Poetry Binders, Notebooks, or Folders?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Kirby, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 2, 2009

For the past two years I have done Poetry Binders in my class as a center and it's been great! However, this year, binders have yet to go on sale at Staples and I don't know if they will. So I'm thinking of other means.

Option 1: Spiral Notebooks
    They will open up their notebook, glue the poem to the left page with a gluestick, highlight specific things in the text as they read, and illustrate on the right page. I also like the idea of the kids making a table of contents and numbering the pages. But will the pages just stick together? Will the gluestick be less mess? Will the pages fall out?

Option 2: 3 Prong Folders
    I will already have the poems 3 hole punched, and the kids will put the poems in the prongs. They'll do the same activities as above but illustrate on the same sheet. But then again, will it be a hassle to teach the kids how to use the prongs? Will the prongs break? Will we overstuff the folders by adding a new poem every week?

3. lareed

lareed Companion

Aug 2, 2009

i have done the notebooks and it was ok. Some kids use too much glue so it can be messy and the pages stick together. I use pronged folders for calendar math and once I showed them how to do the prongs most caught on and then helped those who hadn't. I think I like the idea of folders better. I also think the folders could hold quite a bit.

4. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

I am in the same boat. I used notebooks last year and the pages were CONSTANTLY falling out. Drove me nuts, esp. cuz the kids could never figure out who it belonged to-sigh. This year I too want to get the pronged folders and am waiting for Staples or OM to have them cheap! Fingers crossed.

5. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I use a spiral notebook and have no problem. I have the kids cut around the text and glue it in. Then they draw the picture on the same page.

6. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I have used spiral notebooks. I do not suggest it. The pages fell out CONSTANTLY. They just did not hold up to the strain. If you can't get binders, I would use the prong folders. Then you wouldn't have the issue of glue making the whole notebook a solid mass. I think as long as you teach them how to use the prongs, you'll be ok. (which should be fairly easy to do, my first graders use those brad fasteners all the time - and catch on pretty quick)

7. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Have you thought about using composition books? The pages are sewn in so they are less likely to fall out. There would be plenty of pages for a two page spread for a poem a week.

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 2, 2009

Composition books would be nice, but they are expensive. (50 cents isn't really expensive I guess, but I want to limit them to 25 cents each).

Okay, maybe I'll use the 3 prong folders that are on sale at Office Max...

9. mrs.groves

mrs.groves Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

I agree. Spirals are a nightmare..I used them last year at it was always a mess with pages falling out. I have also tried pronged folders but my kids could never do them very well and it ended up being such a hastle for me so I never wanted to add poems.

So, this summer I bought a class set of composition notebooks from Wal-mart. $10.00 seems like alot but it saves me ALOT of headache later on. My kids really loved their poetry notebooks and I do too.

I have all my poems on posters with hangers (I just box taped the hanger to the back) and they stay on a hanging clothes rack from Wal-mart. This is awesome because my kids can take them off and use them and put them back.

I just did 1 poem a week last year but I think I am going to do 2 this year. 1 word family poem/skill we are learning, 1 fun seasonal poem.

10. lsc

lsc Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

poetry center

This sounds like a neat idea--please fill me in onthe details for the center.

11. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I used spirals for the past two years and have never had any problem with pages falling out. I like using them rather than folders because then I don't have to assemble anything.

12. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

What price are you looking for them at?

Classroom Direct has 1/2 inch binders for 89 cents. I know its not great but if you have a small class it might work.

13. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I used the spiral notebooks last year with my first graders - what a nightmare! They used too much glue, pages stuck together (no matter how many times you told them one dot-not a lot!) The pages also fell out. They are not up to the ware 'n tear that little hands put on them.

I have been thinking folders too, but w/ first graders I don't think they would understand the 3 prong thing.
    Sooo...I've been thinking of just regular folders and just keeping our poems in the folders in no particular order. It's not ideal, but it's all I can think of.

14. mrs.groves

mrs.groves Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

I have the poem on a poster as well as breaking it into sentences for the students to arrange in order on a pocket chart. They also get to use pointers to read the poem. Sometimes I print off a copy for them and cut it out and they have to glue it back together in order once they arrange it on the chart.

We use the poem that week during Shared Reading as a class also. I got lots of ideas from Meacham's website: http://www.jmeacham.com/shared.reading.htm

Also, when we do it as a class we go through and circle the word family we are studying with a vis-a-vis.

I have a whole word doc. of my poems but it is on my school computer. PM me if you want me to email it to you.

15. scgatorgirl

scgatorgirl Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

Why don't you let them use the notebooks or the prong folders with notebook paper and let them copy the poems? I know it might take a little time for them since you do 2nd grade but it works on their handwriting and it will help them remember the poems better. Also, illustrations would be better on the left than the right because kids usually assosciate the left page as the back of the previous one, not the main page.

16. mrs.groves

mrs.groves Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

For me, teaching 1st grade I let them write them last year and it wasn't very successful. So many of them didn't finish and ended up with alot of incomplete poems that was just a hastle for me to put back up for them to finish. So, this year I thought I would type all of them up and let them glue stick them in so they would at least have a complete poem on each page.

I think 2nd graders and higher would be capable of writing the poem neatly depending on the length of the poem.

17. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

I used composition notebook for many years with no problems. Occasionally I had students use too much glue and the pages will stick together but overall it worked great. I'm not too keen on the use of folders with prongs because after a while, the prongs will wear and break off. It's also easier for me to type the poem out and reuse the copy every year & file it, instead of having the kids copy the poem. I can imagine the time this will take especially for early 2nd graders. I remember how long it took my 2nd graders to illustrate their mental image and write a quick response. I always had to push some of them to hurry, so I can imagine how long it would take for them to copy.

18. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 3, 2009

Man, I am more confused than ever now!

I want to keep the cost under 25 cents each, whatever I choose to do. Maybe I'll wait and see if the binders go on sale next week. I'd do composition notebooks if they were on sale for 25 cents but I doubt it.

19. CollegeStudent1

CollegeStudent1 Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

OfficeMax currently have the 2-Pocket Basic or Prong Folders for .01!

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 3, 2009

I just used regular 2-pocket folders last year, but we didn't start poetry center until February. They did one poem per week so everything fit in the folder well.