Poems That Are Great For Comprehension Practice! (deeper meaning)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Youngteacher226, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2011

Hello all,
    I am a FIRM believer in doing a Poem of the Week activity in my classroom every year. I use the poem of the week to teach text structures, grammar, interesting use of language, and most importantly comprehension strategies that are needed to be successful on our NYS standardized tests. We discuss things like who the speaker might be, how we would describe the speaker in the poem, what do we envision as we read the poem, what do we think will most likely happen next, what the poem is mostly about (main idea) etc. I use the same kind of questioning used on old tests. And they complete these activities in their poetry notebooks, one activity a day.

I am interesting in finding more "comprehension heavy" poems, meaning not so much rhyming poems or cute poems but poems that have a deeper meaning. Also poems that are fun but require the students to make inferences about what's really going on.
    I would love for you to share any poems you use in the classroom or poems that you know about that are good for a third grade classroom! My kids LOVE poetry so some new poems will be great, especially since I basically use the same poems year to year and I'm growing a bit bored with the ones I have.
    Thanks a bunch!:):thumb:

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2011

I found it helpful to view other state tests when putting together math practice activities. Most states have past tests available to print. That might be a good resource for you to try.

Could you please share a few samples of poems you have enjoyed using?

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 6, 2011

I was just going to post something similar-so I'll be looking at the responses you get!:)

I always use Robert Frost, Stopping By the Woods, Jack Prelutsky-there's one, I think it's called "Class Pest"-the whole thing is about this class bully and at the end you find out it's a girl-not what was expected. He also has one, "Confession" about not doing your homework, procrastinating and at the end you find out it's the teacher who's talking ;).

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 6, 2011

When I was in elem school I absolutely loved descriptive poems like "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" like KinderCowgirl mentioned. They put me right in the scene. Though this may be a tad advanced for your group (I didn't encounter it until 7th/8th grade) what about William Carlos Williams' "The Red Wheelbarrow"? It's so simple upon first read, but you can get into the nitty-gritty on each line since its so short.

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2011

Where do you find your poem of the week for every week while in school? Is there a book or a website for this?

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2011

Thanks everyone for your ideas! Heavens54, I use a variety of resources to get a poem for every week. Mostly, I plan ahead. I started collecting poems during my 1st year of teaching and just stored them in a file folder. What I did was started collecting familiar poems by familiar authors (Shel Siverstein, Jack Petrusky sp?) etc. then type the poem on a word document. When I decide on the poem I want for that week, I print off the poem and make enough copies for all students. Then all week long we read the poem for shared reading and do the activities. On Fridays, they cut out the poem and glue it in their notebooks. As the year goes on, they have a great collection of poems and at the end of the year, they are so excited to take the notebook home to share w/ families etc.
    So basically, I find poems around hoidays, special events, seasons, and most importantly, poems that correlate with content the students are learning in math, science & social studies. I use online resources, I purchased about 3-4 books of children's poems I found on Amazon & teacher's stores and as I come across poems that I like, I save them. I'm always on the job to find new poems. :lol:

8. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Jan 10, 2011

I love this idea and am starting an ELA position soon. Would you share some of the titles of the poems that you've used with success?

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 10, 2011

I was going to ask a grades 3-5 version of this question because students normally don't see poems as often as non-fiction or fiction and it is a genre on standardized tests. I know for a fact Scholastic has some great poems, some of them songs, reinforcing younger student content such as science.