Point blank asking new P to be moved

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachCafe, Jun 10, 2015.

1. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jun 10, 2015

We received word that our principal is moving to another school a few weeks ago and on the last PD day we met the new principal for next year.

I've received a resounded "No" from my current P that sped is where it's at for me or I can leave. Not worded like that but definitely a "No you won't be moved out of sped" and to me that's an ultimatum because though I want to stay at the school I refuse to stay in my current position.

Those I trust keep telling me to wait for the new principal becasue they might change things. I've looked and my P pretty much kept people where they wanted to stay or moved people IF THEY wanted to move and if they didn't to placate they were moved with their teaching partner so they can stay a team. In a nutshell, everyone is happy.....but me. Some are eh on moving from 3rd to 2nd, etc but moving with their teaching BFF for the last 3-5 years has softened the blow and they can deal. It's all very clichy.

My it's my inexperienced view but I just cannot see a new principal coming in and shifting things around. Especially me. Our new P has said they want to meet with us this summer to chat and get to know us so the communication is open.

I mean they said straight up "Call me up this summer and we can meet at Starbucks or Panera and talk if you're in town"

I would tell them anyway but would it be pointless to ask? I mean I feel like there could be 100 applicants salivating over my position and every other position open and I'd still get a "No TeachCafe, you're staying in sped" (and after going to a job fair there are MANY salivating over getting in my district and wanting my position)

At this point, I'm resigning anyway because it's either stay in your position, hope your P moves you or resign because transfers are closed and you're locked at your campus....only your P can move you now. I knew Ps had power but this method sounds Godly like....they hold ALL the cards and you're completely powerless....all you can do is leave.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 10, 2015

If it's a new principal with a fresh perspective, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 10, 2015

I was in the same boat four years ago. I introduced myself, told her I was a special education teacher, and told her that I wanted to be moved into a classroom. She told me that she wouldn't be able to do anything for that school year, but I would be moved into a classroom for the next year. I agreed to it, she kept her word, and I'm finishing up my third year in the classroom.

Of course, now there are two SPED openings, and she's trying to move me back, but that's another story.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2015

Most administrators know that SPED burnout is very high so it certainly can't hurt to talk to the new P and just be candid that you need some time out of the SPED position.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 10, 2015

If you are thinking about leaving anyway I don't think you have anything to lose by asking.

7. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jun 10, 2015

I've been checking for the past few weeks and my current P is like lightening trying to get every open position filled up real fast so I'm like "where could I fit?"

gr3teacher
    , I wish I had faith in a principal like that. Mine told me months ago to give them "time" on figuring out where everyone wants to be and that they'd move me if spots are open and IF they can replace me. I could have grabbed the arms of at least 30 people at that job fair who wanted my position, ACPs, experienced people, etc and said "Here! They want to replace me" but I know they wouldn't.

Staying another year is not an option. I know it will be different with a new P who has a SPED background but the same APs are there who act like we're a burden, the kids next year coming up to me are rough, we're getting new paras, I just can't. I've been miserable for way too long and this time I KNOW I'll be calling in the anti-anxiety and depression scripts I'd been sitting on. I don't want to be doped up and on meds to just get up and go to work. That's not what I want but I feel it would be the only way to survive another year :eek:

If anything even if my current school is a no go, I signed my contract with the district for next year. I'm committed to them but now I find out yes that was with the district but now that transfers are done it's all up to your principal.

Is this off sounding or just my district? I would think they would look to the transfer list this summer and see if those on it still wanted to be moved before interviewing candidates brand new, going through all their paperwork, fingerprinting, background checks, etc. We're all in house, on the payroll, paperwork is filed and done. It just seems crazy to me :dizzy: I LOVE the district but man I'd warn people away saying "Be sure you say the right things, play the ultimate game if you want to move around OR be sure you're teaching what you want and your P doesn't like change" because if they switch you and that's that transfers are extremely hard to get and you either stay or have to resign and possibly reapply.

I'd talked to HR and they said I can reapply as a new applicant but I would think I'd be as blackballed as blackballed can be. They say no but I feel I would be. I mean they don't even want to work with people who want to stay and are herded in new applicants so how would I not be blackballed????

The plus to next year is that the new P taught sped before moving to general ed. But.....they taught for 6 years. I can just hear the "give it a few more years" and I just cannot. I don't want to "pay my dues and be granted the general ed fairy dust and a position. I don't like playing games and I've come to see that education at least with this campus is a game. Get in cool with the P, say the right things, Facebook friends, deeply who you know to get what you want. I can't fake that and it comes off fake so I try to get by on my own merits.

And all that's gotten me is "praise" about how great a SPED teacher I am :( I came to teacher to be a teacher. Not a label teacher exclusively. I'm so good at what I do. If so I KNOW and believe I'll be good at something else too.

A few more years will have me fully bankrolling my shrinks salary and I'm done with that.