Poetry Notebooks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ilovefirst, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

I love the poetry notebook/binder idea. I have decided I'm going to use it this year and have gathered a lot of ideas on what to do with them. Now my problem is coming up with more poems. For those of you who do these, what do you use? Do you use the songs that you teach too? Do you use the regular poems you might have on chart paper or do you pick poems that are on an easier level to read? Either way, I don't use enough poems in my classroom to use just those so I need some suggestions.
    :anyone:
    TIA

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2008

Hi Ilovefirst- I find my poems in a variety of places. I always use the poems that we read together in shared reading and I also use a poem about the month of the year. I think this year I might be using Chicken Soup with Rice. Hope that helps. As I reread this is sounds a little vague...

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2008

Oh yes and we also have poems that go with phonics skills that we are working on and I incorporate songs as well.

5. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

oooooooooooo! I had forgotten about those! Thanks!!!!!!! (I wonder how long it would have been before one of my kiddos asked "Why don't we put these poems in our binders?" :lol:

6. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

I use poems, songs, and chants that I will introduce first and then have them add to their books. I also found this book of riddles. There is one per letter of the alphabet. I reduced and copied them to one side of the paper so students can illustrate the answer on the other half...just to make it more interactive and interesting. Because of the varied items I am calling it their Repeated Reading folders.

7. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 19, 2008

Does anyone use poetry in 3rd grade? I used A LOT of it last year in Kindergarten, and the kids really liked it!

8. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2008

I teach 2nd grade and I will tell you....my 2nd graders who are going to 3rd grade this year LOVE poems!!!! I think they will be disappointed if their 3rd grade teacher don't do poems. I think they will like reading poems even if it is not done weekly or put into a poetry notebook. I think that for 3rd grade, you can do so much with poetry notebooks. I have my 2nd graders write responses to the poems that are higher level. For example if they are knowlegeable with making connections, I will ask the students to make a connection to the poem & write a response. I might ask the kids to compare/contrast two poems, I might ask the kids to write about the author's purpose for writing the poem, I even ask the kids to make inferences about the poem like "What do you think the author meant .....". There is so much you can do to incorporate poetry every day with 3rd graders & teach them comprehension skills & higher level thinking. Good luck!:)

9. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

10. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

Thanks firstgradeteach! I was looking at the meacham site earler. :) I also just got the book Fast Start for Early Readers - it has a ton of poems with home stuff to do. I'm thinking I'll use those and then the next week send a copy of the poem home with the suggested activites.

Do you do one a week into the notebook or more than that?

11. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

It depends on the week. Usually two poems a week. One is calendar or holiday realted and the other is a word family poem.