Poetry Lesson

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by MorahMe, Sep 2, 2010.

1. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 2, 2010

My friend has to give a 20 minute model lesson tomorrow in an 8th grade all girls class. The topic she was given is poetry, no other details...we're kind of stuck coming up with a lesson here! What is something she can do, to make a good impression?

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2010

What type of school is it?

Does you friend want to concentrate on the message or on some element of poetry?

4. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 2, 2010

Orthodox Jewish private school.

She wants to incorporate both, but focus more on the message.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2010

Hmmm... "I know Why the Cages Bird Sings" would be good; also "Oh Captain! My Captain!"; maybe a few of Emily Dickinson's poems.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 2, 2010

I love teaching poetry. I have tons of activities.

We read a William Carlos Williams poem and wrote "instant poems" based on the model. We read them and made them into a bulletin board.

I gave them an Emily Dickinson poem with some words missing, and they had to try to figure out the words she'd used. They read their poems, and I had prizes for the ones who figured out the most words. We had discussed her and read several of her poems. We then discussed word choice and did the activity.

We read Sharon Creech's Love That Dog book and analyzed all the poems from the novel. That's a LONG activity . . . several days.

We read and analyzed "Lord Randall" and then analyzed and listened to Bob Dylan's "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall". We did the same thing with "Richard Cory".

Those are a few of the kid favorites.