Polar Express? Appropriate?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by corps2005, Dec 12, 2006.

1. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Dec 12, 2006

It's that time of year :) And we certainly don't want to offend anyone. I have not seen this movie, but I was going to show the Polar Express during our celebration next week. Is this religious based? I have a child who is Jehovah's Witness, so I'm looking for winter type movies that are not based on Christmas.

I don't have children of my own, so I am not familiar with these movies. We only watch educational movies in the classroom :p

Any suggestions for winter movies that won't offend other religions?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 12, 2006

It's only "Christmas" in the sense that it takes place on Christmas Eve, and they visit Santa at the North Pole.

It's "secular Christmas," but NOT "Religous Christmas."

It's basically an extended version of the Chris Van Allsburg book... get your hands on a copy of that and you'll have a pretty good idea about the movie.

4. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Dec 13, 2006

I took my Kinder class to see it on the IMAX when it came out. They adored it. It is Santa, not Christ.

Kelly :)

5. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 13, 2006

I would ask the parents of the child if they mind. To me its all about believing in Santa. (and all things you can't always see to believe). It isn't religious though. It does touch on a lot of good values, friendship, leadership, trust, humility.

6. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2006

Our entire school is watching it next week. Our principal is great..he is putting all the kids in the gym (from the entire school) and showing them the movie. The teachers are able to stay in our rooms and take down all the holiday decorations and get our room back together after this crazy month. He does this every year and we love it!:) :) :)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 13, 2006

What a great principal!!

8. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Dec 14, 2006

Try the movie "the Snowman" - it is less about Christmas than the Polar Express, although the boy in the story has a Christmas Tree, and they do fly to the north pole. It is more a story about a snowman who comes to life. Very good... has no speaking in it at all. I love that movie!

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2006

George Winston did the music for the snowman! It is beautiful!:love: I love that movie, too! :)

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2006

Our kindergarten and grade 1 classes have all watched "The Snowman" this past week.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 14, 2006

Love THE SNOWMAN... my preschoolers watched it TWICE in one day and most don't have an attention span bigger than a fly... lol but they LOVE the SNOWMAN!!!

12. kburen

kburen Cohort

Dec 15, 2006

I'm showing my class the polar express next week during our Christmas party. I'm double checking with principal first, but know it won't be a problem since they saw it last year too!

13. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Dec 15, 2006

I know I've been around the playground too long.......but I think it's a shame anyone even has to post something like this. I'm tired of so many thin-skinned, overly-sensitive, p.c. types getting offended if something even mentions ANYTHING regarding religion (especially, it seems, if that religion is Christianity). Why is it we're all supposed to be so open to new experiences and be willing to learn new things.......unless, of course, the term "Christ" is in there......then it's verboten. I love my Jewish friends, my Muslim friends, my Buddhist friends, my agnostic friends.....and Merry Christmas to all of them (and all of you, too)!

14. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Dec 18, 2006

Hmmm, the Snowman? Do you think I can find that at Blockbuster?

15. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2006

A parent just gave me The Snowman video and book today as a Christmas gift. Corps2005 if you lived closer I would let you use my copy:D

16. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Dec 21, 2006

Amen, Music Doc! I spent 2 weeks teaching why people celebrate Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, but can't teach why we celebrate Christmas? To a class full of students who celebrate it but have no idea what the others are? I wouldn't agree with teaching ONLY Christmas, but I think we should be able to give it the same treatment as the others without being attacked for it. It really is getting ridiculous, I think that people need to start to loosen up a little bit!! Merry Christmas to you!

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

Ditto for me too!

18. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2006

i am not teaching yet but wy cant you teach christmas if you teach all the other ways to celebrate the holidays? Is there a rule saying you cant or is it just inappropriate to teach that aspect of christmas ......???

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 22, 2006

I've been saying the EXACT same thing around our school all week. In fact, I went out of my way to compliment the cafeteria for actually putting a few shadow cutouts of the nativity scenes mixed in with all the other religious holiday stuff. It isn't that noticeable because I had to specifically point it out to a coworker when I told her about it.

20. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Dec 22, 2006

The only thing that really bothered me was when I had to take a stuffed teddy bear away from a little girl in my class on the last day of school. See, a church came in and handed out unwrapped gifts to all the students as part of Xmas.

The little girl had been carrying the bear around with her all day since that moment. Well, it didn't occur to me to call her Mom earlier to make sure she could have the bear, (J.witness). I wish I had thought of that right as they were handing out the gifts. In the end I called the Mom. Needless to say, she couldn't have the gift and I had ot take it away from her. You could see the sadness and tears welling up, and then she put on a brave face and nodded her head.

I should have sent her home with it and let her mother take it away. I'll have to try to remember this for next year. I don't have much experience with these types of things...

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2006

corps, couldn't you keep the bear in your classroom so this little girl can visit it everyday? It could be your classroom bear, and this little one can be the one who "takes care" of it for the class.

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2006

That's what would do for now. Let her keep the bear at school.

23. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Dec 22, 2006

hmmm that's an idea. I was also going to try to reason with the mom when school starts back b/c the bear doesn't look like a christmas item. It's dressed in winter clothes. I was going to see if I could "regive" it to the girl to reward her for all the hard work she has done in class. If she doesn't go for it though, then I'll just keep it in the classroom for her. :)

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 23, 2006

While I think that we should teach all religion holidays equally (and superficially), having a church come to a class (unless it was a Christian school or an orphanage) to give out gifts is a little strange. Having them donate gifts to the school's reward program etc without being known they were from a Church would probably be more appropriate. Sad that we have to get into all the PC of giving.

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 23, 2006

My heart goes out to that little girl. Do the parents allow rewards to be given at all?

My friend's ex-husband was raised JH. He thought the star was a sign of the devil. He actually thought this right up to about two weeks ago. When he finally got the courage to go into a Christian book store with the star above the door. Than realized it was a Christian book store. He told my friend about it. She said she couldn't help laughing about it.
    As an adult he decided to become Christian but still has some of the JH teaching lingering around.

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2006

The JW teachings are so ingrained into you that it usually takes about 10 years to shake it and realize it's o.k. to think differently.
    JW do not have problems with children getting rewards for work well done. It is only a problem if the gift is associated with a holiday or birthday.
    If I were you Corps, I would not bring the subject up again. Just keep the bear at school and give it to her at the end of the year if she is still attached to it. She may have no interest in it by the end of the school year. Sometimes it is the adults who are most upset by these things. Play it down and forget about it for now. She'll be fine without the bear.