Poetry for 4th Grade

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by missdq, Jul 19, 2007.

1. missdq

missdq Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Hi, I know its going to take me time to level my kids and start my reading books, so i want to start with simple poetry first. My fourth grade teacher read us poetry and i have loved it ever since. And i want to give that love over to my students as well.

Thing is i like the silly stuff like Shel Silverstein, but i want to teach them about poetry as well, but i don't know where to start. Any suggestions...?

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 19, 2007

Sharon Creech has wonderful books written in poems. My favorite is Love That Dog. Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse is another book written as a series of free-verse poems. Both are very sad so read them at home before reading out loud!

4. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

Sara Holbrook has a lot of great stuff. Two years ago we did a Poetry Slam, and it was a TON of fun. I plan on doing it again this year.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2007

Here is a great assignment I learned from a fellow teacher. I use it with "challenging" poems. I have used "Mushrooms" by Sylvia Plath for this, with 3rd grade. I have done others as well, Shakespeare's sonnets, e.e. cummings "2 little whos", and others. I like introducing "grown up" poets. I have a book that has lots of great poetry for kids, I think it's "stories and poems for incredibly intelligent children?" or something like that. Classics, mostly.

We do shared reading with the poem. I read it a few times and we talk about the feeling of it. Then we go through it line by line. We look at the words we don't know the meaning of, look them up and talk about the vocabulary. I remember "loam" was a great word in that poem.

After we have really discussed the poem to a great depth, the kids choose 8-10 words in the poem that jump out at them, that are meaningful or interesting. Using those words, they write their own poem on any topic they like. I remember we did this and made a class book one year. The topics ranged from cats, to pioneers, to dinosaurs, space, hurricanes... it was really fantastic. The poems were wonderful, and one kiddo won that contest, which was through the paper and available for kids 9-16! He was 9!

I also usually read poems aloud during any spare moment I can. I like "All the Small Poems" by Valerie worth, and of course Silverstein. I read a huge variety.

6. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

There once was a girl named Jean,
    Who fell in a washing machine,
    she tumbled around,
    till she almost drowned,
    but she came out remarkably clean.

There once was a man of South Bay,
    making fireworks one summer day,
    he dropped his cigar,
    in the gun powder jar,
    there once was a man of South Bay.

Author unknown, but my favorites from a limerick unit

7. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 20, 2007

What is a Poetry Slam?

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 20, 2007

I have used poetry notebooks in the past. Kids copied favorite poems they read (I got a collection of books from the library), kept their samples of different types of poems I handed out, and kept original poetry they wrote.

9. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

A Poetry Slam is a competitive poetry performance. Students read their own (or someone elses, we did both) and are judged by the audience.

When we did it, we did a few multiple voice poems as a class first, as just a performance. Then we had groups do group poems, and then each individual performed a poem. I invited other classes (we did it in the library) and handed out a random ticket to 10 -20 kids to vote. I think we called it a Poetry Jam when we did it, since we were doing the performing of other poet's work. It was a lot of fun. The kids got into it, and the audience was really nice to everyone.

10. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

11. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado