Politically Correct?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ms_chandler, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForaPhi

ForaPhi Rookie

Dec 5, 2006

You know, a simple litmus test might be to ask yourself the following.

If I send cards saying Merry Christmas am I sending a message inclusive for those who don't celebrate Christmas? No

If I send cards saying Happy Holidays am I sending a message inclusive for those wo do celebrate Christmas? Yes

The former excludes every non-christian and even some christians. The latter includes everyone during the holiday season regardless of traditional origins or cultural differences. If your goal is to truly reach out and send a message of happiness and cheer, why not choose the option that is most inclusive and if you want to promote a spirit of togetherness, why not choose the option that recognizes differences in cultural interpretation of the holiday season and illustrates a respect for those differences? Choosing the option to send the cards that specifically highlight your personal beliefs would seem to me to be sent less in a spirit of comraderie and more an assertive statement, or a spirit of defiance. After all, "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" includes those who do celebrate Christmas. So the only sacrifice you are making in choosing a more general greeting is that you are not allowing the imposition of your specific belief to overshadow an underlying genuine expression of love, togetherness, and hope.

2. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2006

How on Earth is that possible that it excludes some Christians? What do you think the meaning of Christmas is to Christians? Santa?

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 5, 2006

There are some Christians that do not celebrate Christmas. I believe someone stated earlier that a church that he/she used to belong to didn't celebrate any December hoildays because they were considered to be pagan holidays.

4. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Dec 5, 2006

In my opinion, it's not harmless when it makes someone feel alienated, especially someone weaker and less experienced.

This time it was me. What if it was a child instead?

Someone asked me why I don't calmly answer, "Thank you, but I don't practice that religion." I wish I did. That would be grand. It would be so brave of me to do that.

But some people here -- certainly not a majority, but still enough to constitute a large portion of the PTA -- still think witches brew magic potions to turn people into toads. On my first year, still on shaky ground, I'm just not brave enough to look these people in the eye and say, "I'm a witch."

And my kids? I don't want them to know my religion. It's very private; not every religion is about "spreading the word." Mine is personal, and I don't want to answer questions about it, especially not from my little guys, who are just struggling to figure out what they themselves believe.

So my answer is, no, I wouldn't send home a card with any specific religion on it, be it Christmas or Solstice or whatever that cool tree thing was. It might make a parent -- or, worse, a child -- feel shaky and uncertain just like it did me.

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2006

Beth, the ones who do not, usually do not fall under the traditional Christian denominations. I've never heard of any traditional Christian church not celebrating Christmas. I still think the statement was just a little absurd, IMHO.:)

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 5, 2006

Ok, this is going to be my last post on this thead. I feel like we're all just beating a dead horse. Here is the way I see it, though:

Whether or not we think people who don't celebrate should or shouldn't get upset over a Christmas card is irrelevant. The fact is, people DO get upset (whether justified or not). I, personally, as a teacher do not want to ruffle anyone's feathers and therefore would rather be safe than sorry and not send cards with "Merry Christmas" on them.

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2006

You took the words right out of my mouth! :D :p I believe this is a subject that people need to agree to disagree on. For some of us it goes a little more deeper than "just a card" (and I understand that goes both ways) and I think everything that should be said has already been said. That's why I'm not piping up as much.:D

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2006

Dead AND buried!!!!!!!!!!:p :p
    And, I think we've lost ms_chandler!!!!!

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2006

LOL! I think we lost her after page 1! :D Poor girl. We probably made her more confused.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 5, 2006

I'm closing this thread, as several of you have stated, I think we have covered this topic thoroughly.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 5, 2006

Yeah, but ..... ForaPhi posed the question wy not just send generic greeting cards. There is an answer to that, one which many people feel very strongly about. Christians who believe that Christmas is holy, don't want to celebrate the secularization of it.

That's why I think it is fine if you give a Christmas card to someone who you know celebrates Christmas, but not to someone who you know doesn't. If you don't know the person well enough to know their beliefs, then maybe you shouldn't send them a card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.