points or weighted grades?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachertime, Aug 10, 2009.

1. teachertime

teachertime Companion

Aug 10, 2009

In the past, I've used weighted grading for my records, but I'm now considering doing the points this year. Any thoughts on which is a better system?

3. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I use a combination of both. My department requires a weighted 40% for classwork, 40% for tests, 20% for final exam. Within those categories I'll use total points, so that I can determine the value of one assignment versus another (200 for an essay versus 50 for a vocab review sheet).

4. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

I am also interested in calculating grades with total points.... if anyone has a "blurb" that I can borrow that explains total points to students and parents I would really appreciate that.

Thanks

dbelmo

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

There are three different systems I have used for grading.

1) Straight points. Every assignment is worth a point value. Grades are calculated by doing points earned/total X 100.

2) Weighted Catergories. Every assignment is assigned a percentage grade out of 100 points and is put into a weighted category.

3) Total points within weighted categories. Assignment grades are recorded as points earned/total in weighted categories. Grades are determined by doing points earned/total within each category, multiplying by the weight, and the adding everything up.

For the past few years I have been back and forth between system 2 and 3. Honestly, I have notice no huge differences in doing straight percentages within weighted averages or total points within each category. So I say do whatever you are comfortable with.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

This is what I've experienced as well. They almost always seem to even out, regardless of the system used.

Just make sure that whatever weights/points you assign to particular assignments actually correspond to that assignment's importance in your class. Like, don't make a major test worth 20% or 20 points and a random cloze activity worth 50% or 50 points. You know what I mean?

7. allangering

allangering New Member

Aug 18, 2009

Point values of an item were changed after grades had been calculated, which causes the letter grades to be incorrect. Grades automatically change based on the new point value.
    The automatic adjustment seems to be an issue when the point value is increased, but lowering the value could also result in unreliable grades.The GPA is an internationally-recognized measure for establishing equivalence across different grading systems. The internationalization of tertiary education is now such that a GPA is an essential tool with which students can apply for educational and employment opportunities worldwide. Many local graduates who apply for work with international organizations require their GPA. The GPA is the average result of all grades achieved by a student in a course of study, weighted by the credit point value of each unit.