Polar Express Day

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Sheila, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Nov 18, 2008

I really want to do a Polar Express Day this year. You know, where the kids come to school in their jammies and we watch the movie and have hot chocolate? Does anyone have any good ideas to help celebrate the day? I do know I want to make the bell.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2008

They actually have Polar Express Hot Chocolate at Sam's Club... it's really good!!! It's hot chocolate with little candy cane pieces in it!!!

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 18, 2008

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Nov 20, 2008

I just bought the DVD in 2 & 3-D! It came with 4 pair of 3-D glasses. Anyone know where to get more glasses? I'd like to have enough for the class to watch in 3-D together.

We usually have PJ day, watch the movie, have popcorn & hot chocolate. Each child is given a "ticket", which is punched as they "board the train". We set chairs up as if on a train. The children start out sitting in the chairs for the movie but some venture to the floor at some point (their "sleeper car"). Each child receives a bell. They can be tied/taped to the underneath of the chairs in advance.
    Some of these ideas I found on AtoZ, a few from others, etc. Thank you to those that have shared!!!

6. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Nov 21, 2008

We did a great Polar Express last year. We put a bunch of bells in a box and wrapped it. Then we stuck the box in the freezer overnight. After watching the movie, the office took the box out and delivered the box to my room saying there had been a special delivery. After unwrapping the box, all of the kids bells were ice cold, and they thought they really came from the North Pole! It was adorable!

7. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Nov 23, 2008

Good Ideas everyone! I really like the one about the cold bells! I am going to be doing my planning all during Thanksgiving break and will post more ideas as I find them.

8. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 23, 2008

We've done the Polar Express for the past 2 years and used a few of the idea on SpecialPreskoo's link.

We also froze the bells last year and had the office deliver! The kids loved it.

I saw some big bronze colored bells at the 99 Cent store last week.
    This post reminded me to stop by and pick them up today!

9. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 23, 2008

jlj- Our science teacher had the 6th graders make 3-D glasses. Do you want me to ask how?

10. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Nov 23, 2008

I've done Polar Express Day for 2 years. I have "tickets" I've made on the computer and printed out for each child. I put the chairs in my classroom in a "theater" arrangement and call them train seats. When the child gives me their ticket, they can choose a seat. I have intermission and we drink hot chocolate(well, not TOO hot). We also eat reindeer sandwiches with it. (one slice of brown bread cut diagonally,
    peanut butter on one side (watch allergies),
    put triangle sandwich together.
    Take 2 curly pretzels on the long side for antlers,
    2 brown M&M's for eyes and
    1 red M&M for a nose on the bottom tip)

I've also had bells on ribbons for the kids, but I will definately put them in the freezer from now on. What a GREAT IDEA!!

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 23, 2008

I LOVE the reindeer sandwich idea! That's one for this year.