Poem of the week

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 2, 2009

I am thinking about incorporating a poem of the week into my classroom. However, I am not finding a lot of resources for finding these weekly poems. Does anyone have a good suggestion?

I'll be teaching second grade this school year.

3. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

4. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

My friend has the poem of the week book too, it's great. I just google poems for kids, or I get more specific, ex. snow poems for kids...whatever fits the season, month, what we're studying, etc. They love doing fluency poems in 2nd. It's neat to record their 1st reading on Mon., and then again on Fri and have them listen to both to hear how much better they get with repeated readings.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 2, 2009

I use a lot of songs and chants that we use for science and social studies themes. Also, I have several teacher resource books that have poems for teaching sight words, blends, digraphs, etc.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

I share AT LEAST a poem a week with my class and they then pop in thier poetry notebooks and illustrate. The poems I use are collected from a variety of sources- the internet, poetry books, teacher kinds of books...I love that you can hit so many teaching points with poems- fluency, choral reading, paying attention to punctuation, word work, visualizing, vocabulary-some poems I even tie to content areas such as SS and Science...

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

Czacza, I can't remember.. are you 2nd grade?

I really like your idea. I could also use student written poetry and work on presentation, response, and it would just be good for them to have the class paste and illustrate each others' poems!

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

I am grade 2, Shelly! Sometimes after snack or between activities, my kids will pull out the notebooks and re-read old poems with a partner. If we have time, kids 'present' poems...each taking a stanza or acting the poem out...it's really a nice way to make poetry come alive and still teach into them as well.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

czacza, do you copy or retype your poems for your students?

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

Mostly I re-type ones from books or other resources...I like playing around with font a bit to evoke the 'feel' of the poem.

12. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

I am right there with you on everything you said!!! Fonts, how you use the poetry, kids re-reading with partners...It's like you wrote what I was thinking.

13. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

Cool!! You know what they say...great minds...:cool:;)

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 2, 2009

I have a kazillion of them on a webpage (you can't actually access it from my website, I just use it for storage.) You can access it at http://www.quia.com/pages/granbypoetry.html They are all poems I found on the internet one year.

Hope you find something you can use.

16. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

Poem Of The Week is great! I've been doing it since my 1st year of teaching and it has been well worth it!! I found most of my poems in poetry resource books for kids, Jack Petruski (sp?) collection, I google them, I find them everywhere. The great thing about this is that once you type them out, you can save them on your computer or just print off a copy and file them for the next year. I've been doing that and adding a few more here and there as well.
    Unfortunately, I am looping with my kids from 2nd to 3rd next year so I won't be able to use the same poems, but I am excited about finding new poems for them. They will have all the poems in their notebooks from last year and tons of new poems at the end of next year. I think doing this is definately worth the time and effort especially thinking about all the things you can teach into through the use of poems.

17. Irma

Irma Companion

Aug 3, 2009

The Learning A-Z website has a great resource for poetry.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2009

Thanks, Rain!! I bookmarked it!