Poetry Cafe

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by suziesosa, May 31, 2012.

1. suziesosa

suziesosa Rookie

May 31, 2012

]This year in my 2nd grade classroom, we studied poetry and turned blankbooks into Poetry Anthologies. We celebrated with a Poetry Cafe, a classroom event which brought in families to celebrate writing. It was a huge success. We dressed in all black and recreated a coffee house from the 50s. I made felt berets for my students and decorated my classroom in black, set a stage, and set ambiance with battery operated candles at each cafe table (2 student desks pushed together, covered with black tablecloth). The parents loved it! As you walked into the classroom, I set up a "Poetree" a tree full of original poems from my students. This bulletin board is now a top ten national finalist in a bulletin board contest. You can see and vote (if you enjoy it) here: http://www.teachhub.com/battle-of-the-boards/finalists
    I am always looking for great writing units to do with my students. What units have you loved creating in your classroom? Any specific writing units with an event attached would be great to hear about!

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 31, 2012

Very Cool.

4. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 31, 2012

NICE!! I voted for you and will probably steal your idea =)

5. teachart

teachart Comrade

May 31, 2012

The 5th graders at my school just did a very similar thing!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 31, 2012

Sounds like so much fun!

7. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

May 31, 2012

What a cool idea!!

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 1, 2012

We do this in my classroom! In fact, this year, for Black History month, we hosted a Poetry/Writing coffee house assembly. We had representatives from each classroom write or read poems/writing from famous African American authors/poets. We even taught the audience how to snap their fingers instead of clap,since such readings were "underground" for many years.
    At the end of the year, our 5th graders also write anthologies. We then host a Poetry Slam, where we have 5 representatives from each room (4 classrooms) read their original poems to a panel of judges. One student is then chosen for our Poetry Slam award.
    I love your ideas and I plan on incorporating them into our poetry unit next year!

9. suziesosa

suziesosa Rookie

Jun 1, 2012

Great Ideas

I like the idea of tying in African American Poetry during Black History month. Maybe we can do this as a precurser to our anthologies. A "Poetry Slam" sounds great too for the school. We did the same thing with our audience and had them snap instead of clap!

10. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jun 1, 2012

awww i love that idea!! way to go!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2012

I'm having a class poetry jam cafe next week. We are wearing black, passing a bongo drum, playing jazz music, encouraging the audience to snap...yup...we are cool...and hip...and groovy...can you dig it?