Poetry Coffee House Lesson!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by SouthernBuckeye, Feb 3, 2009.

1. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Feb 3, 2009

I'm doing with my 8th grade language arts (resource) class and I just wanted to share.

We've been doing a poetry unit, and we'll be wrapping it up next week. For our cumulative activity, we'll be doing a poetry coffee house. I got a huge stacks of poetry books from our school library and I let the kids choose 1 poem each to read out of the books. Tomorrow, we'll be in the computer lab researching the author of the poem that they chose. I'm going to have them fill in a simple worksheet that asks for the author's name, birthday, famous works, and 2-3 other facts about them.

Then we're going to rehearse a little bit on Thursday, Friday, and Tuesday and our coffee house will be Wednesday next week. They'll each introduce their poem with the facts they found on their author, and then read the poem out loud. I'm going to decorate my classroom with some Christmas lights, and I borrowed a party size coffee maker from our home ec teacher to heat up water in and I'll be bringing instant coffee, tea, and hot chocolate for them to drink and some cookies!

I also e-mailed the whole school staff about it and lined up a couple "guests" for both class periods. One of our AP's is coming to read a poem, a guidance counselor, and two other teachers. :D

The kids are really excited, and I am too! Plus this can be adapted to any level--I am an EC teacher so these classes are resource, but if I had gifted/talented I might have them read their own poems AND one by a famous poet and explain the meaning behind it or something like that.

Anyways, I just wanted to share. It's going to be a lot of fun and I thought maybe someone else would like to give it a try. :)

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Feb 3, 2009

That sounds like a great idea! I am sure the kids will love it and be so proud of themselves.

4. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Feb 3, 2009

What a wonderful idea! That seems like a great way to illustrate the enjoyment that can be found in sharing poetry with friends. :thumb: :thumb:

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 3, 2009

I've seen this done and it is a great evening for the students. Good for you!

6. SouthernBuckeye

Feb 3, 2009

Thanks all!

I'll post about how it all goes when we actually do it next week.

7. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 3, 2009

I did this for a speech class in college - though we had a campus coffee shop - I really like this idea.

8. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

I may try something like that. I would have to adapt it for my fifth graders, but I think they would enjoy it. Thanks for sharing!

9. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

Poetry is the main topic of the next marking period for my 7th graders, and I am dreading it very much! This idea sounds great! Even I could get into it!

I look forward to hearing how it goes for you and your class!

-Mr.MiddleSchool

10. SouthernBuckeye

Feb 5, 2009

I actually got this idea from a 5th teacher who did it with 5th graders. I just adapted it for the older kids. ;)

11. sciencewrestler

sciencewrestler Rookie

Feb 5, 2009

Don't mean to sound like a party-pooper, but is it a good idea to serve drinks to kids - coffee in particular - that contain caffiene? I am a major coffee drinker (5-6 cups per day) so I have no problem with caffiene itself, and I'll admit I have little experience with kids + coffee/tea, but after seeing what colas can do to some kids after lunch period :eek: I thought I would point this out.

And if I'm not mistaken, some religions forbid indulging in foods containing caffiene.

On a lighter note......along with the coffee I hope the kids get some education on the beatnik culture! :D Black turtlenecks and berets are kewl man.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 5, 2009

Herbal teas should do nicely for those who would do better without the caffeine - and I'm guessing most colas will juice kids substantially more than will most teas, these days. I have fond memories of drinking tea in the reading teacher's classroom before school just about every morning when I was in high school.

(But kewl? Anachronism! Anathema! That pronunciation can't have come in any earlier than Valley Speak, which would've been in the late seventies at the earliest.)

13. sciencewrestler

sciencewrestler Rookie

Feb 5, 2009

^ I used kewl in place of "cool" (and I really mean the attitude of cool) because the latter has become so ANTI-beatnik these days i.e. it's now commonly used to sell mundane things like vacuum cleaners and wart remover & in the process has become so watered down IMO it has lost much of its original meaning.

Oh and during the party, maybe some appropriate music should be playing in the background, say something like Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue album - Kenny G and other "smooth jazz":help:does not qualify as coffeehouse music! ;)(to me anyway)