Poetry and Math Notebooks? (or, creative uses for composition books....)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 21, 2010.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2010

I have availed myself of the fabulous Walmart price on composition books (25 cents each), in the hopes of using them pretty extensively this year.

One of the ways I am considering is as a poetry notebook. If you have one, how do you handle it? Do you keep them and hand them out as needed? Do the students work in them every day/week? Do the students paste/copy the poem into their book, then illustrate it?

Last year, I tried a very involved math notebook for my kids (calendar math, ala beth newington, etc.) and they quickly lost interest. I am wondering how to do this better this year. Ideas, anyone???

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

My kids have a 3 ring binder for a poetry notebook- I copy and hole punch for them. I choose seasonal poems, poems related to content, some poems to illustrate poet's craft...I do some word work when we read the poems together as well. You could do the same and then have them trim the poems to fit in the comp notebooks and glue in...they could also illustrate.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2010

I have several books of poetry, including Perfect Poems for Teaching Phonics, 70 Wonderful Word Family Poems, and Perfect Poems for Teaching Sight Words (plus some anthologies). I'm thinking about tying the poems into our phonics and high-frequency word studies. I'm required to follow our basal, but I can embellish it! (or is a better word enhance?)

5. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

We used composition books for everything.
    The students had classwork notebook, reference notebook, homework notebook, and Work Station notebook. (Also a math Journal but the school provided spirals for that.)

All classwork that had to be written and wasn't a worksheet or Station went in the classwork notebook. The reference Notebook included Vocabulary, Math and Science notes we required them to take. For instance the weeks vocabulary as well as reading vocabulary (genre, mystery, plot... etc) for Math all the work we did that was teacher led was copied into the notebook. Science vocab and notes as well. The reference notebook could go home to study for tests and when parents wanted to know what we were working on because their student needed help. Workstations was strictly for the reading and math workstation work.
    Each notebook was color coded as well.

6. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

I have my kids do Night Writes in a composition notebook. Their first assignment is to decorate the notebook with pictures or things that represent themselves. We do 2-3 assignments a week. You can assign topics or let them do free writing and when you do it you usually assign a length of time (10-15 minutes). I had great success with it this year, their writing really improved because they were able to write about things they chose with their own interpretations. I am also going to include grammar in it this year. For example, if they were to write what their favorite part of summer was they could also circle all the verbs.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2010

Ooo...I like that MissJill!!

8. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

It was really fun because you get to learn a lot about the kids too. I made a check list every month of the assignments that needed to be included in their Night Write. This year I'm also going to keep one to model with (I didn't do that last year and it was a big mistake).

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 21, 2010

Or maybe a dialogue journal. I did that with my kids one year. I wrote to them and they wrote back-we did them several days a week. Didn't care about spelling or handwriting or anything else-just something fun for them to write.

I think the poetry journal is a great idea-they could glue in the poem and then write about it-I give my kids specific questions-what are the sound words, which words make you picture something in your mind, what's your favorite part, etc. They could even write their own poems as the year progresses.

Math you could do like a "Number of the Day" where they would write math facts or shapes, things they can think of pertaining to that number. If is was 5 for example, 5 fingers, 5 toes, pentagon, nickel, 3+2. My kids love doing that every day-more challenging as the numbers get higher! :)