Poems

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SaraFirst, Jan 24, 2008.

1. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jan 24, 2008

I usually have my first graders put a poem in their poetry folder once a week. Sometimes it is a short poem to practice fluency, other times it is a longer poem to teach different skills. I haven't done a very good job of incorporating poetry this year. How does everyone else do it? Do you read a poem to the students each day or give them a new poem each day/week? Do you read them for several days? Thanks!

3. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Jan 24, 2008

My partner has been teaching poetry with handwriting, because it seems like we could never fit it all in. She uses the document camera to project lined paper onto the screen. She writes 1-2 lines a day, discussing formation, spaces, etc. while the children copy the poem onto lined paper. She can then take a handwriting grade weekly. After they have written the poem, a large copy of the poem which is written on chart paper is placed in the Shared Reading Center for them to read during workstations. She then has a poetry station where they cut out a copy of the poem (which she types) and glues into a spiral. Then they illustrate the poem. She also writes the poem onto sentence strips and they use a pocket chart to put them in order.

In writer's workshop, I do Poetry Mondays where we read poems and then the children write their own. We just completed our concrete poems and they are so cute!

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 24, 2008

Good for you, SaraFirst... I love poetry. I can't imagine first graders writing long poems...... Most of the 4th and 5th graders I teach would have a difficult time writing a long poem......

Major...:)

5. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Jan 24, 2008

We don't write long poems either, ha! In fact, most of our poems (in first grade) don't rhyme. At first, kids think all poems have to rhyme, but after lots of read alouds then they start to think differently. This is the first year that I've done poems in Writer's Workshop, I've always been scared to teach poetry. My curriculum support person is leading me in this direction. I have really enjoyed it and the kids do to.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 24, 2008

Usually we have a poem of the week. I write it on chart paper and each day we read it during morning meeting. Echo read, choral read, find sight words, find rhyming words, practice fluency, etc. I also have a poetry center where I type up the poem, hole punch them, and they put them in their poetry binders at that center. Sometimes I use songs or chants that have to do with the content we are studying, sometimes it's just a poem that focuses on sight words or blends.

7. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Jan 24, 2008

I would like to use poetry to help with fluency in my 4th and 5th grades. Which books do you use?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2008

I have monthly groupings of poems- each poem gets popped into students' poetry notebooks. We section off each month with the appropriate month's chicken soup with rice poem. Then 1 or 2 poems per week to go with the content we are studying, themes, seasons, time of the year. We do word work in the poems- looking for specific sounds (long a, short i...), compound words, rhyming words...Discuss the poet's craft, visualization, discuss vocabulary and interesting word choice...Choral read, partner read, sometimes the kids act out the poems....They put into notebooks and illustrate...

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 24, 2008

I have a month poem from Maurice Sendak's Chicken Soup With Rice Book and a weekly poem that is mostly thematic. I try for the weekly poems to have sight words, theme words we are studying, or word families. All of them go into a folder with brads that we do different things with. One thing I have started doing lately is taking them with us while we take group restroom breaks. They sit in the hall and read the poems while they are waiting. They love this now and are upset when we don't take them :)
    We also do different word work with them - finding letters, finding sounds, blends, same letter as your name at the beginning/end.

10. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jan 25, 2008

Thanks! The fluency poems came from a Scholastic book called Perfect Poems for Building Fluency or something like that. I'm pretty sure they have them for upper grades too.

11. Just_Beginning2

Just_Beginning2 Rookie

Jan 28, 2008

I am doing poetry with my 2nd and 3rd graders and found even at that age they have trouble coming up with their own creative ideas and therefore give up very easily or write poems that are really more of a description. To get around this and help motivate them I started giving them a somewhat format to follow. For instance, we did a sense poem where they filled in:
    I see....
    I smell....
    I taste...
    I feel...
    I hear...
    And we added I think....
    students picked a place and described it this way. After they finished the ideas (they had to use their best poetic language) they took away words they didnt need (they elimanted all of the above words) and had quite beautiful poems. Here is one they wrote together as a small group using this formate:
    Waves crashing against the sea
    Seagulls squawking overhead
    Salty water tickling my tongue
    Breeze spraying the ocean air
    Sand between my fingers
    I don't ever want to leave
    I thought this was pretty good :)

12. Just_Beginning2

Just_Beginning2 Rookie

Jan 28, 2008

Not to take over your thread.... but Haikus are also great to do because you can also do a lesson on syllabication. My kids really got a lot out of creating Haikus