Polar Express help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by firstgradeteach, Dec 1, 2008.

1. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Dec 1, 2008

I think that I have researched so many hours for three years about Polar express activities. I also have posted on here before for ideas. I could really use some kind of twist or an idea of activities to do with the book Polar Express.

We rotate between 8 teachers for only 15 minute sessions doing activities dealing iwth the Polar Express.

-Reading the book
    -Some kind of word bingo
    -coloring sheet
    -craft (This has been mine for 3 years and I hate it! A lot of preparation ahead of time for 200 students since we only have 15 minutes)
    -snack
    -insta-snow
    -?
    -?
    -?

Any ideas?!?!?! Please help! I get really stressed this time of year every year. I would rather have two books than just the Polar Express but I don't think they will go for it.:confused:

3. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Dec 1, 2008

SO far I think that I am going to enlarge two songs about trains. We will sing each one with motions. We might do quick math story problems in between each song so that they can get up and move around.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2008

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

6. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Dec 2, 2008

When I student taught, the whole 3rd grade lined up their chairs in the hallway to make a "train" and listened to the story on tape while a couple teachers held up books. They also got to wear their PJs (they changed at recess time - didn't wear it all day) and made jingle bell bracelets to wear. Then they proceeded to the cafe for a snack. It went pretty smoothly and a little less hectic than switching every 15 minutes.

7. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Dec 2, 2008

We are going to do this. We are going to wear PJs and watch the movie in the afternoon. I am very excited.

8. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

Dec 2, 2008

I have a glyph that is a train that we do. We also make "Reindeer Food" that is just some dry oatmeal and glitter then there is a little reindeer coloring sheet that the color and staple to the baggy with the food in it.

9. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Dec 2, 2008

Thank you so much! I am definitely going to look into either the reindeer food or design a ticket! This way it isn't a big glooey mess because we don't need glue! YAY! If we have time left over we can sing the songs that I found. Thanks for the fast and easy ideas!

10. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Dec 2, 2008

I wish we didn't rotate every 15 minutes! :) I am the newest teacher (my 3rd year) and I don't get much of a say since they have been doing this for years. You day does sound really simple and smooth! I am a little bit jealous!

I like seeing all of the other students but with very little time makes it a headache.

11. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Dec 2, 2008

When we do Polar Express, I have a ticket already printed out and they only have to put their name on it. You could create a partially finished ticket and have them decorate it and add some glitter or something that sparkles.

I've also made reindeer food mostly made of oatmeal. We put it in brown lunchbags (directions included) with our hands traced on brown construction paper then stapled on when you close the bag for antlers. The first year I put glitter in the reindeer food but then read on the Internet that if you put it "Out for the reindeer" that the glitter could hurt the wild animals if they ate it. The next year, I put red & green ice cream sprinkles in it. It doesn't look as sparkly... but I slept better.

I also read another thread that said they have bells "delivered" from the North Pole. Someone in the office takes the package out of the freezer and brings them to the room. The bells are still ice cold. I can't wait to try it this year....