Pointers for passing Praxis 1 Math in GA

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by bnewsome, Jul 12, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

Best of luck, bckilinn27, and breathe, please.

2. bckilinn27

bckilinn27 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

Lol...I will breathe, I promise. Thanks for the help!

3. bckilinn27

bckilinn27 Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

I am back...don't think I did so well on the test - I couldn't sleep last night!! I went in and layed down at 9:45pm and was up til 2am and test was at 7:30am. I won't know for 30 days - I truly hope I did well - but i'm not counting on it. Thanks for the help though!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 26, 2008

Well, let's hope for the best. Keep us posted, please.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

There are an infinite number of right triangles with hypotenuse equal to the square root of a given integer. If the question gives you pairs of values for side a and side b as answers, then the answer that makes the integer=a^2 + b^2 true is correct (^ is programmerese for raised to the power of).

FWIW IIWY I would check the agreement I entered into when signing up for the test to see if disclosing actual test questions is prohibited. I bet it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2008
  6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2008

Thanks for fielding this, Malcolm.

The last time I looked around the Praxis Web site, there was indeed a nondisclosure clause in the application to take the test. bckilinn, please don't post actual test questions. Test companies look on that dimly, and they can and will revoke test scores if they catch you, not to mention making trouble for the owner of the site on which the questions appear.

It is, however, fair game to note that certain concepts appeared and even to construct questions that tap into the concepts from a slightly different angle, using different numbers.

7. bckilinn27

bckilinn27 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Thanks... i deleted it! I didn't realize I wasn't suposed to do that - hopefully I won't get into trouble!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2008

Thanks, bckilinn27.

9. math challenged

math challenged New Member

Jul 31, 2008

I can not get the drinks guestion or the Sam job question even after reading all the post about it. Can someone please do maybe one of these for me in broken down steps. I need help I will be taking my praxis math for the 3rd time in a week, I must pass this time!:help:

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2008

The first two problems are very similar.

First, some background: rate, as in the distance formula, means a ratio, otherwise known as a fraction. The quantity that comes before the word "in" or the word "per" is in the numerator, and the number that comes after is in the denominator: so "20 miles per hour" translates into math language as
    20 miles
    1 hour​
    The denominator is USUALLY time, but it doesn't HAVE to be. If you've got 10 bags of cookies and there are three cookies in each bag, that's a rate of

3 cookies
    1 bag​

And if we want to know how many cookies there are in all, we can borrow the distance formula, d = rt, and do the math:

d = 3 cookies (10 bags)
    _ _ _ 1 bag

d = 30 cookies​

Clear so far, I hope.

Now what's going on in your first and second problems is that there's more than one rate. Just as "three cookies in a bag" is a rate, so also is "1 job in four hours".

(Think about this for a just a bit: if Sam can do the job in four hours, how much of the job can he do in one hour? It's not going to be the whole job, right? It's going to be a... FRACTION... of the job.)

So please tell me Sam's rate and Lisa's rate and Tom's rate.

And then use what you know about the English language and tell me how many jobs you think are supposed to get done in this problem, and then we'll work through the rest of this problem.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2008

Dunno where math challenged disappeared to, but let's see about the rest of this.

Sam's rate is 1/4 job per hour, Lisa's is 1/6 job per hour, and Tom's is 1/2 job per hour. Since they're working together, we can add their rates together to get a combined rate:

1 + 1 + 1
    4 + 6 + 2 ​
    The common denominator is 12:
    3 + . 2 + . 6 = 11
    12 + 12 + 12 = 12 ​
    And the whole problem results in them doing exactly ONE job together: this is crucial. So, once again slightly misappropriating the distance formula (d=rt), we can substitute in 1 job as the distance and the combined rate of 11/12 and get

1 job = 11 x t
    1 job = 12​
    Then 12/11 = t: they can do the job together in 12/11 hour, or one hour and about five and a half minutes.

The drinks problem works exactly the same way.

12. bckilinn27

bckilinn27 Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

I just wanted to let everyone know that I passed the praxis I. I didn't think I did well since i had to retake the math portion - but, I got my grades back a few wks ago and I did much better than I thought - so good luck to everyone who has to take it - study study study and you will be fine!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 8, 2008

Congratulations, bckilinn27!

14. sjerseyteach

sjerseyteach New Member

Oct 17, 2008

Hey I am going to be taking the Praxis 1 on October 28th and I am very nervous about the math section!!! I have been able to work through most of the problems but I do have a question that I was hoping somebody could help me with.

Two houses are for sale on the same street. The second house has 1,000 square feet less than twice the square feet of the first house. Together the houses have 4.400 square feet. What is the square footage of the first house?

I have tried to solve this problem about 15 problems and I am getting frustrated. Please help!!!!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2008

First house: x square feet.

Second house: 2x-1000 square feet

Both houses: x + 2x-1000 = 4400
    3x -1000 = 4400
    3x = 5400
    x= 1800

1st house: 1800 square feet
    2nd house; 2600 square feet.

Oh, and welcome!!!

16. sjerseyteach

sjerseyteach New Member

Oct 17, 2008

Thanks...I have another one which I have a feeling is another equation.

The Bulldogs won twice as many games as they lost. If they played a total of 36 games. How many games did they win?

17. sjerseyteach

sjerseyteach New Member

Oct 17, 2008

Also I was wondering if anyone knew if they give you the formulas for area and perimeter of figures or if I have to memorize them all. Also do they give you the formulas for the metric system or does they have to be memorized as well and what about conversions: ex: quarts, cups, all that stuff?

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 18, 2008

Let me add to Alice's explanation.

"1000 square feet less than" is an instruction to subtract 1000 square feet from something. In this case, we're instructed to subtract 1000 square feet from the footage of the first house, times two. That's where Alice's "2x-1000" comes from.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 18, 2008

You can handle this as AN equation, or you can handle it as TWO equations. Don't faint, please.

I'm going to use w and L (the latter capitalized only so we don't think it's the number 1) for 'won' and 'lost'.

The first sentence can be translated as "The games the Bulldogs won are twice as many as the games they lost". That's an equation:

w = 2L

If we assume that the Bulldogs didn't tie, then w + L accounts for all the games the Bulldogs played, yes? And we're told that they played a total of 36 games. Now we have another equation:

w + L = 36​
    Now our first equation gives us another name for w: we can call it 2L. That being the case, we can substitute 2L for w in our second equation, pretty up the result by combining like variables (in math-ese, that's simplifying), and then solve for L:

2L + L = 36
    3L = 36
    3L/3 = 36/3
    L = 12​

which tells us how many they lost. But a quick peek back at the question indicates that we need to know how many they won. So back to the original equation:

w = 2L
    w = 2(12)
    w = 24​

20. nmanee

nmanee New Member

Oct 28, 2008

Dear Teachgroupie,
    I would like to take GACE 013, however, I don't sure what material is the best? I bought GACE Basic from Sharon for the first time exam. I was disappointed. Sharon's book was very easy, however, the real exam is totally different from her book. It is closer to Praxis I. So could you let me know which is good material for me to prepare.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 28, 2008

Is it that the book you got didn't cover material that was tested, or that the book you got didn't cover the material in enough depth?

A test taker needs to know the concepts that are listed on the Test Framework, which is online here: http://www.gace.nesinc.com/GA_testframeworks.asp. There's coverage of most of those concepts in many math-review books and in standardized-test practice books for fifth or sixth graders.

22. sjerseyteach

sjerseyteach New Member

Nov 2, 2008

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this sort of problem they have always given me difficulty...If Sara is shorter than Annie and Annie is taller than Hannah who is shortest. That is not an exact problem but just one I made up one from my head. I have a feeling there will be problems like these on the test and these always overwhelm me. Please help!

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2008

Try making several sequences:

If Sara is shorter than Annie, then Annie is taller than Sara:

A > S

And Annie is taller than Hannah:

A > H

And Hannah is shortest, so Sara is also taller than Hannah:

S > H

Now you should be able to tell who's tallest.