Polar Express Pajama Party

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Kathy9, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Kathy9

Kathy9 Rookie

Dec 18, 2007

Anyone have any ideas on a Polar Express Pajama Party? We are planning on reading the book, watching the movie, and drinking hot chocolate. Any other ideas?

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

4. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Dec 19, 2007

not sure what those links say but at my school the kids walk through the halls calling out merry christmas and ringing bells. They love it

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2007

Last year, when I taught kinder, I had the librarian read the book to my class. While she read the book, I quickly snuck out and put bells into their cubbies.

I also found a website that had Polar Express Tickets. So, as they entered the library, they had to give the ticket to the conductor and get it punched with one of these hole punchers with different designs (not sure how to explain it better, there are star hole punches, flowers, etc. I used the star one, I think).

6. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 20, 2007

You could also play the conductor says. Like simon says only instead of simon, use conductor.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Dec 20, 2007

I just found out that kindergarten this year is going to do the Polar Express Day too. This is the second year we are doing it in first grade. So next year it will be old news. Ugh! This is a whole new thread. But how do things work at your school with certain grade levels doing certain units? It's frustrating when kindergarten does all the fun stuff!

8. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Dec 20, 2007

I taught kinder last year and had my students come to school in their PJs. I lined up their chairs to look like a train and read them the story while they sipped hot chocolate. Then, we made candy trains. It was tons of fun!

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2007

Every grade level does something with the book and the movie. My fifth graders would have had a fit if they hadn't joined in. It won't take anything away from "Polar Express Day" if they've done something with the book/movie previously. Enjoy the movie and the planning, and have a cup of hot chocolate and dress in pajamas yourself. Then go with your teacher friends out to dinner in your pajamas! Lots of laughs and stares!