look Who Has Been Spotted in ____ Grade"
    -"____ Grade is the Spot for a Great Year"

Behavior Chart:
    -"_____ has been spotted having good behavior"
    -"Get spotted doing the right thing"

You could use the candy "DOTS" to do a welcome back exercise. The students could open their boxes and respond to a series of questions relating to color. For example, if they have a red one, the student has to reveal his/her favorite color. Green = how many pets? Etc....They sell the big bag of individual sized boxes at Wal-Mart, like you would hand out at Halloween. You could also buy a box and divide them into sandwich baggies.

4. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 17, 2010

Wow ... thanks, flowerpower! Those are some great ways for me to incorporate the theme into my classroom. :)

5. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jun 17, 2010

I did polka dots this past year...I loved it! For the beginning of the year name tags, I took white sentence strips, wrote their names on, and then used BINGO daubers to make polka dots on them. I loved the ones that went along with the other "stuff" I bought that was polka dots, but couldn't bring myself to buy them! I also bought big foam circles from WalMart to use as name tags for their coat hooks. I'll look for some pictures for you! and search around on here in the archives, there were a ton of people that did polkdots for this school year!

6. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jun 17, 2010

I also did polka dots this year. I recovered a plain lampshade with polka dot fabric, made some simple curtains with polka dots, painted a bulletin board with dots, and did the "Look who's been spotted" bulletin board. I also stuck mostly with the colors black, white, and aqua. I love polka dots!

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 17, 2010

I made curtains using twin bed sheets and the round sponge brushes that you use for stenciling. I just picked out the size of sponge brush, and acryllic paints and went to work. I put the sheet out on my kitchen floor and dotted away. I got so many compliments on these and I still love them!!!

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010

Add me to the polka dot list... it is pretty abstract though. I don't do a lot with it.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2010

That's a great idea!

10. Couldntbhappier

Couldntbhappier Rookie

Jun 18, 2010

I use polka dots!

Things I do that haven't been mentioned yet...

- "A good book hits the spot!" - Reading corner
    - "Spotlight Work"

My communication folders are "D.O.T. Notebooks" (Daily Organizational Tool)

11. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 18, 2010

I did polka dots last year and am keeping with them but adding owls to the mix too. (Sounds weird, but it's looking pretty cute so far!)

I made crate chairs. I asked for milk crates on Craigslist or Freecycle. I then made polka dot cushions for them and lined them against one wall.

I did a job board-- Hired on the Spot. I did one polka dot bulletin board and then did a lighter solid color on the two net to it, so it wouldn't be too busy. They have a lot of great polka dot fabric at Jo Anns, that you can use for a lot of things.

12. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jun 18, 2010

remember the dot candy that come on a sheet of paper? I forget what they are called though...

some jobs could be:
    weather spotter
    dotted line leader
    current events spotter
    attendence spotter
    news spotter

star of the week could be called my turn to be in the hot spot!

you could use those round labeling colored stickers

13. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

Not sure how you can use these, but maybe somebody can springboard off these:

X marks the "Spot"
    Sign on the "Dot"ted Line
    Cross Your Ts and "Dot" Your Is
    That's the "Spot"
    "Spot"light on ______
    Circle Circle Dot Dot, These Books Are Really Hot
    "Spot" On

How about a Welcome Board with their photos or names on colorful circles and the title, "New 'Round' Here!"

Maybe you could incorporate cows or ladybugs into your theme since both have spots.

Have fun with it.

14. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 20, 2010

Wow! I am impressed with everyone's ideas! Thanks!

15. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jun 20, 2010

star of the week could be called my turn in the spotlight or spotlight on or being the hot spot

at the door you could have individual polk dots to form a dotted line for them to line up on, and they could stand on the dotted line!

16. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 20, 2010

I love the dotted line idea! Maybe I will use dots for our meeting spots. =) Sit on a dot, at the meeting spot! How would I do that on carpet?? Or maybe I could have carpet dots.

Also-- I got a small polka dot rug at Hobby Lobby on clearance yesterday for 8 dollars!

17. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 21, 2010

MrsHoot: I like the idea of having the kids sit on a dot during a class meeting/lesson. I'll have to look into seeing how I can get that to work.

18. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jun 21, 2010

in fact each kid could have their own assigned dot! It could switch daily or stay the same all year/ or switch every so often! You could have a pocket chart with cards that showed different colored dots next to the child's name/picture and the child sits on that dot. This may help reduce behavior problems, since you can sit certain kids away from each other.

you could also take a white stool and paint polka dots on it for a chair for the teacher to sit in or the star of the week.

http://www.cmresourceco.com/Lots_of_Dots_Rug_p/joy-1430.htm here is a dotted rug for classrooms but it is pricey.

You could see if freecycle has any polka dotted items avaliable, you may even be able to get a white rocking chair/stool to paint polka dots on it, a bookshelf that you can paint polka dots on, polka dot fabric, a lamp that you can paint polka dots on etc.

Also you could make giant floor pillows for the reading corner either in circles or using polka dotted fabric or both. You could make covers for your book cases that you don't want the kids to use or storage areas using polka dotted fabric and velcro.

19. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jun 22, 2010

Well goodness...just reading this thread makes me want to do a polka dot theme too! I told myself to "chill out" with all the themes I have done because I keep accumulating all this stuff but I don't think I can resist the polka dot theme. I love polka dots!!

Question about the milkcrate chairs....Can you post a picture of that?? It sounds like something I would like to do but I am visual person so I need a picture.

20. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2010

I mentioned this on a room decorating thread, but I'll repeat it cuz I like it...:p
    Get some wooden rounds( from craft or lumber store--used in trivits or clocks) and paint them what ever color you like. Then get some cork board that you can cut to fit...just a little smaller than the wooden rounds.

You adhere the cork board and you can have multi sized polka dot bulletin boards.

21. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jun 23, 2010

SUPER CUTE!!! I love it! The DIY in me loves it!

22. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2010

or...OOOO, pie tins....you could paint them and they could be magentic!!!

and my daughter bought polka dot mirrors wall decore at Kohl's.

23. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

24. cmw

cmw Groupie

25. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jun 26, 2010

Just a polka dot tip I used a few months ago. I had to paint a picture frame with tiny polka dots on it. I painted the whole thing one color then applied those stickers that protect binder holes in paper(does that even make sense?) and painted the polka dot color into the hole on the sticker. Perfectly round polka dots!!