Poke-mon Go

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rabbitt, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2016

My son wanted to play so I said he could but I have to go along.
    What a BLAST out walking and laughing together.
    I can see where the distractions can cause mugging and other dangers, but in general I think it's more than fine.
    Anyone else have positive or negative experiences?

3. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Jul 18, 2016

My husband and I are LOVING it! Maybe because we grew up with Pokemon.

The only negative thing I've seen about it (ooooh it enrages me) is the 15 year old girl and her mother blaming the game for her getting hit by a car. "The game told her to cross the highway!!" I couldn't believe it.

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2016

I watched as 4 teen girls almost had themselves take out by a vehicle in a road side rest on the high way. They were so busy looking at their phones that none bothered to look for cars coming off of the road. Not paying attention is nothing new for people with cell phones, but these girls were on a mission and were in deep concentration getting to their reward.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2016

That is a problem.

6. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jul 18, 2016

Natural selection...

mathmagic and czacza like this.
  7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2016

I started playing because my hubby and baby brother were. But we are having so much fun together. Sometimes it can be hard to really hang out with my brother because he's so much younger, so I'm really enjoying having something to do together

phillyteacher and DizneeTeachR like this.
  8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2016

:eek:;)

9. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jul 19, 2016

My husband has been following the news about this game like a crazy person. He's a police officer though, so he has had to deal with a lot of public nuisance and trespassing issues because of the game. Every day he rants about something, lol. I haven't played it but am glad you had fun! :)

10. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2016

A colleague from the English dept was explaining to the rest of us about it yesterday. He seemed to believe that the rest of us gave a ****!

11. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 19, 2016

Pokemon Go is fun.

People need to use their eyeballs and not do stupid things, though.

phillyteacher likes this.
  12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 19, 2016

That about sums it up LOL

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2016

This is how I see it. The game itself isn't the issue.

mathmagic likes this.
  14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2016

Not my cup of tea, but I've heard (through articles and also some friends on Facebook) it's got people out more, I've seen more using park systems now, more people biking/walking/exercising, and makes for some fun people-watching on the other end :) Yes, there's downsides too, but isn't there with anything? Plenty of people would just be texting while walking, anyways, if they were even out and about. Just with everything else, there's a balance, and it's up to the user to find that balance!

15. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 19, 2016

I caught the one that was in my yard, but other than that, it is still too freaking hot to venture outside just for an app.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 19, 2016

A co-worker of mine took her son to one of the state parks around here and played the game for a bit. A woman went up to her and told her that she should put the technology away and pay attention to the park (there's nothing really there except plants and some walking paths). I don't have an issue with people playing in parks as long as they are minding their own business and not getting in peoples' way. This woman was just grumpy I guess!

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 19, 2016

My husband caught one in our kitchen LOL It was kind of funny to see it on his phone sitting right near the stove!

DizneeTeachR likes this.
  18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 19, 2016

It's OK if the players have their wits about them, are alert, have common sense, & all that good stuff. If they don't....I don't know.

19. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2016

Personally, I don't understand the appeal. Pokémon was very popular with my generation when we were little and I never got into it then either. I think a lot of my friends like it for the nostalgic factor. I downloaded it at the urging of friends and collected some, but I just don't understand the point of trying to collect more? Just to say you did I guess? I had a friend from my hometown visiting me this week and she had that app out trying to collect pokemon everywhere we went and then kept whining about running out of the poke balls. I found it to be pretty annoying as someone who wasn't playing.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 20, 2016

Common sense isn't a flower that grows in everybody's garden apparently!

Ms. I likes this.
  21. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2016

She is probably not grumpy. She is probably tired of two things. First, she is tired of people not being aware of the natural world they live in and the diversity and beauty in that world. Chasing cyber-poke-mon's in the forest is a very odd way to get back to nature. Second, she is probably tired of being in a society where everyone is isolated and minds their own business. It is my feeling that one of the reason our society is struggling is that we have become too self-centered and too sensitive to other's viewpoints. In the past people watched out for others or interjected their viewpoints. Now we insulate ourselves to hear only what we want to hear which does not lead to being good at considering other options, ideas, and viewpoints. Sure some people step over the line, but our societal line has become so removed from us that we don't like anyone saying anything to us about anything.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 20, 2016

My DH was a Pokemon fan from way back, so he's excited. I never did know anything about them, but I gave the app a chance. We have had fun with it.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 26, 2016

So people shouldn't be offended if I tell them how they should raise their child and that they should start providing for their child so society doesn't have to?

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 26, 2016

I don't think you have to know too much about the game for it to be fun. I don't have time to play right now but it seems like something my nephew would like so I might take him out at some point.

25. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 27, 2016

I have no problem with people doing this... (I happen to not.) But I will say that it is a bad look, I kind of agree with that woman there. However, when I do see people doing it, they (i.e. kids) do seem to engage with one another as they find whatever it is they're looking for.

I don't like when people shame others for liking something like this (i.e. adults shaming others for liking it).

26. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 27, 2016

I did not like Pokemon as a kid, but I do like this game.
    We don't go out and about looking for them, but if we are out in public somewhere (not driving), we will open the app to see what's around.
    We have in-service training all week and today I happened to be in a building that was a gym and near several pokestops.
    I did occasionally open it to get more pokeballs.. :D

27. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 27, 2016

I don't play it but my 14 year old daughter does. In the past week it's gotten us to go out twice for evening walks/Pokemon hunting. I am sure we would not have gone out without that app. She also plays with a neighborhood friend and they were out and about for over an hour. Again, would normally not have happened in this 90 degree weather we're having. When we put it on her phone we made sure to have several conversations with her reminding her to pay attention and not be an idiot! I have no interest in putting it on my phone but am totally fine with my daughter having it on hers.

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2016

We don't have it on our phones... I joked with hubby we should've put it on our phone when we were out & about over the weekend. Lol. I know some people going out if state I said you should put it on your phone. Lol